Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

5th wheel wiggle

Took out our "new to us" 97 Jayco Eagle 303rk this weekend. Had the water topped off w/ 56 gal. water (at the very back of the rig), full propane in the pass. front, all the holding tanks empty, new tires (same as old tires) aired to within 2 lbs on truck and trailer, about 4 inches clearence on bed rails, pulling w/ 2001 Chevy hd 2500, (same truck as I pulled old trailer with, Reese 15k hitch mounted 2 in in front of axel.
got up to about 50-55 mph and it felt like the trailer was whipping. Stopped and checked everything, looking good. got back up to about 50 started feeling it again, thought it might be wind, went around some curves still doing it changing wind direction, increased speed to about 60-65, still the same but not worse.
Pulled the rig home w/ about 20 gal water in tank, still feel it but not as bad. got home got the tape measure out and measured everthing under the trailer, everything equal on the measurements, did find that the passenger side brakes have never been hooked up, (no wire to the hubs and the little wire caps are still on the hub wires), they will be hooked up tommorrow.
Any ideas as to what my problem is of am I just feeling something that is not there. any ideas would help, got a elk hunt in 2 weeks and this is my camp, 450 miles one way
jimbo882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Jimbo, I would suspect that since the situation improved when you lost 35 gallons (around 280 pounds) from the tank at the back, that your problem may be in weight distribution. By losing weight aft, you are effectively increasing pin weight. You could try loading some heavy stuff in the forward storage area and see if it helps.

Good luck with it...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #3

Next I would give a serious look at the trailers suspension. 97 is old enough that unless it was already taken care of the spring eyes, bushing,shackle could simply be worn out.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
55 gallon water tank full will be over 500# of weight in the rear. This will have a very definite effect on the trailer balance. Also, as suggested, check the suspension, shackles, etc on the trailer.

The heavy weight in the rear will have two negatives...this unloads the pin which creates problems and then the big weight acts as a pendulum. The lighter pin weight will aggravate the problem.

So, I would travel with as little fresh water as possible and load it as close to your destination as possible.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Just cause your old truck was pulling your old trailer, that doesn't mean it can pull your new one ok.
Also, you need more room above the bed.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #6

Also, 4" of clearance is not enough. (ask me how I know) Sooner or later you will have bent bed rails...