Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

5ver Stability

I need some suggestions on how to stop my 5ver (35ft) from moving around when people walk in it when it is setup for camping. I have added an extra set of scissor jacks on each side in the middle of the trailer in addition to purchasing 2 sets of Wayne''s RV Stabilizers (I use one in front and one in back). So far these additions have not seemed to solve the problem. One more thing I have though of adding is a King Pin Stabilizer Jack, but I have read that these really don't work to well. Anyone have anymore suggestions or is this something I will just have to live with?

Thanks for your help.
mward3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

The king pin stabilizer I've used does help with stability. No other side jacks were needed. Try one.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
They make stablizars for the jacks that stop the side to side rocking and expanding chocks between the wheels takes care of the front to rear motion. I was in a 5er with the stablizars and they made a world of difference. I have talked to my dealer and in October when I take my 5er for inspection and winterization he is going to install them on ours. I don't know who makes them but they cost a couple hundred dollars installed.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
They make stablizars for the jacks that stop the side to side rocking and expanding chocks between the wheels takes care of the front to rear motion. I was in a 5er with the stablizars and they made a world of difference. I have talked to my dealer and in October when I take my 5er for inspection and winterization he is going to install them on ours. I don't know who makes them but they cost a couple hundred dollars installed.
Kingpin helps some and is cheaper than the stabilizers, I do have. My understanding is the stabilizers are better.

Regular stabilizers for example;
Welcome to JT's RV Accessories

jminyard has made some he is trying out, some of us are looking at the same.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/the-u...rs-101153.html
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried using bigger block of wood under jacks? This seems to help ours, it helps as the jacks don't have to be extended as far and makes for more stable setup. Hmm, I mean thicker block of wood, like a 6X8.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Camping world has a deal on a HD tripod going on now. I got one and it really helps.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #7

I have found that no one thing can stop the movement ,but the king pin works well. Don't be afraid to lift your fifth wheel up with the back scissors. Transferring the weight off the springs is what you want to do. Just not all of it. I have a pretty new and little used king pin tripod you can have for free if we can find a way to get it to you. It is heavy. Are you going to the IRV2 function at the end of the month? I could bring it. E-mail me at bwmorton@frontiernet.net. Bruce .
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Check out JT's Strongarm stabilizers.
I hear they work well. Optional on Open Range fivers.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #9

I was looking at this system; SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System If you watch the video, it appears to properly address the motion problem. I would like to hear from someone who has this system.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I was looking at this system; SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System If you watch the video, it appears to properly address the motion problem. I would like to hear from someone who has this system.
I talked to a guy that has 3 kids and 2 dogs and said his 5er is solid with the system. Our dealer is going to install it on mine in October when I take it in for inspection and winterization. I'm not if it is Steadyfast or some other brand but he had a 5er with the set up last time I was there and I was sold on it. I'll post my opinion as soon as I get it home and try them out.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #11

Since you indicate you already have stabilizers, i would suggest a good set of tire chocks. Ones that go between the wheels and expand against the treads.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Until we chocked our wheels, our Coachmen rolled like it was on the ocean. We have rear jacks, front pin stabilizer and even had a set od crisscross stabilizers across the rear.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mward3 View Post
I need some suggestions on how to stop my 5ver (35ft) from moving around when people walk in it when it is setup for camping. I have added an extra set of scissor jacks on each side in the middle of the trailer in addition to purchasing 2 sets of Wayne''s RV Stabilizers (I use one in front and one in back). So far these additions have not seemed to solve the problem. One more thing I have though of adding is a King Pin Stabilizer Jack, but I have read that these really don't work to well. Anyone have anymore suggestions or is this something I will just have to live with?

Thanks for your help.
I tried the kingpin tripod and was disappointed in it. Bulky to carry and in-the-way under the front when in use. The RotoChoks and the home-made stabilizers solved the problem for me. (see my post "the ultimate 5er stabilizers" in this section) Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
We just moved up from a TT to a new TH and I decided we would go with the RotoChoks first to tame the front to rear movement when the kids walk(100# elephants) If that doesn't fix enough of the movement we'll probably spring for the Steady Fast vs the JT, I liked the JT until I saw that the Steady Fast attaches to the foot and not the arm leaving a loose point between the bars and the ground. The only hangup is drilling holes in a brand new frame and that has to be done with either system.