Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #29
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I can't see the appeal. I lose the roof of the towed for a canoe or boat, I can't pullover in the rain and walk back for a cold drink while waiting for it to stop, I have to drive a big truck all the time, etc
I've owned 2 Class-As (gas) and a Class-C, all in the 31-36' range.
The "next" RV was between a quality DP and a toy hauler.
The depreciated DP that I found was a garage-kept Fleetwood Revolution, $80k.
The Toy hauler, $51k out the door and a new truck at $61k. (new)

I could have gone either way. I can say that driving the gassers, even when you finally get them sorted out leaves something to be desired. They are, at best, well sorted U-haul trucks. And when you get where you're going, unless you're pulling another car, that's it..

The DP was beautiful, but complicated. The toy hauler, was simple, much lower build quality, but I had experience with pretty much every system i it.

We can't make lunch or run to the bathroom rolling down the road, but my fuel consumption has improved by 70%. When I get somewhere that I'm staying for a while, I can drive the truck.. And although it's non-deal, it's not the same as driving a 31'-36' monster.

I can get the truck serviced anywhere. 1 Ford dealer in 10 had a bay big enough for an F53 or E450 - that was a big problem.

I have found that there is a considerable difference in terms of being able to get through with a 12' Class-A/Class-C or a 13' Toy hauler - that 1 foot makes a big difference in terms of which trees have already been clearanced...

I don't think there is one right answer. With our lifestyle, which always included lugging "toys" around, I chose to eat the depreciation on the Toy hauler and truck. No kids, I'd definitely be DP....

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #30
As previously mentioned, YOUR intended use is the key factor in almost all cases. If you plan to do a lot of travel during the course of ownership, a DP probably makes the most sense. Easy setup & breakdown, eat-potty-cook-sleep while driving, pulling a toad, are pluses.

If you plan on staying in locations for months at a time, those features mean little, and you are sitting on a very fancy chassis that depreciates between 10 and 20 thousand dollars a year.

Many states allow triple towing, so pulling a small toad behind the fiver is possible if you are comfortable with it. When you get to a No Triples state, just unhook and put the second driver in the toad.

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #31
Wow, I don't see what the heated debate is really a valid one here. I've owned the straight pull toy hauler, and then a 5ver. advantages and disadvantages with anything you decide to go with.

But making up some unfounded claim as one way is better than the other is wasted effort.
Like, who said you can't have a cool coach at the end of the day's pull with a fiver? Leave the gen running and turn on the AC, simple.

Can't get up and make a sandwich on the move driving a fiver, that's what portable coolers are for right.

Having to pull over in the rain? well thats more to do with your comfort level and the intensity of the rain right, not at all with the vehicle.

Having to to drive a large vehicle around after the trailer is parked, now you're telling everyone, you really have limited driving skills and you are not comfortable with your equipment. I don't buy that, after all you just drove the whole rig across country to get where you are.

I loved the fiver I had, but DW had a bad experience one day when the landing gear extension lock pins didn't lock in place. An over sight on her part but just one more thing added to the push for a class (A). Our fiver was a toy hauler, we carried the bikes there and what ever we could pack in.

The class (A) has no garage, but the drive is so much more comfortable. We now have to pull a trailer to bring the toys or a dingy, but still the handling and rind to the destination wins out for us. Stopping for a nature break is another win in this case and the weather is no issue.

All in all I will never look down on anyone's decision to stay with the TT/fiver/toyhauler they use. Too many pros and cons from both sides, and other factors, real factors that influence us all to adapt to what ever equipment we settle on.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong here is there?
Please excuse my rambling, and have a wonderful day.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

class a