Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #1

5th wheel underbelly repair

We have a Winnebago 5th wheel. The underbelly is some sort of material that encloses/protects the underside of the trailer. On our last trip we had issues with the black tank value leaking and had to have it "repaired" on two occasions. Both repair persons used some sort of tape to reseal the opening they cut into the underbelly. Looking at the underbelly the other day I noticed both tapes they used are letting go, allowing the repair sites (underbelly material) to sag. Since I will need to reseal the opening they cut into the underbelly I would like to use the best method possible for the repair. If I use tape what is the best tape, or, is there a better method for a repair? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
helopilot880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #2

I have used Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape 4" x 10' Black on my underbelly and it does a good job. Good luck.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Gorilla Tape is a required toolbox item for me.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #4

Lowe’s sell a tape called “Huber Zip SystemTape”. It is used to seal the Zip system plywood used on many job sites nowadays (green or red waterproof plywood).

A little pricy at $30 or so a roll, it is 6” wide commercial grade rubber flashing tape that sticks like nobody’s business. It also comes up to 12” wide for roof valleys and such. It is waterproof and used to flash seams and windows on houses. I use it all the time it is the better bigger brother to Gorilla tape.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
IC2

While I do like Gorilla Tape for most patches, have found that black 3 or 4 inch wide Eternabond lasts longer on a 5ers belly Coroplast. The Gorilla Tape tended to fray while the Eternabond has stayed intact.

RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

scrim shield tape is designed for this repair.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any sealing tape regardless of brand will fail if the area is not cleaned well and wiped with alcohol prior to applying it.

I do my repairs that way and never had a failure.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

ditto on what egwilly said. used some underbelly repair tape and the instruction emphasized cleaning with alcohol. i did and the tape is still there.

one other trick i used is to use binder clips to help hold up the coroplast. regular binder clips that you get in the stationery dept. i can clip them to the lip of our frame and hold the edge of the coroplast without having to drill for other fasteners. three years and they are still there.

you can also use metal flashing or wooden slats as supports across the cut. put some screws through the coroplast up into the supports to help hold the coroplast up. then seal with the tape.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

5th wheel underbelly repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
ditto on what egwilly said. used some underbelly repair tape and the instruction emphasized cleaning with alcohol. i did and the tape is still there.

one other trick i used is to use binder clips to help hold up the coroplast. regular binder clips that you get in the stationery dept. i can clip them to the lip of our frame and hold the edge of the coroplast without having to drill for other fasteners. three years and they are still there.

you can also use metal flashing or wooden slats as supports across the cut. put some screws through the coroplast up into the supports to help hold the coroplast up. then seal with the tape.

The idea as supports is intriguing as the hole they cut is three sided and tape they used is falling down. The supports will assist the ape and give the repair some strength, and if necessary be removed to access the site again should I need to. If you did a repair in this fashion, what size/type screws did you use? I assume the supports go street side down on the underbelly
helopilot880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #10

i personally have not used screws but my rv repair guy says they have used metal flashing and self tapping screws. put the flashing into the hole on top of the coroplast along the edge. secure with self tapping screws (i would think 1/2" would be sufficient). then fold coroplast up so the edges align and secure the cut piece with the screws. other have said the use some form of wood (perhaps a furring strip or lathe). if you want to practice this technique get an old campaign sign as is it made fro the same coroplast. practice driving the screws with it.

as far as tape goes the rv guy said they use scrimshiled but it looks a bit pricey. there is a tape called under belly tape that i have used the is about $16 for a 25 foot roll. the instructions very clearly say to clean the coroplast with isopropol alcohol. i have at the tape has been there for over 3 years and is holding swell.

i was actually under the trailer today doing some repair on a hole around the rain pipe. i was using expanding foam to seal the gap. works great but do not drop it on you hair! i advance my hair balding by at least a couple of years getting it out!

one other thing the rv guy told me is that they try to cut the coroplast along a frame support member if possible. if they can they drill a couple of new holes in the frame member and use self tapping metal screws with fender washer to hold the coroplast up.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #11

Easiest way to fix is get a one by 2-3-4 depending how much overlap you want . Cut to the length you need . ( I would go a little past the cut. Put it on the inside . Hold it down and screw in self drilling screws on onside then push up the the other side repeat. Put a good tape over it and done. The wood is now supporting the underbelly material not the tape.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #12

Most underbelly material is Coroplast, same stuff they use to make political campaign signs. Just wait until the next election and harvest a couple of big signs and make yourself a new underbelly enclosure....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #13

as bigchick mentioned

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #14

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-46125...-1-spons&psc=1
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, air, repair