Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 02:28 AM   #1

5vr vs class A

We are Fulltime in a Class A. We really would like to buy a newer unit, but the Class A prices are really up there. I am attempted to talk my Dw into a new 5vr, has anyone went from a class A to a 5vr and liked it more, if so why?

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
paz

We full-timed in a 37' Class A for almost 9 years before moving to a 38' 5th wheel last January. The Class A was convenient to travel in and easy to set up. It worked really well for the way we traveled in the early years of our full-timing because we traveled longer distances and moved more often. With the exception of staying in Florida for 3 months in the winter, we only stayed in one place an average of 1 week or less.

A couple of years ago, we started staying in Florida longer, and we traveled less the rest of the year. Because we want to be close to our new granddaughter, we even stay in one place for several months in the summer now.

The 5th wheel has much more living and storage space inside. It also has MUCH more counter space which DW loves. With 6-point automatic leveling, it doesn't even take that long to set up.

For the most part, the 5th wheel is easier to drive than the Class A gasser we had before. It tracks really well, and we don't get blown around by 18-wheelers when they pass on the interstate.

Although I had gotten quite good at backing travel trailers we had years ago, I'm still getting used to backing the 5th wheel. The motorhome with backup camera was much easier, but then we had it for almost 10 years so I was used to it. At this point, I have only backed the 5th wheel 3 times. In an attempt to make the learning curve less steep, I'm looking to add a backup camera to the 5th wheel.

Good luck in your decision and your search for a new RV.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

At least part of the issue is what you want to use for a daily driver. If you are going big fiver it will be a big P/U. With a MH it can be whatever you like as in smaller.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
We are Fulltime in a Class A. We really would like to buy a newer unit, but the Class A prices are really up there. I am attempted to talk my Dw into a new 5vr, has anyone went from a class A to a 5vr and liked it more, if so why?

Thomas

It depends almost completely on what you want to accomplish with a new unit.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
JDT

The motorhome vs. fifth wheel subject gets debated a lot here and elsewhere but your question is more specific. Many have gone from a fifth wheel to a motorhome but vice versa is less common. We started with fifth wheels then had 2 motorhomes and now are back to a fifth wheel. You ask if we like it more and the short answer is yes.

We are not full timers but do spend 3 or 4 months a year in ours. In 2012 our 7 year old at that time, 39' dp was starting to become a burden to maintain and I convinced the wife we needed to look at going back to a fifth wheel. It took some doing as she was very happy with the motorhome but when she started looking at some fivers she was impressed with the room some of the floor plans provided, especially more kitchen area. I was impressed with the pricing as a new truck and comparable quality fiver were half the price of replacing our motorhome with a similar new one.

What she misses is the ability to move around when going down the road. I don't because I was always stuck behind the steering wheel. A motorhome is more convenient when you stop for potty breaks or lunch but that is of minor importance to us. We just put a lunch and drinks in a small ice chest for our all day drives. Some will say if you move a lot get a motorhome, if you stay put more get a fiver. I don't agree with that as we do move a lot and hooking up the fiver is just as easy, if not easier, than hooking up the car we towed. If you get auto leveling set up is super easy.

I really like the stability on the road of our rig versus the motorhome. It took me several years and throwing a bunch of money at it to get the motorhome to go straight down the road. Also, maintenance and repair costs are pretty much a thing of the past now also. In 3 years we have done virtually nothing to the fifth wheel other than use it. Most trips in the motorhome required some kind if fix or repair, sometimes cheap, sometimes not so cheap. Most things on the fifth wheel I can fix myself, I could not on the dp. On a dp the drivetrain and tires are upsized and so is the cost of maintenance and replacement.

There is a whole lot more I could say but I hope I have covered the high points. Just remember, this is my personal opinion and others may vary. Have fun looking.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

One more thing that MH owners never mention is the fact that in a collision the ocupends are sitting close to the front bumper and in a truck there is much more space available. One owner hit a pole and the passenger seat moved back 4 ft and the pole ended in line with him. His comment was he was lucky that the DW was not sitting in the seat. He was on a return trip from the service shop.
The cab over transports desepeared from production because truck drivers refused to drive them. And I sure feel very uncomfortable sitting in the front seat of a bus. Much more in the driver seat.
It never was a thought until the fellow told me his story.
But the story ends at the point that he turned around and bought an other MH. Ah well it's my opinion.
And I do agree that if you own a motorhome, better have a fat savings account because it's not if but when expensive repair will happen.
We owned 5th wheels for 23 years and TV and trailer repairs have been minimal. And most trucks were up to 10 years old and trailers up to 15 years old while doing over 6k miles per year towing.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

New truck=60+K
New larger good quality fiver= 70K
Total= 130K
New class A MH=?
You really need to decide what things are important to you. Quick park and to bed without having to go outside, more useable space for a given length.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
New truck=60+K
Total= 130K
New class A MH=?
You really need to decide what things are important to you. Quick park and to bed without having to go outside, more useable space for a given length.
You didn't miss it by much as that is very close to what we have in ours. Most comparable motorhomes we looked at were $250K or more, and that was after 25-30% off msrp.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #9

We had a small Class A. 32'. I hated it!! Very unconfortable for me and sensitive to heavy winds. Wife liked it. We sold it. Now have a 39' 5vr. Love it. Love pulling the 5ver with our truck. However, it's all personal preference. Think it all through. Both have their pluses and minuses. It's all what is important to you.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

I have never owned a class A always owned a 5er. Wife wanted a class A when we started to camp again before retiring. But I said we need to tow something behind the class A such as a car so lets tow a 5er instead. Since we already owned a truck all we would need is the hitch and 5er.We are now on our third unit a Cedar Creek 34RL.

What you need to do is make sure that the 5er that you look at is rated for full time living some are not. Also make sure you order every option that is available when buying. Such as a 6-point level up system, an optional pin box such as Trailair; MORryde or Demco Glide Ride these help in something out the ride; prevents chucking. To name a few.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
New truck=60+K
Total= 130K
New class A MH=?
You forgot to add in the price of a Toad. Wife and I debate this issue once in awhile. But since we got our new Camry we pretty much ended the MH/5th debate. The Camry can't be towed 4 down. And I don't want a car trailer. If the OP is looking to tow a car or SUV behind the MH he needs to be certain that the car/? is towable 4 down. Buying another vehicle to tow is just more money. Me personally I like our 5th as it tows great. We have a CC LB truck to use when running around. It's my DD so it's not an issue.

They both have their pros and cons. It really just depends on how you use them. FWIW I don't think hitching or un hitching is any more time consuming than hitching up a toad. Probably easier IMO.

Another thing to consider is if you're just stopping for the night with a MH and you have a car in tow, you either need to unhook for a back in or find a pull thru. With my 5th I can do either. My 5th sits close enough to level that I don't have to unhitch for the night to use it. Also if stopping for a quick bite, all we have to do is get in the 5th wheel and fix something. Not really that hard to get in and out of your truck and walk 20'.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

Unless you have a big MH you really get pushed around by wind and semis. They have the areodynamics of a brick on wheels and for the most part the fuel mileage sucks !
Those tiny cars they pull are nothing l want to be riding around in with the way some people drive.
Plus unless you are F T this expensive piece of equipment justs sits and sits. Diesel motors and drive trains are meant to be used . When you park your 5th wheel at home you have a nice pickup to drive and believe me the new ones are sweet ! JMO
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
When you park your 5th wheel at home you have a nice pickup to drive and believe me the new ones are sweet ! JMO
That's why we opted to go the camper and truck route. Motor Homes are nice, but we still need daily drivers. Even geared like it is, my truck is averaging around 16-17 Mpg in my daily commute. I'm averaging 15.5 on Fuelly with towing and commuting.
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #14

You guys are preaching to the choir , I really think it's the best decision to get a f'vr but my wife keeps reading all kinds of post saying about fifth wheels in general and the lack of sturdy construction, I am fighting a losing battle.

Thomas

Tags
class a