Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

A big THANK YOU for the tire monitors!

A year or two ago, I came in here, looked at topics and asked questions about tire monitors for my truck and 5th wheel. After reading, rummaging, and convincing myself the cost was warranted, I purchased the 507 system from TST for truck and 5th wheel, figuring I'd never really NEED it, but I've spent more on dumber things............

Fast forward to this "spring". I headed for the desert southwest for a 6-week wander. In Arizona, I left the campground one mid-day, and about 8 miles down the road, the tire monitor alarmed. Looking, I noticed a rear truck tire going down. I silenced the monitor and headed for an RV dealer a couple miles away. A couple minutes later the monitor went off again - this time for a trailer tire that was going down.

At the dealer, they put air in the two low tires and sent me a couple blocks to a local tire shop, where they removed a roofing nail from a trailer tire and a roofing nail from a truck tire. Both were patched and I was back on the road with no problems.

3 days later, the monitor alarmed again for the OTHER rear truck tire, so I took the truck to a tire shop and they pulled ANOTHER roofing nail out. They'd been "low" first thing in the morning, but it took a couple days to get down to where the monitor alarmed.

Once I explained what had previously happened, they pulled all the tires off and dunked them to make sure nothing else was leaking, and got me fixed and on the road again.......

I am certain that without the tire monitors at least one of these tires would have left me stranded and changing a tire by the side of the road, or would have failed catastrophically, possibly causing much damage. Because of the advice in this forum, a potentially dangerous situation was reduced to nothing more than a minor annoyance requiring a couple visits to tire shops for simple repairs.

Thanks y'all...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the information.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm

I wonder how much $ that tire store owner spends buying roofing nails to put in the road each year.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

That's a great testimonial to how effective the TPMS can be. I really value this type of information on systems like these. It gives an individual an idea of if you spend the loot, this is what it can do. Of, course there is always a chance that a total catastrophic situation can happen, which really won't matter in the equation, but a situation like this definitely avoided trouble on the road and alerted the person to seek further investigation . Thanx for posting this, it has made a difference to me for sure .
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True story,, Two of us (Both forum members) bought Pressure Pro at about the same time.. I put mine on right away being at home and having the time.. The other person tossed his in the basement (He received it at teh Campground it seems) intending to install when he got home.

Well I am about 2/3 the way to my first campground with the system on when BEEP BEEP BEEP, it got rather annoying, Car tire going down (I drive a motor home) Pulled into a rest area, fired up the ONAN and the air compressor (Sears) and re-inflatd.. All weekend long I kept blowing it up and up and up again. Finally got back home, next morning I blew it up once more and went to tire store where they told me I'd been Screwed.. so they removed the screw, patched it (No charge road hazard warranty in effect) and off I drove several hundred miles with no problems.

HE, got like 15 miles out of the campground and people are honking and pointing, same tire as I had go low. Only his is now history and the flapping rubber has done over 2,000 in secondary damage.
New tire, new rim, New brake rotor, New pads, And 2 grand in body work later he was heading on down the road.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Would like to know what is the best tire pressure monitoring system to get for Class A motorhome, 30ft.?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies......

Actually, in my case, it wasn't the roofing nails from the tire dealer, I believe they all came from the same campground... It was a sort-of post-apocalyptic-looking place with derelict mobile homes and RVs scattered around, most of which would never be mobile again. Lots of motorcycles and I never saw a single person anywhere in the place... I got out of there after 1 night, but the nails in the tires were the gift that kept on giving!

Yes, you can always have a catastrophic failure, but I suspect a high percentage of "blowouts" are preceded by tires going down at a slower rate that could have been saved.

Buying the tpms for the truck and trailer was a WHOLE lot cheaper in money, time, and possible damage, than not having it and having a tire explode.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
The TPMS is on my to buy list this spring.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Run TST 507 on my Montana 5er for peace of mind.
azkingranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainemack View Post
Would like to know what is the best tire pressure monitoring system to get for Class A motorhome, 30ft.?
I'm far from being an expert on which is the best, but I'm using the TST 507 on truck and 5th wheel. So far, as you can see from this topic, it's been a big success...

BUT, it's not perfect. I'm in Minnesota, so we eat batteries at a rate of about 2 per year per wheel. I found the batteries on Amazon, so it costs very little to keep good batteries in the senders.

A BIGGER problem was the anti-theft caps. No matter what I did - anti-seize on the threads, grease on the threads, whatever, the REALLY, REALLY TINY screws for the caps kept getting frozen and frequently corroded to the point where I had to drill them out. TST sent me replacements at no charge, but eventually I took the caps off all the wheels. While on the road on the trip in this topic I had to change a couple batteries on the trailer, which was a LOT easier without having to fight those miniscule screws on the caps.........

Also, I don't know what the new senders are called, but TST now has wheel units you can fill the tires through, without having to remove the caps.

There are older discussions in here that talk about different brands and models of TPMS, so I'd refer to some of those.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are called Flow Through Sensors and they work great. We just got back from a long southern trip and I used the TPMS to check my tire pressures every morning with a cup of coffee at the drivers station. Waaaay easier than checking each tire with a tire pressure guage.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

I too have the TST 507s for piece of mind. Worth the money in my opinion.
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I'm far from being an expert on which is the best, but I'm using the TST 507 on truck and 5th wheel. So far, as you can see from this topic, it's been a big success...

BUT, it's not perfect. I'm in Minnesota, so we eat batteries at a rate of about 2 per year per wheel. I found the batteries on Amazon, so it costs very little to keep good batteries in the senders.

A BIGGER problem was the anti-theft caps. No matter what I did - anti-seize on the threads, grease on the threads, whatever, the REALLY, REALLY TINY screws for the caps kept getting frozen and frequently corroded to the point where I had to drill them out. TST sent me replacements at no charge, but eventually I took the caps off all the wheels. While on the road on the trip in this topic I had to change a couple batteries on the trailer, which was a LOT easier without having to fight those miniscule screws on the caps.........

Also, I don't know what the new senders are called, but TST now has wheel units you can fill the tires through, without having to remove the caps.

There are older discussions in here that talk about different brands and models of TPMS, so I'd refer to some of those.
Sir,

Please call me regarding your TST TPMS. You can reach me until midnight daily at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
I wonder how much $ that tire store owner spends buying roofing nails to put in the road each year.