Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5th Wheel Towing Capacities

Hello all
Could some one be so kind as too do the calculations and or limitations for my TV and 5er combination I have all the info for my 5er understood ,but I can't seem to get my brain round my TV info i.e. payload ,pin weight ,combination towing weight etc
Long story short can I safely pull my fifth wheel down the road providing I don't max the fifth wheel payload out? How many pounds do I have to play with safely? if any!

My TV
2012 Ford F350 diesel crew cab long-box 3.55 gear ratio, Reese elite18 k hitch ,37gal fuel tank approx 300 lbs, passengers 2 adults 360 lbs , misc 100 pounds
Am I missing something here?

Fifth Wheel

2007 Newmar Cypress 35rbck

Tire Size 235/85R16-G
GAWR 7,000
GVWR 16,250
App. Length 38'7"
App. Height 12' 11"
Width 97"
App. Dry Weight 13,260
App. Hitch Weight 2,555
Fresh Water (gal.) 75
Grey (gal.) 84
Sewage Cap. (gal.) 42
App. Hitch Height 47"
Heat Cap. (BTU) 35,000

Thanks in advance for any info here,all the numbers from Ford are driving me nuts

Warren & Amy
sometimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You need some more info, this would be nice to have:

- RV loaded (not dry) pin weight
- Truck's cargo capacity...on a sticker on the driver's side of the frame

This information you must have:

- Truck GVWR
- Truck GCWR

Here's the basic formula you need: Truck's GCWR minus the truck's actual weight when ready to tow (includes pin weight and EVERYTHING in the truck). The answer is the tow capacity of the truck. Don't forget to subtract the pin weight from the weight of the RV, since that weight is now in the truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
We're going to need the following:

5th wheel's GVWR
Truck's GCWR
Truck's GVWR
Truck's "manufacturer's trailer tow rating"

With this, we're going to have to estimate the truck's actual laden curb weight since the manufacturer's trailer tow rating is based on the weight of a base model truck (no options or accessories, no 5th wheel hitch) with only a 150 lb driver.

With this data, the formulas are as follows:

Truck's GCWR minus truck's laden curb weight = maximum total weight of the 5th wheel it can tow (use the 5th wheel's GVWR for sizing purposes)

Truck's GVWR minus truck's laden curb weight = maximum pin weight of the 5th wheel it can tow (use 20% of the 5th wheel's GVWR for sizing purposes)

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The truck's rear axle weight rating is important in the equation, too. I didn't see anywhere in the OP whether or not the truck was a dually.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Warren,
My guess without the details asked for already is that your rear axle weight rating or your gcwr MAY be exceeded, by how much ? don't know, but according to this:
2012 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
16,100 lbs max 5th wheel rating

and 2012 Ford Super Duty | Detailed Chassis Specifications | Ford.com
7,280 lbs for srw or 9,750 lbs for dually rawr

and 2012 Ford Super Duty | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com
max payload of --- only your registered gvwr on sticker will tell - some are 9400, some 10lk, some more.... what's yours?

and your stated trailer gvwr of 16,250 lbs
you will probably be ok with some ratings.... weighing it all will be the final judge...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi guys
My 2012 super duty f350 diesel crewcab long box is a single rear wheel sorry I missed that bit of info for ya
The info I have seen is the trucks gvwr can't exceed 11,500 total. the door reads
Rear gawr 7000lbs
Front gawr 6000lbs
Then under that sticker is the tire and loading
sticker that reads
The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 3146lbs
So I went to the scales just out side of town here today and weighed just the truck with half a tank of fuel and just me in it
5136 lbs on the front axel
3549 lbs on the back axel
Now is that accurate ? Meaning those 2 numbers added together is the actual weight of the whole truck ? wouldn't there be weight transfer either way? Also the axel ratings are providing I have these tires and rims on which I do

I will try and load the pics of the stickers

So the axel weight ratings of 13,000lbs to me conflict with the loading sticker of 3,146
And the gvwr of 11,500
Also the scale wasn't long enough to weigh both axels at same time

I hope this all helps to make sense to somebody

Thanks again
Warren& Amy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3753474534.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	24483   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1511452506.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	24484  

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An update those weight numbers of my truck at the scales included my Reese hitch

Thanks
Warren&Amy
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Legal (and warranty) weight limit is 11,500, no matter what the axle ratings are. You can load each axle up to the axle limit as long as the total doesn't exceed 11,500#'s.
11,500 - your weight 8685 = 2815#'s, the amount of weight you can add, that includes passengers, pets, cargo, weight added by the weight distributing hitch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Unfortunately, the pin weight of your 5th wheel, once you get it loaded close to GVWR, would be around 3250 lbs (16250 x 20%). This would put you over your truck's GVWR by 3250 - 2815 = 435 lbs with just you in the truck with 1/2 tank of fuel as you weighed it. That's not counting the additional weight of a full tank of fuel, passengers, pets, cargo, etc., every pound of which would be added to the 435 lbs that you're already over your GVWR.

That's normally what happens with a SRW truck pulling a heavy 5th wheel - they will exceed the GVWR before they ever approach the GCWR.

Rusty
Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Legal (and warranty) weight limit is 11,500, no matter what the axle ratings are. You can load each axle up to the axle limit as long as the total doesn't exceed 11,500#'s.
11,500 - your weight 8685 = 2815#'s, the amount of weight you can add, that includes passengers, pets, cargo, weight added by the weight distributing hitch.
Ok. Thank you for the info

So I have another approx 260 lbs of payload to ad to the truck my family
Which leaves me with approx 2555 pin weight if I'm correct
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Unfortunately, the pin weight of your 5th wheel, once you get it loaded close to GVWR, would be around 3250 lbs (16250 x 20%). This would put you over your GVWR by 3250 - 2815 = 435 lbs with just you in the truck with 1/2 tank of fuel as you weighed it. That's not counting the additional weight of a full tank of fuel, passengers, pets, cargo, etc., every pound of which would be added to the 435 lbs that you're already over your GVWR.

That's normally what happens with a SRW truck pulling a heavy 5th wheel - they will exceed the GVWR before they ever approach the GCWR.

Rusty
Thanks rusty
My question now would be do people really go down the road with a maxed out gvwr on there pull trailer ?meaning can I pull this thing with just the essentials ?
Thanks
Warren&Amy
Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You see a fair number of UN-knowledgible people pulling larger 5ers with a 3/4 ton truck. If they were to ever get a properly sizesd truck to match the trailer load, they would be surprised at the difference in the towing ride and handling.

Some on the forums advocate exceeding the manufactures rating and tell you to not worry about it. I prefer to tell the poster what the terms mean and how to calculate the meaningful numbers and let them make the decision of exceeding manufacturers rating with the proper knowle3dge.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
You're going to want propane in the tanks, right? Food in the pantry? Clothes in the closet? At least some "stuff" in the basement? With the possible exception of the pantry, all of these are likely well forward of the axles, which means a significant portion of their weight is going to wind up as pin weight. You'll likely be somewhere between 2,555 and 3,250 lbs pin weight, but a trip to the scales with the 5th wheel loaded the way you'll normally travel will ultimately tell the tale accurately.

Rusty
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well a trip to the scales now loaded with the trailer will be the tel tale that I should have got the dually I have only had this truck 2 weeks of course the salesmen said it would handle my 5 er no problem

I will update as to my truck and pin weight loaded
Thank you
Warren&Amy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1292312733.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	24494