Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

5th wheel verses gooseneck

I'm just getting started with RV ing. My question is what are the advantages to a 5th wheel over a gooseneck and vice versa? Since I haven't bought the trailer or the truck yet which way should I go? Thanks for your imput. Mark

Retired EMCS (E-8) USN
jomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

I went with the B&W turn over ball so that I can have a flat bed. Then optioned for the Andersen hitch
Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

It only weighs 32 lbs. Easy to remove or store. If you want the traditional hitch B&W also has a fine hitch that secures to the Gooseneck ball. It is just too heavy for me. Also, I really like the Andersen.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

I would not use a GN to 5th wheel adapter unless you can verify from the 5th manufacturer that it will not damage the structure of the trailer. I have seen many 5th wheels destroyed by the extra leverage created by those adapters. As rskeans mentioned, look into the Anderson for an alternate towing method. I have the B&W GN with a B&W Companion. I might consider the Anderson if I ever decide to change things up a bit.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

The advantage of a goose neck ball vs a 5th wheel hitch is that it does not take up as much room in the bed of the truck. Plus one person can remove the ball and it is easy to store.

The Advantage of a 5th wheel hitch it is easier to connect to the trailer since it is easier to see and line up. Also 5th wheel trailers are designed for 5th wheel hitches.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Advantage of a 5th wheel hitch it is easier to connect to the trailer since it is easier to see and line up. Also 5th wheel trailers are designed for 5th wheel hitches.
My experience differs from the above. You can easily see the Andersen ball from the drivers seat. You line that up when backing up. Usually you only need to back another few inches. When close, does not have to be exact, just drop the 5er on to the ball.

With the 5th wheel hitch I would have to get the height close to ride up on the plate, then I always set the manual brake controller to keep from pushing the 5ver back when hooking up.

Disconnecting with the 5th wheel hitch I had release the pressure against the jaws first, raise the 5ver just off the plate, then open the jaws. At that time I could pull away.

With the Andersen I just lift the 5er straight up. That's it.

I have used both hitches, currently using the Andersen. I can hook up and disconnect faster with the Andersen. For me, the Andersen is much easier.

But, it is personal opinion. Either works.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Other than the Anderson system, there is the Reese Goosebox. It is a 5th to gooseneck conversion that does not void the frame warranty on the trailer. I stayed with a traditional 5th though, the Reese Elite. It leaves a flat bed floor and comes out in two pieces. Easy enough for one person...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

I have a rear storage box that is 10in high and the 5th wheel pin passes over it. Plus I have a box 21 in high at the front that would surely prevent the view of the pin.
In addition I carry other boxes around my hitch that fit well around my 5th wheel hitch.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Yeah. 21" might be a little high. I have a Highway Products tool box up front that is 20" high and very deep. 21" might make it hard to see the ball. I have the ball at its lowest setting and I have no problem.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 AM   #9

5th wheel or Gooseneck?

I'm just getting started with RVing.

I think I didn't express my first question very well. What I'm trying to get feedback on is below.

1. What are the advantages of having a gooseneck setup compared to a 5th wheel?
2. What are the advantages of a 5th wheel setup compared to a gooseneck?

I'm not interested in converting one to the other.

Since I haven't bought the trailer or the truck yet which way should I go?

Thanks for your input. Mark
Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 AM   #10

5th Wheel or Gooseneck

5th wheel or Gooseneck?
I'm just getting started with RVing.

I think I didn't express my first question very well. What I'm trying to get feedback on is below.

1. What are the advantages of having a gooseneck setup compared to a 5th wheel?
2. What are the advantages of a 5th wheel setup compared to a gooseneck?

I'm not interested in converting one to the other.

Since I haven't bought the trailer or the truck yet which way should I go?

Thanks for your input. Mark
Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #11

Jomark, If pulling the RV is all you plan to do then you want a fifth wheel. All rv's are 5th wheel hitches and do not like being converted to use a gooseneck due to frame loading.

For me, who pulls a gooseneck flatbed and livestock trailer, I like a gooseneck hitch in the bed and an anderson or B&W companion hitch to get the 5th wheel connection for the camper. That works well but is alot more money than just using a fifthwheel if that is the only one you actually need.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #12

I have a 5th wheel hitch. It takes up a lot if room in the bed of the truck. I kayak. I can not carry the Kayak(s) when the 5th wheel hitch. I cannot carry much firewood etc. with the 5th wheel hitch in the truck. So I remove the hitch. Now I need to store the hitch. The hitch is heavy (over 125lbs.) You have to have the hight of the 5th wheel correct to hitch and unhitch. On occasion, when the height is not correct the 5th wheel will kinda get stuck to the truck but the jaw is not 100% in position.

I have a friend that pulls a 40' horse trailer with living quarters. That trailer is a goose neck. He also has a hauler bed on the crew cab truck. Seems he has trouble seeing the ball since his line of sight thru his crew cab limits his view. The main thing is his goose neck trailer is built with heavy cross members to support the torque put on the vertical connector tube. He also needs to connect safety chains.

After seeing both, I would say that the goose neck is more convenient and easier to live with. But 5th wheels are designed to use a 5th wheel hitch. The pin weight is spread out wider with a 5th wheel hitch.

I use a 5th wheel hitch but it sure would be nice to switch to a goose neck to leave the bed of the truck free.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #13
paz

Like chertz, I have never seen a 5th wheel RV that comes with a gooseneck. Those are normally seen on livestock and large utility trailers.

To get a gooseneck on a 5th wheel RV, it would have to be a conversion. Most manufacturers recommend against that because the conversion puts more strain on the pinbox area than it was designed for.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #14

I had a goose neck conversion on my old 5er. There are no advantages. When un hooking you have to raise the whole thing up over the ball. a good 3 inches. Then lower it to level. Same when you hook up. its a lot of up and down. Then you have to get in the bed to lock the hitch on the ball.
same way with an Anderson hitch. You got that stupid ball you have to raise up over.
With a 5th wheel now i just get some weight on the jacks and pull out. Way faster hook up also.
I don't know how true this is but I have heard that some insurance companies wont cover you if you have the adapter.
I have the old school manual hand crank jacks. I suppose with electric jacks it wouldn't be too bad.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hwh