Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #15

As stated, all RVs are fifth wheels, there are no GNs.
Fifth wheels pull smoother, less jerking.
Easier and quicker to hook and unhook.
More stable due to the larger surface area for hitching.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #16

Evergreen Owners Club
If you are just pulling the 5th wheel, go with the standard 5th wheel hitch.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark View Post
I'm just getting started with RVing.

I think I didn't express my first question very well. What I'm trying to get feedback on is below.

1. What are the advantages of having a gooseneck setup compared to a 5th wheel?
2. What are the advantages of a 5th wheel setup compared to a gooseneck?

I'm not interested in converting one to the other.

Since I haven't bought the trailer or the truck yet which way should I go?

Thanks for your input. Mark
I'm still not sure I understand your question. As far as I know, nobody makes an RV with a true goose neck hitch. There are some GN horse trailers with living quarters but I don't think they are considered RVs. The only way you can have a GN on an RV trailer is to convert it somehow. Never seen it done except with adapter boxes that extend directly into the GN ball, thus eliminating the 5th wheel hitch entirely. As pointed out, those adapters can cause severe damage to the 5th wheel structure, I have seen many examples of this. Perhaps I am dense or misinformed about GN options for RVs or just don't understand your question but I am always glad to learn new things!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #18

Thanks

OK, well that was great info, for some reason I thought they came both ways. Thanks everyone for the lesson on 5th wheels.
jomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #19

To be more specific on the advantages of a 5th wheel hitch:
1) Since the 5th wheel hitch head is roughly 16 inches above the truck bed, generally you can see it from the driver's seat while backing up. With a GN ball on the bed floor, no way to see it so a spotter is needed or trial and error.
2) With a GN ball alignment needs to be within about 1/2 inch both front-to-back and side-to-side. With a 5th wheel hitch, side-to-side misalignment can be around 1 inch and you back up as far as needed (just make sure the wheels are chocked).
3) Less vertical lift needed
4) No safety chains required
5) Less stress on the trailer frame
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I'm still not sure I understand your question. As far as I know, nobody makes an RV with a true goose neck hitch. There are some GN horse trailers with living quarters but I don't think they are considered RVs. The only way you can have a GN on an RV trailer is to convert it somehow. Never seen it done except with adapter boxes that extend directly into the GN ball, thus eliminating the 5th wheel hitch entirely. As pointed out, those adapters can cause severe damage to the 5th wheel structure, I have seen many examples of this. Perhaps I am dense or misinformed about GN options for RVs or just don't understand your question but I am always glad to learn new things!

The Reese Goosebox will not cause damage and is approved by Lippert. They actually list it on their website.

Goose Box by ReeseĀ®
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I have a rear storage box that is 10in high and the 5th wheel pin passes over it. Plus I have a box 21 in high at the front that would surely prevent the view of the pin.
In addition I carry other boxes around my hitch that fit well around my 5th wheel hitch.
I have a box cover that blocks the view on the ball, I just place a pencil magnet right in front of it and back up till it touches, it's very easy to watch through the rear view mirror.
Btw.: it only takes a minute to remove the Andersen from the truck even in the campground when necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pencil magnet.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	94908  
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #22

A GN adapter doubles the forces on the 5th wheel pinbox.
Since the frames on my last 2 units have failed and needed repairs, I certainly do not recommend the use of a GN.

Tags
5th wheel, hwh