Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #1

We're starting our 2nd season with our trailer, and have a question about the need for a tripod. We've been told by a few that it isn't necessary, but it seems like a good idea to me. My thinking is that taking some of the weight off off the front jacks would be a good thing, as well as some extra support for when the bedroom is occupied. The rear stabilizers seem to help with the bounce, but I would guess that as long as there's weight on the springs, it's going to bounce some no matter what. As it is now, the bounce seems to be at an acceptable level. Thanks for any opinions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #2

We're starting our 2nd season with our trailer, and have a question about the need for a tripod. We've been told by a few that it isn't necessary, but it seems like a good idea to me. My thinking is that taking some of the weight off off the front jacks would be a good thing, as well as some extra support for when the bedroom is occupied. The rear stabilizers seem to help with the bounce, but I would guess that as long as there's weight on the springs, it's going to bounce some no matter what. As it is now, the bounce seems to be at an acceptable level. Thanks for any opinions.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one
and once it gets all settled it does slow the rate of bouncing down to a degree. but is awfully heavy, may have to find something that is more managable weight wise
right now we are on a gravel base site, that is still settling, every few days the jacks get a tightening or loosening depending on which way we lean, not the best setup, but its working
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
jtl

Count me as one that is happy with the tripod. All things considered, $100 is a cheap investment.
We mostly dry camp, and the rocking has been cut down. Laredo 25RL

Jim
Old 04-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stylin':
We're starting our 2nd season with our trailer, and have a question about the need for a tripod. We've been told by a few that it isn't necessary, but it seems like a good idea to me. My thinking is that taking some of the weight off off the front jacks would be a good thing, as well as some extra support for when the bedroom is occupied. The rear stabilizers seem to help with the bounce, but I would guess that as long as there's weight on the springs, it's going to bounce some no matter what. As it is now, the bounce seems to be at an acceptable level. Thanks for any opinions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note that the tripod is not designed to take any weight off the landing gear - all it does is stabilize the rig. The older bipods were made to eliminate side-to-side motion and did a great job of that. The tripods eliminate that side-to-side motion and also the front-to-rear motion. Up-and-down motion is handled by the landing gear up front and the stabilizers out back. While stabilizers can be rated to hold several thousand pounds it's usually not a good idea to have them support the entire trailer - the trailer's frame will likely bend if it's only supported at the front and rear ends.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have the tripod and the things that go between the wheels. All these are suppose to stop rocking and bouncing, but I still get some.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #7

We camped for 4 years w/o a tripod, and then got one last fall. It's nice, but not manditory. Depends on your tolerance to movement.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #8

Hi Just a .02 thought My brace as I will call it is a 2leg made as a factory unit from a car bumper jack would not be with out one in a 5er.But the down fall is the extra size and weight.When the fire goes out in the bed room You may get along with out one.Or buy the sign about if the trailer is rocking don't come knocking Bushman
Old 04-07-2006, 04:37 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bushman512003:
Hi Just a .02 thought My brace as I will call it is a 2leg made as a factory unit from a car bumper jack would not be with out one in a 5er.But the down fall is the extra size and weight.When the fire goes out in the bed room You may get along with out one.Or buy the sign about if the trailer is rocking don't come knocking Bushman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

after 21 years we still get a fire

and the tripod has helped with the rear end sway, i dont spill my coffee as much
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 AM   #10

We've got the tripod and it really just wasn't enough. With the kid's bunks being in the back, we would still get motion sickness with all of their bouncing. Last weekend we bought Roto Chocks and will try them out next week.

'00 F250 PS Diesel
Kaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #11

I have rear electric stablizer jacks, front landing gear, tripod for king pin, wheel chocks and still have LOTS of movement. Also have both Trailair systems which I think has something to do with the amount of movement.....before I installed www.jtrv.com ROCK SOLID
Old 04-14-2006, 03:20 AM   #12

All that Air ride must be a fine rideing 5er.Just use 4 bottle jacks to the frame snug up and the rocking and rolling will be gone when parked.And You can enjoy the trailer more.John
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #13

inacreek,
Tell us about your experience with the JTRV stabilizers. I bought a set last week at "the Rally" but have not installed them yet. They looked good on the demo 5er. I have used (at various times) chocks, wheel locks, rear jacks (stabilizers) and 2-legged king pin support. I was not happy with any of them, have high hopes for the "JT's"
Dave

Carri -- '05 Carri-Lite 36KSQ
Dualy Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #14

DD, I have not too much to say about the system. Just installed it and have not had it out at a campground yet. Will be trying it out this week-end for the first time. Like you, I have tried everything and spent good money trying things. When the daughter would roll in bed, you could really feel it. I had it secured completely in the driveway and shook the trailer and it seemed really solid. Better then all the wheel chocks, tripods, etc... combined. This is the first 5th wheel we owned so I thought that it was the 5th wheel. What did you pay for yours? That is all I can offer to you at this time. Take to you soon.