Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
2 weeks ago a strong thunderstorm passed over my house. The storm had some high winds and pea size hail. While cleaning the roof of my TT this week I noticed the fins on my A/C condenser are all bent up, probaly from the hail hitting thim being driven by the 60 mph+ winds. Is this going to interfear with the A/C's ability to cool properly? Do I need to try to straighten them?
Thanks
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
2 weeks ago a strong thunderstorm passed over my house. The storm had some high winds and pea size hail. While cleaning the roof of my TT this week I noticed the fins on my A/C condenser are all bent up, probaly from the hail hitting thim being driven by the 60 mph+ winds. Is this going to interfear with the A/C's ability to cool properly? Do I need to try to straighten them?
Thanks
Bill

Old 06-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If the fins are bent to the point that they restrict the airflow between them, you should straighten them. The airflow between the fins carries away the heat, and if that is restricted the performance will suffer. Too much restriction can also cause the air conditioner to have excessive pressure on the high pressure side and will shut down.

The simplest way to straighten the fins is to purchase a HVAC fin "straightener" It's basically a comb with teeth on differnent spaces to match your AC condensor. By running the comb through the fins you can straighten them fairly quickly

There available in plastic for about 6 bucks or metal for a little more money.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe-K the little device you have shown is called a "fin comb".

A word of caution, the aluminum fins are soft and will tear easily. You may need to use a plastic knife to get some of them started and just work your way down slowly.

Ken
Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
Joe-K the little device you have shown is called a "fin comb".

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ken! I knew it had a technical name and could only think of "thing-i-ma-jig"
Old 06-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the advice. I will get up on the roof and try to straighten the fins before we leave for the rally this Saturday.

Bill
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #7

To prevent future damage from hail, install some 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the coils or buy a premade guard.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #8

.......galvanized wire and aluminum fins dont go well together very long....get the small plastic small egg crate varity at an HVAC store....about $6.00 a roll enough to do 10 unites.....geofkaye
Old 06-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #9

I have the hardware cloth mounted about an inch in front of the fins. They do not touch each other. The hardware cloth mounts to the inside lip of the plastic shrowd of the AC
Old 06-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I got them straightened out. They were so bent I had to use my pocket knife down each row. It took about 2 hours thank goodness it still works. Now I can look for a fin comb to finsh the job.

Bill