Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
Originally Posted by sometimers View Post
I appreciate the debate that I seem to have started, as I personally have learned a great deal reading you folks replies .I have the tel all numbers of weights from the scale today. they are as follows .

My T.V. 1/2 tank of fuel approx 150 lbs my Reese 18 k hitch ( that's obvious Lol) and me 180 lbs

My trailer loaded to where we would set out on the road, 2 half full propane tanks approx 30 pounds , fridge is full, pantry full as we put it .kids cloths our cloths ,basement our fire pit ,sun tent chairs ground cover and so on 1/2 tank of fresh water approx 40 gallons, other tanks prob 2 or 3 gal in each , in back tall storage have the tools compressor BBQ etc . I can't see us adding much more .

Front axel in the middle of the scale 5026.5 lbs
Rear axel in the middle of the scale 5842.6 lbs
Tandem trailer axel in middle of the scale 13,205.6

Thank you
Warren & Amy
You didn't start anything. This forum is a bit over the top. Certain members continually attacking others that have a different perspective/opinion .
Some folks want to use all of the manufactures numbers and some folks want to use the mfg numbers from a legal perspective. Its ironic but both are safe.

Your loads on the trucks axles/tires are well within their ratings. The rear being the concern as it carries all the pin weight. The trucks front axle load doesn't change much with a 5th wheel hitch. GCWR isn't a certified number so its not a requirement to be placarded on the truck. Your Ford dealer can run the vin # and get the GCWR from Ford.

The trailers 13205 lb gross axle weight is within the trailers 14000 lb of axle capacity. However some trailers have more weight on one side than the other so watch tire wear on each side of the trailer. If one side is wearing the outsides of the tread or a faster rate , that side may be overloaded.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all
The whole T.V. And Fifth wheel weights and limitations was certainly a sort of back to school sort of thing for me.I am sure happy now that I have taken the time to go to the scales to get accurate numbers and with the experience and knowledge from the folks here we were able to get all this worked out,I feel much better knowing that my family and i and other motorists will be as safe as possible under the law concerning the towing weights and guidelines going down the road.

I do however realize that I am going to have to really be carefully loading the trailer and like one poster Said" R.V.s are like people they tend to get heavier with age".
My wife and I have been raving for about 10 years or so,this is our third 5er previous 2 were under 25 feet so weight was never a factor ,I've always had one ton T.V.s except for the Chevy 2500 hd I just traded on my new Ford

We Are Sometimers trying to work into Moretimers
T.V. 2012 Ford F350 Lariet C/C L/B SRW Power Stroke.
Pulling 2007 Newmar Cypress Diamond 38'7
sometimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I really did my homework when it came to purchasing our current 5er .we wanted more room a bunk model for the little ones,we looked at a lot just couldn't find what we wanted here on Vancouver Island, sure there were a lot of units that we're very nice to look at all the technology all the flat screens and power automatic levelers ,outside access to wet bars sinks kitchens fridges more flat screens and the whole thing just beautiful ,but we found at least the ones we walked into the feeling of mass production from the wall coverings to the moldings and just the fasteners in general also a lot of movement in some floors,just seem flimsy .I'm sure there are good ones too but in the price range we were looking seems like the manufacturers main focus is the the Bling the eye candy
A friend of mine told me about this forum and said I would get a lot of first hand knowledge of what's out there and what has worked best for folks in the real world of RVing

Needless to say our attention shifted after reading these forums for hours "which bye the way is kind of addicting" the advise I finally took was look at previously owned higher end units that were built to order and most of all they have already had the depreciation hit ,and yes I was on the other end a few times like most of us.
We didn't want to go older than 5 years ,we looked at a few excel,s carriage,Newmar and to me there is absolutely no comparison from these units to the stuff today ,keeping in mind the price range these 3 to 5 year old high end units that still look like they came out of the show room .they are going for as much as 50% less than there msrp when they were purchased. So that being said the selling price of a 3 to 5 year old battle tested high end unit is going for nearly the same money as a mass produced kind of no one nows what they will be like in 3 to five years unit.Not to say you can't buy that quality any more sure you can but there again it's price range.

So in closing all of my blah blah blah comes down to this,these units are HEAVY,The one thing I did overlook when getting my new TV as I am very borderline on the weights,something I will always have to be cautious of.

Thank you all for the help

Ps .. We make a real good Ice Wine here in B.C. Kind of cools the veins

Warren & Amy
We Are Sometimers trying to work into Moretimers
T.V. 2012 Ford F350 Lariet C/C L/B SRW Power Stroke.
Pulling 2007 Newmar Cypress Diamond 38'7
sometimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad it all worked out for you. All I try to do is to get people to realize that traielrs are heavy and you need to check your weights to know where you are. It can be a real education as 90% or more of the RV and truck sales people do not have a clue as to weight limits. They just say hook it up and go.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It clearly states in every truck manual I've ever owned, that maximum weights/capacities/ratings should never be exceeded. Is that technically ''legal?'' Who knows, but anybody who exceeds any manufacturer's limit is clearly not using common sense and subjecting themselves to a law suit. If nothing else, common sense should prevail.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #34
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another point to ALWAYS remember, if you change ANYTHING on the truck, it could effect the gvwr, gcwr, gawr, tire limits etc......those stickers on the door are meant to show what the truck can safely handle when it left the dealer. If you change your rims, tire sizes and types....that sticker is no longer accurate as it was for what the manufacturer placed on the vehicle. Certainly your gvwr can go up or down depending on mods like axle changes and such....but you have to make sure you dont overload the frame in that case. I have a friend who bought a wrecked 350 srw....it was hit in the rear....he rebuilt it with 9k lbs gawr front and rear and made it a dually...but his sticker still said 10k. Those stickers arent binding as any change can alter up or down. Of your truck is new, or no changes than its safe to go by the recommendation but if its altered at all....even different branded tires which might have lower or higher load ratings can effect your numbers
2012 Ford F350 6.7L SRW w/FX4 SB
2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ
Camping Days: 2012 - 114 (as of 10 Jul 12)
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
I have a F250 and tow my 15k trailer quite well and safely.
My truck is registered for 12200lbs and the trailer is registered for 15500lbs.

The 2005 F250 can mechanicaly handle GCVW of 23500lbs, and the truck and trailer with all our stuff comes to 23400lbs.

I feel the lighter truck with same mecanical powertrain,brakes, and frame can safely tow our unit. Much safer then most MH and rigs that pass me on the highway as I if am standing still, with bend axles and black smoke coming out the tail pipes.

I do have 12k on 2 7k axles, and 11K on the truck almost equaly loaded for comfort. The truck is good for 10k brakes, and the trailer is good for 14K brakes for a total of 24k of braking capacity. In addition the powertrain has cooling for 23500 lbs GCVW.

Not all 5th wheels have 14k axles, and in no way I would pull my trailer with 6K axles, as most manufacturer use underrated axles and brakes.

P.S. The rear axle that Ford uses are way underrated by Ford, they are actualy rated at 9200lbs, so I use the tire capacity for rear loading and no aluminium wheels for this fellow.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote