Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Not exactly. What I was asking is: what does the air brake test involve? I'm really looking for specifics.

thanks,

Ron
The air brake knowledge test covers Chapter 5 of the attached CDL Manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chapter_5_handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf (568.4 KB, 25 views)
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
During my towing adventures, I see all kinds of bad drivers! Not just trailers, but cars, cycles, you name it. All depends on their driving skill and attention to the road, not their cell phones. Practice is what it takes.
I have good success tucking in behind 18 wheelers, staying a safe distance and maintain their speed following behind so they can see me in their mirrors. They mostly know how to drive better than me (not always).
Stay safe out there!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #31

My hubby wants to put a sign on the back of our 5er saying Retired and Touring in no hurry.

How can you see the country at 75 mph? We are in Ok and Tx on the border. 75 mph at 2 lane roads? Are you kidding me? We have never seen that before
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #32

Quote:
What exactly were the requirements for getting your air break (sic) licence (sic)?

When I got my Class B NCDL, all I had to do was show that I could bring my mh to a complete stop.

Ron
One day classroom instruction course with exam at end of day. The instruction covered the mechanics and operation of a air brakes on a semi. The exam involved explaining the course material on the actual semi to confirm our knowledge. Safety was a primary focus. There was no actual driving of a vehicle with air brakes. I understand some states require air brake licience to drive class A motor homes. We were thinking of a class A at the time.

The whole system does not make sense to me, other than accident and insurance claims must be low..relatively speaking. Therefore, laws and regulations are relaxed when it comes to RV's. Defensive driving is very important. In the 30k miles we have pulled an RV, I've never had to lock my brakes to avoid an incident...knock on wood. I think most RVers are carefull.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
My hubby wants to put a sign on the back of our 5er saying Retired and Touring in no hurry.

How can you see the country at 75 mph? We are in Ok and Tx on the border. 75 mph at 2 lane roads? Are you kidding me? We have never seen that before

75 mph when the speed limit is 75 mph. And this argument always kills me, this whole missing the scenery thing. Shouldn't one be paying attention to the road, no matter what speed they're driving? If you want to take in the scenery, pull over.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #34

5th Wheelers trying to Kill Me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
75 mph when the speed limit is 75 mph. And this argument always kills me, this whole missing the scenery thing. Shouldn't one be paying attention to the road, no matter what speed they're driving? If you want to take in the scenery, pull over.

75 mph is the maximum, not the required speed. If it was required, then states, counties, etc. would be up to their ears in lawsuits and there would be no need for passing zones and pull-outs. GM recommends a max towing speed of 65 for my toad.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
75 mph is the maximum, not the required speed. If it was required, then states, counties, etc. would be up to their ears in lawsuits and there would be no need for passing zones and pull-outs. GM recommends a max towing speed of 65 for my toad.

Certainly. And when I have my second trailer in tow my max speed is 65. But if it's just my truck and the fiver, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 75 on the interstate.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
During my towing adventures, I see all kinds of bad drivers! Not just trailers, but cars, cycles, you name it. All depends on their driving skill and attention to the road, not their cell phones. Practice is what it takes.
I have good success tucking in behind 18 wheelers, staying a safe distance and maintain their speed following behind so they can see me in their mirrors. They mostly know how to drive better than me (not always).
Stay safe out there!

Do me a favor when you do that and stay back far enough that I can see the front of your vehicle. And just a note of caution when a truck tire goes it goes fast, I have has a steer tire come of the rim and travel under the tractor and the trailer and pop up when it hit the federal bar. If you are too close it will get you. Also remember I set higher with more clearance and can many time straddle something in my lane that you can not. If you are that close you have no time to react.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Certainly. And when I have my second trailer in tow my max speed is 65. But if it's just my truck and the fiver, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 75 on the interstate.

YIP especially with fuel prices low. We like to get to our destination sooner than later. I will say it's about a 1.5-2 MPG hit going from 60-75.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
YIP especially with fuel prices low. We like to get to our destination sooner than later. I will say it's about a 1.5-2 MPG hit going from 60-75.

I think I was averaging in the low eights cruising at 75, depending on the wind. Sometimes higher, but usually 8.2 or so according to the EVIC. Going 65 with my motorcycle in the enclosed trailer behind the fiver we've been getting the same mileage, but it does (obviously) take noticeably longer to get to our destination. But we only move every couple months so it's not that big of a deal I guess.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Not exactly. What I was asking is: what does the air brake test involve? I'm really looking for specifics.

thanks,

Ron

2 day course for me.
you learn how the function and how to do the required tests and why.
for example
-air up tanks
-pump brakes up till low air alarm (note psi at alarm)
-time in seconds till alarm off
-time to max air
etc etc
I had to memorize all the values and times,how to adjust the slacks and show a understanding of stuff like 'trailer protection valve' and on and on.
we are re tested every 5 years .
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #40

I don't know other state laws but Illinois does require a different license for trailer over 10k pounds. I think me and a handful of folks are the only ones who actually have gotten the proper license, but it is there.

An RV is exempt from a CDL license, but not exempt from having the proper weight classification non-cdl license.

For example the basic license everyone gets is a class D, which is good for a GCWR or up to 16000 lbs.

Class C is GCWR under 26k and trailer under 10k,

Class B is for a single vehicle up to 26,000 lbs (motorhome),

Class A is for trucks with GVWR up to 26,000 and trailers over 10,000 lbs.

I have a non CDL class A license. Doesn't make me a better driver, but if there was ever a problem at least I am legal on license and tags for the weight I am hauling. I have heard horror stories of insurance companies denying claims after not at fault accidents because the driver had the wrong license and or plates for the weight hauled.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #41

Don't start hammering on big rigs , you got your 10% in every profession. No you cannot buy a class 8 truck and away you go . Most states if not all require a class 1 non commercial license to haul over 26000 gross wt . There should be a skills test required for anyone towing a trailer down the road. alot could use some practice backing up.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #42

I drive a class 5 freightliner with air brakes. I had to get an air brake endorsement.

I hadn't realized what truckers go through until we did a 5500 mile trip last year. We actually bought a dash cam.

What scares me are the pilots of the Class As that are older than father christmass and that cannot walk without the air of a walker..

Jast sayin'..

Tags
5th wheel