Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
5th wheel with generator

Looking for ideas. Looking for a 5th wheel that comes with a built in propane generator
large enough to run most things.
Who has one and what company do we look at

grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Most Arctic Foxes come generator ready, with wiring and propane line ready for the dealers to install the Generator. On my older Arctic fox I installed an Onan 4000 gas model myself.
Not to bad of a job. I went with a portable one in our 2016 27-5L Arctic fox, even though it was generator prepped also. I wanted the extra storage, and quiet. There are reasons not to go propane. The fuel is harder to get, the tanks are harder to fill, and you have a limited fuel supply. JMO Dave-R

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2016 3500 Duramax SRW
Dave-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
We have an Onan 4000watt propane genset in our 5'vr.
On propane it is about 3600 watts. We don't use the air often but the genset has no problem with it. I've run the microwave and coffee pot at the same time with no problems.
It's not an inverter type so runs at full rpm all the time. Seems to be louder inside the trailer than outside but that maybe because it is mounted in the front compartment under the bedroom. Burns a bit of propane at full load but we have propane available everywhere up here.
With it being propane I don't do anything to winterize it. I fire it up in the spring and let it run for an hour or two with a 1500 watt heater for load. It's a 2008 and never had a problem with it. It's very convenient being mounted in the trailer, push a button and use it.
Most trailers can have a genset installed in the front compartment and with propane you don't need a separate gas tank.
Old Dog Learning New Tricks
cpurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
We opted for a propane Onan 5500 in our Drv. Pretty happy with the decision.

We have been dry camping for the last three days. Ran the generator at least every morning and evening and a little in the middle of the day for AC. The water heater is on propane, of course cooking, then ran the furnace a little too. Filled the bottle I was pulling out of yesterday for about $15.00 for 4.6 gallons.

It's recommended that even with the propane generators you should still fire them up once a month and run them with a decent load for a couple hours. As we full time and are usually hooked up to shore power, with ours I just set both AC's real low and let it do it's thing. So far so good.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
We also have an Onan 5500 LP and it works great for us. We used it extensively on our trip to Alaska. However, if we need to run the generator for a/c, we would stay in a campground instead.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
If you are ordering new, then just about any fiver with room in the basement can be prepped for a gen. If looking at ones on a lot, then it depends on what the dealer ordered, but again, many can be equipped aftermarket, but at a higher cost.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
I have an Arctic Fox 27-5L; had it upgraded to 50 amp and added a Onan 5500 LP generator. It will run everything in the coach without a problem. LP generators are low to no maintenance. I had one in my 2007 AF 990 camper and it was nice to have. Like any generator, you should run it under load occasionally just to keep everything moving. It fires up first time, every time, so I never have to think about it.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Google up Norwall they have a great selection of Onans. Owned by Cummins and any Cummins shop usually has Onan repairs. If you are going to run 2 Ac get a 5500 if not go4000 . I bought a 5500 from them 3995 free shipping and no tax. Don't buy from a rv dealer at least a 1000 more.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Fire um up once a month 2hrs full load keeps the generator itsel working smooth. Got that info from zOnan rep at a rally.

jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, generator