Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
You guys are preaching to the choir , I really think it's the best decision to get a f'vr but my wife keeps reading all kinds of post saying about fifth wheels in general and the lack of sturdy construction, I am fighting a losing battle.

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group

I'm a motorhome guy but I can certainly see the appeal of a 5er. Take her to see some "Mobile Suites" brand units. They are beautiful and very high quality. There are others of course but I happen to be acquainted with those.

Schedule some vacation to Tampa in January & spend a few days at the "Super Show".

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #16

I can't see the appeal. I lose the roof of the towed for a canoe or boat, I can't pullover in the rain and walk back for a cold drink while waiting for it to stop, I have to drive a big truck all the time, etc

Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
You guys are preaching to the choir , I really think it's the best decision to get a f'vr but my wife keeps reading all kinds of post saying about fifth wheels in general and the lack of sturdy construction, I am fighting a losing battle.

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group
Thomas,

This is the 5th wheel you want to show to your wife if she is concerned about quality. This unit is hands down the best unit on the market today; next to a custom designed Space Craft model

It is a Continental Coach. I have attached the link for you to review.

Continental Coach Elegance

Jim
Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I can't see the appeal. I lose the roof of the towed for a canoe or boat, I can't pullover in the rain and walk back for a cold drink while waiting for it to stop, I have to drive a big truck all the time, etc

LOL, seriously. You can put any boat, canoe or kayaks on the front of the truck. And what do you do when it's raining at home. Stay inside? When you go to the store for shopping and it's raining do you just sit in the car till it quits. And if it doesn't quit do you just go back home and try later?
You drive a huge MH and you're worried about driving a truck?

I waiting to read about the guy that's afraid of heights and won't drive a MH cause he sits too high up.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
LOL, seriously. You can put any boat, canoe or kayaks on the front of the truck. And what do you do when it's raining at home. Stay inside? When you go to the store for shopping and it's raining do you just sit in the car till it quits. And if it doesn't quit do you just go back home and try later?
You drive a huge MH and you're worried about driving a truck?

I waiting to read about the guy that's afraid of heights and won't drive a MH cause he sits too high up.
Any P/U that will handle a 16-18 ft canoe or cartopper in front of the fiver is bigger than I want.

I need the big truck to get there. I don't need it after I get there. That is the point.

And yes, in rain hard enough to get me to pull over also gets me to stay where I am and dry while the big stuff blows over. One of the advantages of living long enough to retire. ;-)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #20

Here in Texas we have an other issue. In a MH you drive down the road with the air conditioner turned on high. In a 5th wheel, it will take 6 hours for it to cool down when you get to the camping spot. Or go in for a quick snack, 130 degrees waiting for you!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
We live and camp in Texas with a 5th wheel. It takes less than an hour to cool the camper with two 15K air conditioners. We learned long ago to travel with the roof vents open. Really keeps the internal temps down.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #22

Buy a Continentinal coach and you will need a lot more then a dually to tow. Beautiful but heavy and very expensive.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Buy a Continentinal coach and you will need a lot more then a dually to tow. Beautiful but heavy and very expensive.
Is that the old Lincoln Continental made by FORD ?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #24

http://www.forksrv.com/continental/te3.php

forks RV

You need a big truck ,but then its big enough to walk around in inside ,fix a meal, bunk out until the rain stops .
Then a car can be carried on deck in front of the trailer,we bring a smart car along ,but I have seen SUV's and even a picture where a guy load a 1/2 pick-up on the deck -500hp 1600+ tarks

win win
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #25

Continental Coach Elegance

forgot how to do the clicky thing here

anyway the continental is the prevost of trailers and about 1/4 the cost
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #26

We just traded our class A in on a 5th wheel. I did not like the ride in the class A and my wife loves the home style 5th wheel. And I got a new 1 ton Ram. That's a Win, Win, Win!
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #27

Oh my! And a loss, loss!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
We just traded our class A in on a 5th wheel. I did not like the ride in the class A and my wife loves the home style 5th wheel. And I got a new 1 ton Ram. That's a Win, Win, Win!

I bet you guys love the 3160EL, We looked at one before we got our 3650BH Gateway, That's a very nice coach.

Tags
class a