RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

5th wheel vinyl flooring damaged need replaced

We have a 2014 Heartland Sundance 299BH. Really like the rig, however; we had a screw come loose under the big slide out, ripped the vinyl flooring in triangle shape, about 9" on each side... in other words, major rip.
I had one person come out and to replace with a nice plank flooring... estimate is $2500.
This is taking up both toilets, taking carpet off steps to master bed, and doing job right... I don't want to try myself and have to turn right around and hire someone anyway to repair my mistakes!

Any suggestions?
I live in north Phoenix area...

I have called three local RV shops, one said they would look at it and give estimate... would like to have someone come to my home where we park it and do work here...

Thanks

rcpetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

$2,500 sounds way too high as you are not talking a lot of square feet. This should be the same as in a house.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Sorry about the vinyl damage, I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler 37'er. Put new flooring down over the top of the original vinyl. Got the new flooring at Home Depot,,, 1/4" solid vinyl floating type. Did the kitchen area and up in the bathroom area. Took up the toilet(not a big thing) to do. Removed the old carpet in the living room and replaced with new. Thought about vinyl in the living room but wanted soft flooring ,first for looks and second for the insulating value. At first I thought about getting a carpet company to install the carpeting but had no luck finding someone . After thinking about it I decided to do it myself. I used the old carpet as a template (pattern). When campers are made they lay the carpet down before anything is installed. Cabinets are put in right on top of carpeting so I had to cut around ALL of the cabinets to get the original removed. Bought the new carpeting at Home Depot, Did the cutting in my driveway. Extremely happy with my decisions,looks great and was not a difficult job. I'd do it again

CLIFFORD
clifford j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the vinyl on my Itasca split due to the cold one winter a couple years ago. Replaced with Vinyl self stick tiles, did the whole coach. I'm not the best at tile (Can't cut things to save my life!) so I had a local RV tech handle, total cost was around $800 and a six pack. I did bring to his house so he could work on it after hours. Very happy with the results, still looked perfect when I traded it in last month.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpetty View Post
We have a 2014 Heartland Sundance 299BH. Really like the rig, however; we had a screw come loose under the big slide out, ripped the vinyl flooring in triangle shape, about 9" on each side... in other words, major rip.

I had one person come out and to replace with a nice plank flooring... estimate is $2500.

This is taking up both toilets, taking carpet off steps to master bed, and doing job right... I don't want to try myself and have to turn right around and hire someone anyway to repair my mistakes!

Any suggestions?

I live in north Phoenix area...

I have called three local RV shops, one said they would look at it and give estimate... would like to have someone come to my home where we park it and do work here...

Thanks
Dont go to rv places
Get a flooring company to do it for 1/2 the price
We had vinyl plank flooring installed in our whole 40' fiver slides included for 1200.00
Old 09-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

If you are the least bit handy the change to vinyl plank is not a hard job. I did mine on the road as a full timer. The material is the most expensive part. And be sure to rent a chop saw for cutting the angles on the trim. I did the kitchen and living room and left carpet on the slides. Took me about 3 - 4 days total including trim and beer breaks. Throw rugs for the dogs.

Depending on the materials they could go $1000 - $1200 depending on the quality and if there is lots of labor the $2500 is probably not to awful bad especially if you don't want to do it yourself.

Another possibility is break the job into bite size chunks. Skip the stairs for now, Skip pulling the toilets for now. Just make sure the screws that caused the problem are fixed first.

One last thing. If you are measuring to calc. material remember to figure in 10% waste for the cutting and fitting. The availability also depends if it has to be ordered from a flooring place or is off the shelf at Lowes.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #7

If the tear is the only reason for the floor replace, you could just repair it. Any flooring installer worth a flip can fix easily for an hours pay. You can usually find flooring for the fix under your kitchen cabinets (use under drawers first) and sometimes in the storage bay. With a matching piece the patch will be virtually unnoticed. You can also search YouTube for instructions to DIY.

https://youtu.be/ywYmqNbN7RE
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #8

Also I checked your profile don’t know your location but if you are local to FL I may be able to do the patch for you pro bono.

ETA: never mind just reread and caught the Phoenix location. Maybe when we make our bucket list Sedona trip...
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

Thanks

Appreciate the information... I may try this myself... just hate to do $1000 worth of work, and have to pay to have that ripped out and done correctly! Ha... not that I have ever done that...
rcpetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
$2,500 sounds way too high as you are not talking a lot of square feet. This should be the same as in a house.
Labor cost is high due to all the cutting and trimming needed and not much room.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

Yeah, flooring labor in RVs is always A LOT more than houses due to all the cuts and intricacies.

I had vinyl plank flooring installed in my SB house's kitchen, entry and dining room a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. It's an outstanding material in every way - feels good, super durable, looks great, easy to clean, etc.

One caution in an RV is that it is thicker than your sheet vinyl which could cause problems with the slides (another reason RV installs cost more). I want to say my flooring is 9mm thick which is pretty standard for all the vinyl plank I've seen.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpetty View Post
Appreciate the information... I may try this myself... just hate to do $1000 worth of work, and have to pay to have that ripped out and done correctly! Ha... not that I have ever done that...

Not hard to do just study the material and instructions so you can start in the right place. They are mostly click together but they attach much easier from one direction than from the other. That is why I said to study the material and instructions.
I made all cuts with a square and a sharp razor knife.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #13

What Redhooker said: find a chunk underneath something that won't be seen and try to pull out a replacement piece. Helped my buddy install all new vinyl sheet flooring in his Cougar a few years ago couple months later same problem, screw under the slide damaged the vinyl, he was able to lay a remnant on top - matching perimeter pattern, then used sharp utility knife, cut thru both layers, patched it in, did it so well I couldn't find the patch later.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #14

It's an easy DIY job. Only need a straight edge and a utility knife. I did mine in the desert of AZ with only those tools.

Tags
5th wheel, ace, floor, flooring, replace, vinyl