Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2005, 04:57 PM   #1

I have a 98 31' Seahawk and am working through a problem with voltage from the TV to batteries being drawn down (from 12.8 to ~6 volts. Here are the details...

At the 7 wire receptacle on the TV w/o trailer connected I have a good strong ~12.8v. With the 7 wire trailer plug connected I go to the battery compartment and measure voltage at the heavy gauge wires that connect to the trailer battery (without the wires landed on the battery) and I'm reading ~6v. I've worked this problem many hours and have been able to learn a few things. If I take the converter / charger out of the loop (disconnect red positive wire from the converter), my voltage on the battery wires is a good strong ~12.8v (without connected to batteries)...but when I reconnect this wire to the converter my voltage drops to ~6v.

The charger / converter is good..all 12v lights, pump, etc.. work normal (IntelliPower 60amp unit). I have also measured 13.8V on the battery wires when trailer is plugged into shore power...again w/o wires landed on battery.

A couple of questions. Is it normal for voltage from the TV to be present at the converter lugs (I have read voltage at the converter w/o trailer battery connected and also not plugged into shore power). I'm guessing since there is only (1) red positive (heavy gauge) wire that connects to the trailer battery that at some point the positive from the TV and positive from the converter charger must cross...since they both support the same battery.

Near the battery box I have located three grey 2 lug terminal Blocks with writing SHORTSTOP on them that are used to jumper positive wires from TV and converter to other feeds for trailer jacks, hydraulic pump, etc.. After studying them I can see where the TV positive and converter positive wires are related to each other before the heavier gausge wire feeds the battery. Could one of these be bad and causing my problem? I spoke with the company that sells the converter and they didn't think it was normal to be reading voltage from the TV at the converter.

I'd draw a picture here if I knew how but I'll do my best to describe them the wiring layout to these terminal Blocks. Wiring to these lugs is as follows...

Block A lug one - has +12v from TV landed on it as well as electric jack positive
Block A lug two - jumpers to Block B

Block B lug one - has feed from Block A lug two, jumpers to Block C, also have heavy gauge red wire leading to trailer battery.
Block B lug two - feeds hydraulic pump for slide

Block C lug one - has postive feed from / to converter
Block C lug two - has jumper from Block B

I'm about to give up on this and take it to repair shop to correct. Sorry for the long post here but wanted to include as many details as possible. Anyone have any ideas? This one is about to do me in!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2005, 04:57 PM   #2

I have a 98 31' Seahawk and am working through a problem with voltage from the TV to batteries being drawn down (from 12.8 to ~6 volts. Here are the details...

At the 7 wire receptacle on the TV w/o trailer connected I have a good strong ~12.8v. With the 7 wire trailer plug connected I go to the battery compartment and measure voltage at the heavy gauge wires that connect to the trailer battery (without the wires landed on the battery) and I'm reading ~6v. I've worked this problem many hours and have been able to learn a few things. If I take the converter / charger out of the loop (disconnect red positive wire from the converter), my voltage on the battery wires is a good strong ~12.8v (without connected to batteries)...but when I reconnect this wire to the converter my voltage drops to ~6v.

The charger / converter is good..all 12v lights, pump, etc.. work normal (IntelliPower 60amp unit). I have also measured 13.8V on the battery wires when trailer is plugged into shore power...again w/o wires landed on battery.

A couple of questions. Is it normal for voltage from the TV to be present at the converter lugs (I have read voltage at the converter w/o trailer battery connected and also not plugged into shore power). I'm guessing since there is only (1) red positive (heavy gauge) wire that connects to the trailer battery that at some point the positive from the TV and positive from the converter charger must cross...since they both support the same battery.

Near the battery box I have located three grey 2 lug terminal Blocks with writing SHORTSTOP on them that are used to jumper positive wires from TV and converter to other feeds for trailer jacks, hydraulic pump, etc.. After studying them I can see where the TV positive and converter positive wires are related to each other before the heavier gausge wire feeds the battery. Could one of these be bad and causing my problem? I spoke with the company that sells the converter and they didn't think it was normal to be reading voltage from the TV at the converter.

I'd draw a picture here if I knew how but I'll do my best to describe them the wiring layout to these terminal Blocks. Wiring to these lugs is as follows...

Block A lug one - has +12v from TV landed on it as well as electric jack positive
Block A lug two - jumpers to Block B

Block B lug one - has feed from Block A lug two, jumpers to Block C, also have heavy gauge red wire leading to trailer battery.
Block B lug two - feeds hydraulic pump for slide

Block C lug one - has postive feed from / to converter
Block C lug two - has jumper from Block B

I'm about to give up on this and take it to repair shop to correct. Sorry for the long post here but wanted to include as many details as possible. Anyone have any ideas? This one is about to do me in!!

Old 06-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #3

It is pretty hard to trouble shoot the problem without beaing there,If you are powering the converter from the TV with the battries disconected you may be seeing a large voltage drop due to the length of the wires from the TV to the converter.The TV is designed to keep the battries charged wile traveling only.
What happens when the battries are connected? Just what is the problem?
If the converter works normally from shore power you may just have a bad battrey or a poor ground wire connection.
Hook everything up and read the voltage at the batt positive post to a good ground with the TV running fast enough to put out a good charge,you should see between 13.5 to 15.o volts if you see good voltage I would get the battreys tested.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #4

Hummer1 - thanks for the response. Core problem is that the TV is not charging the trailer batteries. I've been told that I should see over 13v at the battery while it is bieng charged from TV. Never see anything over 12....even after towing for several hours and everythng connected up.

I've removed the sleeve from the 7way trailer connector where it plugs into TV receptacle. Only read 6v when the trailer connector is plugged in and 12-13 when unplugged depending if TV is running or not. I don't think it is a wiring length problem since I'm get these same readings on the lugs at the TV (while trailer connector plugged in). Something appears to be drawing it down.

I've checked all the grounds I could find and they have good continuity (sp??).
Old 06-25-2005, 06:12 AM   #5

Have you tested the voltage on the TV batt with the trailer plugged in and the TV running?If the voltage at the TV batt is around 13 to 15 that would prove the TV is good,If not You may have a TV alternator problem,The TV alternator may not be putting out enough current to handle the trailer and the TV batts.Do you have a friend that can plug there TV into the trailer and check the voltage.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #6

RW, this is a wild shot, but when I read the first part of your first post I get the impression you are reading just one 6v battery at the heavy cables. Do you have two 6v batteries in series or two 12v in parallel? Like someone else said, hard to diagnose without actually seeing. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #7

I`m convinced he does not have a problem with the trailer,I think the inverter is drawing enough current with the long cables and the batts disconnected to drop the voltage to around 6v,The TV is not designed to cary the inverter,The batts should do that.All the Tv should do is charge the batts.I also believe it is normal to have 13.5 volts on the inverter with house power on it because it also charges the battries.
I would investigate the TV charging cicruit (alternator).There is a possibility he could have a problem with the TV 7 pin plug (loose connection or bad ground)
Old 06-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #8

Thanks Hummer and SC. The TV is a 04 F250 6.0 and voltage readings at TV batts while engine running is 14v.

Also the 5ver has a single 12v battery. Since the TV is so new, I doubt the problem is with it. Also, I have metered all 7 wires on TV receptacle and ID'ed critical ciruits...12 pos, grnd, brake lights, lt, rt, etc.. I'm confident these are correct....and tight...I can get the phillips screws for each lug(with sleeve pulled down) and all are tight and wires connected good.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow and see if any headway can be made. I'll post a response if I make progress.

Thanks again for the tips..
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #9

Those thing with two posts are brakers (auto reset) one post brass one steel (brass to load ) Hook up the battery first do not play around with the system with the battery unhooked. If you do not have a good ground every thing will not work properly .The tow vehicle and the shore power or the generator can all be on at one time but the charger will only except the best charge and it only puts out about three amps ,clean tight contacts and battery post and clamps and water in battery is the way to having good electrical service. Skipper entry level over fifty years.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rejects:
Thanks Hummer and SC. The TV is a 04 F250 6.0 and voltage readings at TV batts while engine running is 14v.

Also the 5ver has a single 12v battery. Since the TV is so new, I doubt the problem is with it. Also, I have metered all 7 wires on TV receptacle and ID'ed critical ciruits...12 pos, grnd, brake lights, lt, rt, etc.. I'm confident these are correct....and tight...I can get the phillips screws for each lug(with sleeve pulled down) and all are tight and wires connected good.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow and see if any headway can be made. I'll post a response if I make progress.

Thanks again for the tips.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>//////The voltage at the battery will only show the current charge of the battery not the input check the wire at the breaker the little two post one on the fire wall next to the converter leading to the battery one lead to the post one (red) and one (Black ) to the sheet metal or frame of te trailer .this will show voltage going to the battery .Use the post nearest the converter Its Brass or should be if not in backward. Battery will only show its charge at that time it will come up and the reading will increase up to including 13 to 14.5 volts if good battery. skipper entry level over fifty years.