Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
5th wheel to gooseneck adapter

I'm looking into changing over my 5th wheel to a gooseneck to get rid of that big 5th wheel taking up all that room in my truck. I see there's a few different adapters out there. Does anyone have any ideas on what one to go with. I'm leaning to the Eaz lift through Camco.

Thanks
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you thought about the extra torque that will be placed on the gooseneck by adding an extension to get rid of the 5 wheel?

IMO there will be additional stress placed on the trailer when towing.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

Have you considered the Anderson fifth wheel hitch?

They're the lightest hitch on the market, and a completely different approach to hitches. They're easily removed by one person.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

The best way for getting rid of the 5th hitch IMO is the Anderson Hitch or the Reese Goosebox. Goosebox you get air ride also.
Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

What brand 5th wheel do you have and is it out of all warranties? Because as soon as you install the gooseneck, your warranty is null and void with most manufacturers.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
I Have a 2014 sundance that's 38' and 13,830 pounds. The RV dealership where I bought the RV, sells and installs the gooseneck adapters as an option when buying an RV. I live in a very rural area and I noticed some farmers getting their 5th wheels converted to goosenecks. The Adapter that I first mentioned is rated for 30,000 pounds.
I Thank you for telling me your thoughts. I'm Really on the fence here. I'm Disabled so I can't be installing and removing the 5th wheel when I need the truck. I Did look at the Anderson system but I'd be in the same boat as the 5th wheel.

Thank you everyone!!!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with using a Gooseneck adapter is that it'll act like a lever and put A LOT of extra stress on the front frame section of the 5th wheel. There have been A LOT of post where people have actually had the welds break on the front frame sections of their 5th wheels while using a gooseneck adapter.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
The Adapter that I first mentioned is rated for 30,000 pounds.
Doesn't matter what the rating is on the adapter, the fiver frame is much weaker than any of them, and absolutely no one can guarantee your frame will safely handle the added stress. And good luck getting anyone to warranty your frame against failure. Plenty of people don't have problems, but if there is an issue, repairs will cost about $5000 and may not happen at the best time.

Some people leave the hitch hanging on the king pin, others use an electric hoist to lift the hitch out of the truck bed.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

Look into a B & W gooseneck/ fifth wheel combo. I had one & it was quick to remove the fifth wheel hitch if need be.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Thank you everyone for helping me out with this matter! I can see the issue with the lever action of the adapter. I'll stick with the equipment I already own, the 5th wheel.

Thanks again!!!
Matt
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

You can also think that in some states (ca) you can ride in a fifth wheel with communication and tempered windows and not a gooseneck. While as a youth my family had a horse ranch and we ordered a six horse trailor with the fiver hitch so a groom could ride in trailor with horses and yup the first 10 ft of the horse trailor was a well appointed camper. If you install the gooseneck adaptor no one could ride in trailor.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #12

The Goosebox conversion pin box is rated for up to 16,000 lbs. not sure what your weight is. It's also approved by Lippert for use on their frames. Does not void any warranty. It is pricy at generally around $1000. But you have no hitch to remove. It doesn't void your warranty. It doesn't "leverage" the same as a traditional conversion adapter. It's air ride! You've got a clean bed when you're not towing. Could be less pin weight then your current setup. Did I mention it's air ride?? Lol it's a really nice setup. My dealer installed mine at the time I picked it up for $1095 OTD. My wife and I love ours, wouldn't go any other way.
Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I bought an engine hoist from Harbour Freight which I use to pull the hitch in and out of the truck. Takes 10 minutes and its done. The thing folds up pretty small.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, ada