Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

5th wheel vs Gooseneck

Iím sure this has been discussed here prior, but i could not find it..
here my questions:

Would it make sense to remove the fifth wheel pin box on a heavy travel trailer and replace it with a Gooseneck Pin Box?
this would allow the registering of a heavy tow vehicle as RV and then still being able to pull a fifth wheel trailer legally in florida...

proís and cons ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

I have a Goosebox and I'm a fan. The only problem is you hook it up just like a regular ball hitch. A little finesse is needed.

Whitewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #3

This is what I learned

It will work but it depends on trailer size, road conditions, distance traveled.

Travel trailer manufacturers use 5th over a goose neck because less steel is used.

Using a goose neck adds stress that a 5th trailer was not designed for.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

That is true. Except in the case of a Goosebox. It has an airbag and two shocks. Designed by Reese and approved by Lippert. If it wasn't approved by the frame manufacturer, I wouldn't have added it.

Our High Country loaded up weighs in at about 11,000 lbs, with hitch weight at about 2500 lbs. I say 'about' because it depends on how much stuff my wife brings.

I've pulled to southern Missouri from the U.P. without one problem. And there was some pretty nasty roads and construction between here and there.

The airbag has a release valve, so anytime you hit some rough roads, you MIGHT loose some air. I always check this when I fill up with fuel.
Whitewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

I use a B&W Goose with an Andersen Ultimate Hitch attached. You get the all the benefits of hitch/unhitching while on weird angles plus you can see the ball and hitch while reversing through the rear window. At 37lbs, I pull the hitch out whenever I need my truck bed.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

I have a heavy 2016 Arctic Fox 27.5 that came with the Moride pinbox. I had the dealer install the Reese goosebox, and I sold the Moride. I could not be happier with the Reese. So nice not to have the 5th. wheel hitch in the truck to fight with. This is a very smooth and quiet ride with no clunking. I have been using gooseneck adapters for 30 years with great results. I think the Anderson hitch and the new Goosebox hitches will lead the old 5th.wheel hitches to the way of the Dodo. I did buy a 5 inch adapter that put the ball back, as I have a short bed. That also added about 2" height which I really needed. The New trucks are too dang tall. Now I have 7-8" between the trailer and bedrails. Dave-R.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

I do not understand your question..........

What does having a 5th wheel pin box/hitch vs gooseneck & ball hitch have to do with truck registration?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

I'll try this analogy.

Imagine trying to balance a 2,000lb (pin weight) ball on a 5th vs and a 2 5/16" gooseneck ball.

Put the 2000lb ball on a 5th and it will sit in the pin pocket an may roll off to the front or back.

Put the 2000lb ball on a 2 5/16" ball for a gooseneck and it will roll of in any direction.

TT builders do not design a trailer for a goooseneck so less steel (cheaper/lighter) can be used.

If the TT manufacture says it is O.K. make sure to ask what the warranty is and find out if they do warranty work 1 day after the warranty expires.

P.S. An Arctic Fox 5th is a trailer I'd use the Goosebox on but as with anything it depends on how it is used.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I do not understand your question..........
What does having a 5th wheel pin box/hitch vs gooseneck & ball hitch have to do with truck registration?
That is a good question!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

the reason i asked the initial question is due to the following :

Iím getting an older Teton Fifth wheel. Due to the weight of the Trailer i need a larger than 1-ton Truck.
I was considering a old 359 Peterbilt and register it as an RV. As per Florda regulations, a RV CAN NOT be equipped with a 5th wheel hitch. It can however have a gooseneck.
So... if i got with a larger Truck and a gooseneck setup, i can register it as RV.

Hope this explains my question
thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

How about a MDT? Or F450? How heavy is the teton?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
I'll try this analogy.

TT builders do not design a trailer for a goooseneck so less steel (cheaper/lighter) can be used.

If the TT manufacture says it is O.K. make sure to ask what the warranty is and find out if they do warranty work 1 day after the warranty expires.
I believe the primary reason for fifth wheel use over a goose neck ball is that the states which allow human occupants to travel in fifth wheels campers, do not allow travel in a goose neck attached trailer. I think the ball coupler and safety chains on a goose neck have something to do with it.
The Reese Goose Box is a good alternative if it'll handle the weight.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter59 View Post
I believe the primary reason for fifth wheel use over a goose neck ball is that the states which allow human occupants to travel in fifth wheels campers, do not allow travel in a goose neck attached trailer. I think the ball coupler and safety chains on a goose neck have something to do with it.
The Reese Goose Box is a good alternative if it'll handle the weight.
Some 5th trailers manufactures know a trailer design is so week they will make what is called a precut rather than let the fiberglass crack and have a warranty claim.

Precuts can be found at the lower front corner of (bedroom) slide above the pin box.

Myself I wouldn't put a GB on a trailer with a precut.....I don't let humans travel in a trailer either.

There are no chains on a GB

Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
[QUOTE=.I don't let humans travel in a trailer either.

There are no chains on a GB [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't either but some do.

A GB install is different from a goose neck and goose neck trailers do have safety chains I believe.

Tags
5th wheel