Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

5th Wheel upkeep?

New 5th wheel owner here, wondering what you do yearly or every few years to keep it running great and no water damage? When we were in the market the RV store told us to seal it yearly. Wondering what you do and use and how often?! Thanks a bunch for any information!!
csweet06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi there.

When he had our 5-r, twice yearly roof inspection (spring/fall) & seal as necessary, keep slides/jacks lubed & slideout seals treated, periodic inspection of propane orifices (mostly after long storage period looking for bug nests - they like propane. put a flea collar in area to keep bugs at bay), yearly inspection of tires, yearly clean out of pin box (birds liked to build nests in there in early spring), wash as needed & wax yearly to keep that "like new" appearance.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

We find that periodic washing and waxing affords us the opportunity to find issues before they become serious. Really, really dislike the waxing part but must be done.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We find that periodic washing and waxing affords us the opportunity to find issues before they become serious. Really, really dislike the waxing part but must be done.
x2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not need to seal the whole roof yearly. Twice a year, inspect the roof seals and repair any sealant that looks bad. Use the sealant recommended by the RV roof manufacturer.

AS a preventative, I have put Etrnabond tape on all of the roof joints on my last 3 RVs and never had a roof leak issue.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Take the covers off your A/C units and blow out any debris...I found the start of a hornet nest in mine last spring. Take off the exterior vent covers for your fridge and clean out any debris and dust that accumulates in behind the fridge. Check all the seals around the windows and up on the roof. Clean the roof..I use Dicor cleaner and the protectant twice a year. Grab a creeper and have a look at the underside of your rig checking for cracked hoses/cables etc. One of the best things I did was buy a cover for the 5er. It comes out in the spring as clean as when I put it down in the fall. Check the tires...especially the date if you haven't yet..mine are 5 years old and are gonna be replaced this year. Those are just a few things that come to mind.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

This is all great information.

I just purchased a Dutchmen Voltage 3605 that will be delivered in May. Scouring this website is giving me valuable information on how to keep my 5th wheel in top shape.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

Two year ago on a prior unit the A/C unit would not blow any air. Took the cover off and found a huge wasp nest built into the fan blades on the condenser. After a good spray with wasp killer and a good cleaning all was well. Just got our new unit so Have not had the cover of the A/C's yet but that will be part of the "before first trip inspection"
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Good choice on the Voltage! My wife and I have had our 3970 for a couple months now and love it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A couple other semi annual things is to clean the battery connections and make sure the water level is correct. Also put the proper protectant on the connections.
I also pull the wheels and hand pack the wheel bearings and inspect and adjust the brakes. This is an annual thing, usually in the spring so the unit is ready for the season. I know that there are some on here that say you only need to do this every 2 or 3 years, but I like to do it annually.
Another good idea is to sanitize the fresh water tank every spring before use. And change the anode rod in the hot water tank (if it is equipped with one).
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #12

No matter what vendors tell you...the once or twice a year wax is a myth. You need to wax monthly in the summer and I would recommend a quality spray wax every 2-3 weeks with a micro towel applicator. Wipe-on and wipe off. Wax evaps in the heat and rain and barely lasts 5-6 weeks in paste form, not to mention it's a ton of work!!! Spray wax quickly after each wash...wash as often as you can. I use a bucket of awning cleaner from walmart couple times a year with a long handle scrub brush on the roof...takes aprox 20 minutes. Then meguires wash/wax on the exterior to get her clean..finally spray wax to finish *turtle wax ice*. Remember start when it's new and keeping it clean is a breeze....Keeping the roof clean, that's the key to clean sides...keeping the cap waxed is the key to keeping your decals in good shape up front, caps take a beating in the sun I find. My 08 Quantum 355saqs sold at the dealer the day after I traded it...dealer said he had less than an hour prepping it in the condition it was in...and my $$ at trade in was exeptional when they saw it....maintenence is absolutely vital.
DMAN302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #13

My 5er is 20 years old and has sat out in the Southern California sun everyday since new. It is stored 6 miles from the ocean where fog happens often bringing salt along with it

I do a yearly inspect and cleaning (soap & water) of the roof. Seal any cracks in the compounds and have replaced the sealant around all seams about 5years ago. Last year I couldn't pass up a deal to have the roof coated with a roll on sealant for $85

I wash the 5er each time we take it out and wax it every 2 to 3 years. The filon siding when waxed looks as good as new.

No need to spend a lot of time maintaining the outside to keep it looking good
ThebearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #14

Check all the caulking for areas that need to be replaced.

Tags
5th wheel