Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
5ver Question

Which 5ver is best for a short bed 3/4 ton F250?

txswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
The problem with a short box is in a tight turn the trailer and cab will hit, some of the newer trailers the front has rounded ends to help prevent this. I have a 27 with a f250 6.4 diesel with the 6.5' bed and my trailer has square edges. I can go nearly 90 degrees soi installed a Husky slider hitch, when I thing I'm getting close just pull the bar and I gain 9". Go by the gross vehicle weight and find out what the rear axle can handle, even though the pin will be 4 to 6" in front of the rear axle you can exceed the total truck GVCC. There are many web sites just google it.

Dear tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
It depends on the shape of the front cap and position of the kingpin, I don't have any issues with the Sabre and a B&W Companion in the forwardmost setting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3752693868.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	46002   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-11285407.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	46003  

pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
The best fiver will be the one that your F250 can carry, not just tow because there are a lot of 3/4 ton TVs that are well suited for what they tow but are over the weight limit in what they carry. Check your weights and make sure you have a safety margin. Be very skeptical of RV salespeople and make sure to ask them what the pin weight is on any unit you are looking at. Only the good salespeople will know what you are talking about. I learned the hard way. Good luck!
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Practically, a 3/4 ton truck can carry the pin weight of 5er up to about a 32' trailer. You will see and be told by many that are doing fine with their 37' and up 5ers.

A 3/4 ton truck is limited by the pin weight of the trailer and the GVWR of the truck. A typical 5er will have a loaded pin weight around 20% of the trailers GVWR.. Some RVers feel that they are fine with applying a crutch (Air bags) to the rear of the truck.

You can't go by brochure dry weights and tow ratings. Do you home wor k and know your real weights.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
One more area that you cannot exceed in weight ratings is the tires and axles for your truck. So you need to know the trailer weight and the truck weight and then the axle weights with the trailer attached.

In my case for my truck; the steer axle (front) is 4,940LBS, the drive axle (rear) is 5,160LBS, trailer axles are 8,140 LBS, and the GCVW is 18,240 LBS. These are all under the manufacture maximum allowable weight ratings.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
Check out Heartland RV. They invented and patented the 88 degree turning radius front cap.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Extened pin box and slider hitch (just in case) should me concidered for a short bed. I tow a 5th wheel with a Dodge Cummins 3500 Mega-Cab, The Mega-Cab is the shortest bed out there. I very rarely have to use the slider. But I have it just in case. Like others have said, trailer weight, pin weight, vehicle capacity, tire capacity, rear axle capacity all are part of the equation. Good luck.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
None. If you want to RV get an adequate long bed tow vehicle for a vehicle.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Just remember to add the weight of the hitch to your pin weight. The slider I had was 300 lbs.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
I have a 5'7" bed with a Reese standard 16K hitch (90 lbs), but swapped the pin box for a Reese Sidewinder pin box. I can go beyond 90 degrees before I have to worry about it.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
F-250 & Rockwood

Howdy from Phoenix, my wife and I knew we wanted to travel and fifth wheel was the preferred method. We bought a 2012 F-250 with 6.7 in July 2012, and just about six weeks ago we found a 2010 Rockwood ultralight 8265 WS in Prescott AZ. I knew I would have to keep the pin weight down, but also knew that we didn't want a large fifth wheel, at least initially. We will be retiring in about four months, and then gradually increasing our stay away time. Our first trip was over Labor day weekend and was great, kids, grandkids, etc. Our next trip is planned for October 18th, and look forward to a great time. I believe you will be able to find many "light" fifth wheels that you will be able to tow. Good luck

rcpetty is offline   Reply With Quote