Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Since you indicate you already have stabilizers, i would suggest a good set of tire chocks. Ones that go between the wheels and expand against the treads.
Ditto! I made my own between the tires chocks. Get a length of 4x4, 2 lengths of 3/8" all-thread, 6- 3/8 nuts and flats. Saw the 4x4 into equalateral triangles to match the radius of your tires.Drill a 3/8 hole in each block, assemble everything so that only one block is movable. Now you have a $5 set of 2 wheel chocks that will stop the trailer from rocking.
After the tires reach ambient temperature they must be retightened because the tires resume their original diameter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
We had no luck with either the Bi Pod or the additional arm jacks added to the very rear of our 5th wheel. We have been very satisfied with our stabilizers that we have been using for over 6 years. We use the plug it right brand. Diana

2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
I can tell you from my personal experience I had no success with a Kingpin Tripod. I also tried another support that was bolted to the Kingpin and then connected to the landing gears, I have forgotten what it was called, but it didn't do anything either. I have blocks between the wheels so there is no movement there. I have even tried to placing jacks on both sides just forward of the axle and that hasn't improved it either. So we are still shaking and baking. I just can't justify the expense of going with one of the more elaborate systems, maybe some day.
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
For what it's worth when I leveled my 5ver, I always brought the jacks down with the front a bit lower than the rear, then lowered the rear jacks as hard down as I dared before finishing the level with the front. This put the 4 corners all down solid. Finish off with the chocks to reduce the front and back movement and I found that adequate. I never could convince myself that the kingpin jack would help stabilize anymore than the frame aready did. It seemed to me that if the frame was strong enough to pull the trailer it would hold all solid when there was no movement. With the height from the ground to the kingpin the jack would offer little.
The only thing that I believe may help further would be a frame jack that would take the preasure off of the axel springs and put the weight directly to the ground. Springs are made to spring and that results in movement within!

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote