Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

5th Wheel - Water leak

Hi all. I'm back with another 5th wheel doozy. First of all, a big thanks to everyone who helped with my electrical questions on my newer trailer. Good luck with this one.

This is an older model trailer. 82' 22ft Sportking. It was free from a family member. We started restoring it when we noticed the freshwater tank is leaking. From where we aren't sure. before we started the restoration we used it regularly without issues. When we found water damage in the roof in the corners we decided to restore. That's when we got the new trailer. Anyway....the water tank was always filled once we got to our destination. We never filled it at home. One of our kids stayed in there for a bit and I hooked up the hose to the tank inlet fill and left it on. I was told I should have had a regulator on it because the camper floor became a puddle.

Pretty sure its the tank....but from where....I don't know. Here's the kicker.....it was installed and then the counters and kitchen area were installed over it. So it looks as if I'll have to tear all that out to get to the tank to see if it's leaking at a top connector or what....

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Typically tanks are one of the first items installed. Usually their under the floor. But if yours is above the floor then your only choice is to start taking things apart. Assume you will find black mold so work accordingly.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #3

Could also be plumbed with water pipe, and finally rusted thru........my folks trailer did that, and I redid it all with Pex....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

450Donn: Yeah....what's what I figured just by looking where it lay. Was hoping to not rip out the kitchen. The wood is in great shape and has a classic vintage look. It would be a shame to ruin.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

As another option, just get a couple of 2 gallon water jugs to use. In years past for a quick camping trip we would use the jugs instead of de-winterizing the RV water system. Keep a jug in the bathroom to flush the toilet and kitchen for dishes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #6

I've had trailers where the fresh water tank was inside sitting on the floor so understand why the leak is inside. But before you do anything make sure the leak is not on the drain side of things, like a loose P-trap. Second, since you left the hose running to fill the tank and the fill inlet is likely just above the tank, you should check that as well. Due to age, the fill hose or the exterior fill port could be cracked or just a loose hose clamp on either the fill hose or the small vent hose.

Otherwise, if you are sure it is the tank, you should still be able to remove the cabinet w/o destroying it. Disconnect all the water and drain lines to the sink, unscrew the countertop from the base, then unscrew the base from the wall, floor and adjacent cabinet.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Grindstone01: Thanks but going for a permanent fix.

Dayle1: The water hadn't been used in the trailer. I connected the hose and left it on at the fill spout. I can only assume it over filled or busted a line out. I won't know until I get dig into this.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Due to age, the fill hose or the exterior fill port could be cracked or just a loose hose clamp on either the fill hose or the small vent hose.
That was my point, the exterior fill spout could be cracked. But most likely just a loose vent hose or fill hose. The rubber looses its compression and clamps get loose, then the weight of water in the hose pulls it off the fitting.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, leak, water, water leak