Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

6 volt batteries

I have a 2012 cedar creek that I purchased used about6 months ago. When I first got it it would always read approx 13.2 volts. I checked it two weeks ago the gauge on the Lippert system would only show "low voltage" the repair guy I used advised me to replace the batteries, which we did with Trojan T-105. When that did not correct the problem, he suggested we replace the converter, which I did. I put a volt meter on the batteries and it is only registering 11.7 volts. Does any one have a suggestion that I might use?
dwolach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
It sounds like the batteries have not been charged up and or the charger is not working
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long ago did you replace the converter compared to measuring at the battery..... If it was "Turn on converter and take reading" then leave converter on, and come back Tomorrow and check again.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Also look for a circuit breaker located near the battery. If the breaker goes bad or it is a manual re-setable, it will disconnect the battery from the converter. Also look for a disconnect switch. Some coaches were equipped with a battery disconnect switch.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Take a simple voltmeter.

Turn on converter and test at output terminals...should be in excess of 13.2 Volts at a minimum. More likely...it should read around 14.5 volts. If it doesn't, you've found the problem. Inspect the unit for bad connections or blown fuses.

If the converter seems to be working... do the same test at the battery terminals...to which those converter wires are attached. Touch the TERMINAL POSTS with your Voltmeter leads...not the terminal connectors. Volt reading should be the same as at the converter. If not, you have a wiring problem...a blown fuse in the line...or a bad terminal connection.

Assuming you are showing at least 13.2V on your charger and at the batteries...walk away for 24 hours after first insuring that the distilled water in the batteries does not need filling.

Come back the next day and disconnect the batteries and let them set for at least 12 and preferably 24 hours and take another voltage reading. They should read 12.6 or 12.7 volts (combined of course!). Anything less than 12.4 shows battery wear...and anything less than 12.2 is pretty much toast.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

He now has 6-volt batteries--what should be readings be on them?

Camper33 has a good suggestion--many systems have a small breaker with a minute reset button--if it is tripped, none of the 12-volt system that feeds thru the breaker will work.

Trojan T105s are very good batteries and have served me well for years. I also cleaned up the battery compartment and rewired thru a terminal junction strip that uses small terminals to connect the system into a master feed that comes thru #4 cables to the junction strip. This has solved much of my corrosion problems at the battery posts--and each of the strip terminals is fused. I got the entire setup from a mobile electronics (professional car stereo shop) as they are the only ones I found with flexible #4 cable.

Battery problems are very irritating--and won't improve until you identify the basic problem. You have new batteries and a new converter--the repair guy you are using to diagnose is not doing a good job, it would seem.

Good luck.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF they are properly installed he does not have two six volt batteries for there are no six volt batteries in RV's

What he has is a 12 volt battery that has been broken into two halves so that it is easier to install and remove. (Yes, i know each half is six volts).

So if they are properly installed, in Series, the readings are the same for a pair of sixes as it would be for a pair of 12's in parallel.

Still. if measuring at the battery post (As I just did with mine) I want to know the reading 24 hours AFTER he fires up the converter. not right away.. The reason. If the batteries are low you are only going to read a little bit above battery voltage with heavy current flowing or the converter throttling to prevent too fast a recharge.

Once the batteries have had time to eat a bit.. Then the voltage will rise. .Sharply.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
More likely...it should read around 14.5 volts.
If it is a multi-stage converter operating in bulk or absorption mode (meaning batteries are fairly discharged) it could be that high, but if it is a common OEM single-stage converter then it never will. Most single-stage converters will float/slow-charge the batteries at 13.5 to 13.8 volts and that's it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

I own a 2009 Cedar Creek....there is a switch that shuts the battery off under the storage area. Don't know if yours has this switch but it might.... look and see if yours doees. Like I said mine is under the entry door side storage area and is just like a little disconnect when it is off nothing works even when plugged in... battery just gets weaker and weaker.

Bryan
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

wa8xym

Appreciate the lesson on the 12-volt battery in halves--but at some point, he will have to separate them to check each one.

Joe
Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
wa8xym Appreciate the lesson on the 12-volt battery in halves--but at some point, he will have to separate them to check each one. Joe
One can take off the water caps and dip a meter lead in the electrolyte, moving from cell to cell watching for one or more that are low.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

Before anything else is done, I will check the converter an batteries as you suggested. One quick question: should I disconnect the batteries from the converter before I check it?
dwolach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #13

Yes, otherwise, if the converter is not working, you will get the reading of the battery charge state.
Joe
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If it is a multi-stage converter operating in bulk or absorption mode (meaning batteries are fairly discharged) it could be that high, but if it is a common OEM single-stage converter then it never will. Most single-stage converters will float/slow-charge the batteries at 13.5 to 13.8 volts and that's it.
Correct...of course that is also why they should be replaced with smart chargers if they are dumb ones!
That's why for this discussion about whether a charger is working or not...any reading above 13.2 is sufficient proof of operation.

Tags
batteries