Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #57

We replaced all our rims and tires and went with the Sailun S637 @ 110psi. 14 ply G rated for 4080 lbs each. 5ver Came from Jayco with the 80psi rims and Ranier 235-80R-16. Got the whole package tires mounted and balanced and the 110psi rims from trailertiresandwheels.com. Great price, quick service. We are very happy as it pulls better and inspires confidence we have done what we could to avoid the dreaded blowouts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #58

I replaced all my tires Aug 2015 with the Power King Tow Max tires. I don't know what I was thinking, bought them from Tire Kingdom. I never heard of these things but they told me that is all they carry and I bought one they had in stack and rolled to S Florida for work. While there I went and bough 3 more and so I was rolling on 4 new ones. Well now it is 8 months later and I have blown 3. I do travel back and forth from the gulf coast Tampa to the Miami FTL area about every other week so they get used but still 3 tires in 8 months. Today's blowout tore my fender well off the trailer and caused some damage.

I am reading all these forums and seems many opinions vary if one is to stay with the 235/80R16 80 Lb PSI rated tires. Are any manufactures making tires in the US anymore?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #59

JChet, I am on my second set of Towmax tires. First set I got about 30,000 miles out of them, Alaska and back from the east coast and a trip to the west coast, not easy miles. I then replaced them with Cooper Crosswinds and had issues with separation and blow out, in fact loss the entire wheel. I just put a 4 new Towmax on my 5th wheel, based on the DOT # they were manufactured in the USA. So fingers crossed, not a lot of options out there.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #60

Quote:
I am reading all these forums and seems many opinions vary if one is to stay with the 235/80R16 80 Lb PSI rated tires. Are any manufactures making tires in the US anymore?
There are no ST235/80R-16 E load range tires made in the USA.

As was mentioned earlier these tires are noted through out the trailer world (rv and non rv trailers) as "blow max" as you found out for good reason.

Before china ever made tires for the US market all ST tires were made in the USA by Firestone/Goodyear/Cooper/BFG and other major tire makers....and we had the same type problems with them.

Most folks like yourself that put lots of miles on a heavy trailer per year don't use ST tires. With a 3-5 year life their to expensive compared to a 8-10 year life of a LT tire.

Then on the flip side some folks have good luck with them on smaller trailers that may see 6k-8k miles a year with very few long trips at interstate speeds.

For other brand tires for your heavy trailer see my #9 post above. These tire will go the distance at any speed.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchet View Post
I replaced all my tires Aug 2015 with the Power King Tow Max tires. I don't know what I was thinking, bought them from Tire Kingdom. I never heard of these things but they told me that is all they carry and I bought one they had in stack and rolled to S Florida for work. While there I went and bough 3 more and so I was rolling on 4 new ones. Well now it is 8 months later and I have blown 3. Are any manufactures making tires in the US anymore?
These were on my RV OEM. I compared them to Tow Max (aka Blow Max) - Made by the same company, same tread pattern, couldn't get the manufacturer to indicate what the difference was. I suspect - suspect - that they are a re-brand of the same tire.

The tires you want are Sailun 235/80-16's. You have to order them. Yes, they are made in China, but they are almost 100% heavier per tire than your Trailer Kings.... $140-$170 each, but likely a lot cheaper than the damage caused by 3 blow-outs.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #62

Evergreen Owners Club
I'm replacing tires on my 5th wheel(GVWR=16,221) after 3 of my tires failed on our trip last weekend. On the back of the rim I can't find the psi rating. Mine have the lb. rating of 3960 LBS stamped on there and they are 16x6.50 rims. Can anyone tell me if these are 110 psi rims or what. I'm not sure what tire and valve stem i'm rated to go with and I need to get some ordered asap.

Thanks, Scott
powermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #63

I've been reading this thread with interest, since I am about to replace the tires on my Cardinal 31SB. It takes 235 80R 16 and the Hurcules tire for it is in the Power STR line. Does anyone know if these are US made? I see that the parent company is Cooper (Findlay, OH), but I can't seem to find out where these are made.

Thanks

Keep rollin' along!
2009 Cardinal 31SB; 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab with Curt 16K Rolling Hitch
jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I just replaced the china bombs on our 2 week old Cougar 5th wheel... No we are not made of money,,, but after much reading and research I went with Maxxis,,, M8008 10 ply to replace the D rated 8 ply china things... These are 15" wheels so I was a little limited,, but feel much better now.... (in my mind,,, time will tell in the middle of NM or AZ)
Same situation here. I don't have a fifth wheel but I swapped my 15in st's to 16in BFG commercial LT's. I have the room for 235/85/16's but don't need the capacity and didn't want the trailer any higher than it is. I have a 9,995 GVW and the tires were good for like 10,xxx.

I had load range E maxxis on my old trailer and they were great. I just felt like this time with a new trailer I should make the jump to 16's that way I have a dozen options and I can cruise at 68mph and pass at 70-75 with no worries.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #65

Excel Owners Club
What ever wheel/tire you end up with, make sure you don't overload them, keep them at the right pressure, I use a TPMS, and don't exceed the tire's speed rating. If you haven't already done it, get your rig weighted with a full wet, trip ready load.

I use the GY G614s on my FW, wheels exceed the 100psi I carry in them for my load. I had the dealer remove the tires that were mounted for the GY G614s before I took the unit off their lot. NO problems after a couple of years now.

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tires