Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

8' bed, 60+ gallon aux tank, tonneau cover

Now that's a title

Has anyone installed a 60+ gallon TransferFlow or Titan auxiliary fuel tank and then installed a shortened roll top tonneau for a long bed? If so, can I ask which ones; and perhaps include a picture.

Thanks,
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

I put a 110 gallon DuallyDepot aux tank in my 8' box and a trifold tonneau cover. I did cut out a hole to access the fill cap, otherwise out of sight out of mind.

How do you like your 2018 GMC? I pick up my 2018 Chevy CCDRW next wed. I plan to transfer the aux tank to my new truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Cover.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	206982  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
Now that's a title

Has anyone installed a 60+ gallon TransferFlow or Titan auxiliary fuel tank and then installed a shortened roll top tonneau for a long bed? If so, can I ask which ones; and perhaps include a picture.

Thanks,
Ron
I don't have but have seen many others that have had special ordered this
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I put a 110 gallon DuallyDepot aux tank in my 8' box and a trifold tonneau cover. I did cut out a hole to access the fill cap, otherwise out of sight out of mind.

How do you like your 2018 GMC? I pick up my 2018 Chevy CCDRW next wed. I plan to transfer the aux tank to my new truck.
I get my truck next Monday; very excited to say the least.
You have quite the setup!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I researched this, I determined that the rails of the cover could interfere with the pin box in a sharp turn. I really wanted to cover my setup but I don’t think it would have not worked + getting to fuel nozzle would have been an issue
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	207030
Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Access makes a cover that might work. It’s called the Access Toolbox Edition Roll-up Cover. It would add an inch to your bed rail height. Here’s a link: https://www.accesscover.com/toolbox/
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

I've been researching this a little myself as I have an Extang trifold cover and fueling up a tank would be difficult as the forward third of the cover is fixed. A tank where the fill nozzle extends through a hole in the cover wouldn't work as the other sections need to fold flat when towing. I've read other forums about a foldable hard tonneau where the front section folds back for just that purpose. Can't remember the name. The fill nozzle on a Titan plastic tank is recessed with the total tank height being less than 20", should fit any truck with a cover.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

How does that extra 1,000 lbs affect your weight considerations?

I'd love to have an extra 110 gallon capacity on my motorhome but no one offers upgrades on motorhomes.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How does that extra 1,000 lbs affect your weight considerations?

I'd love to have an extra 110 gallon capacity on my motorhome but no one offers upgrades on motorhomes.

I don't notice the extra 800 lbs of fuel at all, really can't tell the difference. Keep in mind the aux fuel tank is forward of the rear axle and low center of gravity with the weight being in the pickup bed. Also the dually rear axle is rated for 11k lbs by itself and the springs don't even squat with the FW hooked up and full PU box of tools.
As far as access to fill the tank, I calculate the fuel needed for our travel and as long as it is less than 1400 miles, I will just get that much fuel before I hook up. Yesterday I filled up in West NY at a reservation for $2.85/gal which is a 50 cent/gal saving and that should last into Mich and the next month of fuel needed.

You could add a aux tank in a storage compartment of your MH and with a pump transfer the fuel to the main tank.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Access makes a cover that might work. It’s called the Access Toolbox Edition Roll-up Cover. It would add an inch to your bed rail height. Here’s a link: https://www.accesscover.com/toolbox/
I have an access cover and I hate it!! Those silly rails on the left and right constantly fall down... either they fall just enough to keep the tailgate from closing, or sometimes they lose the clamp all together. In either case, you're busting out the wrench and probably an impact driver to correct it. I'm really not impressed with how the rails attach to the truck.

And if you ever need to grab that edge of your truck bed.. say for instance you are about to stand up on a tire, and you grab for the bed edge to hoist yourself up,,, whoops, you just moved that rail.

It might be that simply my dodge is the issue as the truck bed lip has no "lip".. might be different on different trucks, so I don't want to paint with such a broad brush...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #11

I went with the 40 gallon in-bed Transfer Flow tank as they said it is the only one for my application (gas) that would fit under my bed cover. I hope it fits as they say, the tank should be here tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #12

My 2016 Ford F-250 diesel has the small tank, 26 gallons. Ok if not towing but not enough range when towing. I had a local truck accessory shop install a 51 gallon gravity feed auxillary tank in the front of the bed. It's made by RDS engineering out of Perry FL. Has a tool box portion on top of the fuel cell. I wanted the 40 gallon version because more tool box capacity but got the 51 gallon version because it was about $100 less than the smaller. In retrospect I'm glad I went with the bigger tank. I figure a useful fuel load of about 45 gallons. They did have to trim about 1/2" off the front legs of the B&W companion hitch so the tank would fit and not hit the tank. Tank connects to the fuel filler tube with a flow restrictor that takes about 30-40 minutes to transfer about 20 gallons. Fuel gauge went from just under 1/4 to the F mark when I shut off the valve.

I also want a tonneau cover for the truck bed since we will be putting a generator in the bed, chained down, but want things to be out of sight, out of mind when we travel. Same shop recommended the Access or Truxedo versions. I'm going to research both for compatibility. Considerations are security of the install and not too tall above the rail. I have plenty of clearance between the truck side rails and front of the 5th wheel but don't want the cover rails to stick up too much. The fuel cell is maybe 1/8" below the side rails so that clearance isn't an issue.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

One caution of advice through my experience is to eliminate the aux tank inline filter. I had not changed the inline filter (forgot about it) and the aux pump starved and failed. My thought is the fuel gets filtered between the truck tank and injectors anyway and that filter gets changed with regular service.
Gravity aux fuel systems can ignore this advise.
Even with the pump system, it takes about 45 min to transfer 25 gallons while running down the road. I use a kitchen cooking timer to set for 20 min when the tank gets 1/2 full so I don't over fill the truck tank. The tank has a overflow return tube, but I would rather not waste pump wear.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #14

I have a 50 gallon Transferflow w/Trax-3 in the bed and a hard 4 fold Bacflip F1. The Bacflip clears our DRV without problem. The tank works great and everything is out of sight and the sun.
Steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tank