Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #15

I think a lot of fifth wheel drivers do not realize that they track differently than a bumper tow. They track more to the inside when making turns. I skip the comment about big truck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Why, and perhaps the more important question, how are you "towing the wife"? We want to know more.
Too funny! Simply put we are defensive, it has saved us many times!!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
My wifey is driving the jeep, so she acts as my pilot car. It's quite handy, as I just radio to her that it looks like I'll be needing to get over to pass soon, and then she clears the left lane for me. She also prevents traffic from screaming up beside me in situations like two-lane left turns. "Team Defensive Combat Driving" certainly makes things less nerve-racking on my end.

Attachment 129629
You should get her a rack for the top with the flashy lights and a banner saying "WIDE LOAD".
Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Everytime I drive on US 550 between Durango & Montrose, doesn't matter whether I am Northbound or Southbound, someone in a motorhome is always crowding/cutting across the centerline causing me to have to swerve to avoid them.....tough to do when towing my 5vr.

If I can stay in my lane WHY can't those in motorhomes do the same.?
Sometimes you wonder if they are doing it on purpose.........
Every time we head to Phoenix on 10 from Palm Springs it's usually windy. It does not bother us but some Motorhomes just can't stay in their lane. If they would just slow down a bit they would be fine. You have to time it to pass!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #19

I think there are many bad drivers on the road I sure wouldn't just assign them to 5th wheelers. Plenty of nuts driving cars and motorcycles. I haven't had a problem so far in our travels since August with any campers.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
You should get her a rack for the top with the flashy lights and a banner saying "WIDE LOAD".

Are you calling my wife fat?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #21

Windy conditions cause a lot of these issues. Wind will move my Freightliner, will move my 5ther. Takes longer to correct a long train of truck/5ther. I hate narrow roads, try to avoid them but we have a right on them also. Also it is our home. No one is telling me to get a smaller place to live in.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I wish everyone would have done what I and my wife did once we purchased our TT. We sought out driver instruction to allow me (and the wife) to safely negotiate the roads without unintentionally becoming a danger to others.

When I traded the TT in for our present Class A, we sought out the same instructor because I felt I was a danger to others due to my inexperience driving a Class A. I am sure 5th wheels handle differently than either Class A's and TT's.

He was a good sounding board and would give honest feedback. He also took the time to look over the roof of our Class A pointing out things he would do if it were his rig.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #23

5th Wheelers trying to Kill Me???

Quote:

Maybe the sign should read "OLD FART DRIVING", or would that be redundant behind a motorhome?
My friend and his wife were selecting a name for their new boat and planning to have some shirts printed. She made it clear she would not be wearing anything with the word Whale on it.

I haven't quite figured out the purpose of the "Towed Vehicle" signs. Is that so they don't get ticketed for tailgating? I have wondered if my toad could get cited at a red light camera. Motorhome entered the intersection on yellow, but toad entered on red.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbear View Post

I have my air break licence.
What exactly were the requirements for getting your air break (sic) licence (sic)?

When I got my Class B NCDL, all I had to do was show that I could bring my mh to a complete stop.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Maybe the sign should read "OLD FART DRIVING", or would that be redundant behind a motorhome?
My friend and his wife were selecting a name for their new boat and planning to have some shirts printed. She made it clear she would not be wearing anything with the word Whale on it.

I haven't quite figured out the purpose of the "Towed Vehicle" signs. Is that so they don't get ticketed for tailgating? I have wondered if my toad could get cited at a red light camera. Motorhome entered the intersection on yellow, but toad entered on red.

Haha! Perhaps the old fart sign would make people more lenient to my 65 mph ST tire speed limit (the DRV factory goodyears are good to 75, but I pull tandem to bring a motorcycle along in a cargo trailer) or maybe they would just curse the fact that there is an old fart at the wheel and they are unfortunate enough to be stuck behind me. I think my window tint is dark enough that nobody will notice I'm in my early 30's when they pass.

When we were considering a toad behind our fiver so that wifey and I could just drive together (hitch on the fiber ended up being the limiting factor there, as she really wanted a jeep) I read a few stories where it seemed drivers didn't recognize the concept of a tow-behind vehicle and would sometimes try to merge between the RV and the toad, hoping the road would back off and let them in. Perhaps a sign would be useful in that scenario? Not certain. We have yet to run into that issue with the trailer behind our trailer though.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
What exactly were the requirements for getting your air break (sic) licence (sic)?

When I got my Class B NCDL, all I had to do was show that I could bring my mh to a complete stop.

Ron
I think I can shed some light on this. It isn't really an Air Brake License, but an Air Brake Endorsement to the regular Class B Knowledge Test.

In addition to the General Knowledge Test, there is an air brake test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes.

There are the following restrictions that could be placed on my Class B License.

If the vehicle used for testing is not equipped with air brakes, license must show an “L” - no air brake equipped CMV restriction.

If the vehicle used for testing is equipped with air over hydraulic brakes, license must show a “Z” - no full air brake equipped CMV restriction.

Source: NCDOT: Commercial Drivers (CDL)

Hope that helps.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
I think I can shed some light on this. It isn't really an Air Brake License, but an Air Brake Endorsement to the regular Class B Knowledge Test.

In addition to the General Knowledge Test, there is an air brake test,

Hope that helps.
Not exactly. What I was asking is: what does the air brake test involve? I'm really looking for specifics.

thanks,

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #28

Quote:

OH I am in trouble now!

Tags
5th wheel