Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

A/C shroud replacement

Good evening everyone!

We have a problem with our a/c shroud. It got whacked pretty good by a tree in our driveway and broke the side of it. How hard is it to replace it? We did it 3 years ago-haven't camped since. It's been covered since with a tarp to keep out weather. We are getting it ready to head out to Myrtle Beach this summer. So we've got time til August to do all the things that need to be done. Also, where is a good place to order a replacement?

Thanks!
Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Nell,

I see you got logged on, try PPL Motorhomes.

I broke one once but fortunately all the pieces were still intact and my damage was limited to an area about 6" in diameter on the top front corner. I bought a fiberglass repair kit for about $10 and patched it from the inside pressing all the cracked joints together. Standing on the ground and looking at it you can't tell it was ever broken.

If you get up on the roof and look closely you can tell. But what the heck, it's better than plunking down a couple C notes for a new shroud.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks Hitchhiker!

I'll have to see it for sure when the cover comes off tomorrow. If I remember right-it's all those little vents that are now one big hole. I have a feeling it's going to be the shroud to replace. Hubby says it's not a big deal-could leave it he says. I don't want it to look like junk when we go camping. Thanks for the idea, we'll see tomorrow if it can be done.

Nell

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #4

Hello!

I had my a/c shroud break last year on my Coleman roof unit. I Googl'ed a search and ordered a new replacement MaxxAir shroud that fit my Coleman unit perfectly. It was a simple fix, I simply crawled on top of the camper and took the screws loose, popped the old broken one off and placed the new one on, replaced the screws and traveled to Lakewood CG in Myrtle Beach the next day with no worries of the shroud flying into 27 pieces.

I wouldn't recommend trying to repair the old shroud at all. This replacement shroud is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix and the MaxxAir shroud seems to be a tougher quality piece than the original Coleman shroud that came off the unit.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #5

If a used shroud is acceptable, try these lists of RV salvage yards and surplus centers: http://www.timberman.com/salvage.htm
and: http://www.rverscorner.com/info/rvsalvage.html
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #6

Thanks to eveyone!

We are going to see if we can find a used replacement-that would be the best since the camper is after all 10 years old now. And if we can ever see the sun again in NY, maybe the hubby can get it fixed. I never thought about getting a used one-didn't know there was such a thing as RV salvage.

Now we have to figure out where there's a leak too-can smell the mildew smell once again. Replaced a small section of floor a few years ago, so there's another place to find. It's never ending isn't it? If hubby and I can find jobs again, maybe we'll get to upgrade to a newer camper. At least he's a HVAC-R guy-he can keep that end running!

Nell

Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The shroud on my Coleman Mach III cracked near one of the front bolts a number of years ago. I superglued it and it held for about 2 or 3 years before it let go. So last year, I purchased a MaxxAir replacement shroud from RV Upgrades. It took about 15 minutes to replace. The new shroud isn't completely open where the condensor fins like are like the original Coleman; thus protecting the condensor fins against damage. However, I installed a Fin Gard on the original shroud to protect it.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #8

This AM I just finished repairing my A/C Shroud. First time ever working with fiberglass kit.

Walmart about $14 FG cloth and resin.

Intent was not to make it look new, but to keep it on the roof!

Figure I saved at least $250 and will be good for a while. Will have to work on the other one at some point, but it is not near a bad a shape.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=11624

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=11625

Hope link to photos work

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
This AM I just finished repairing my A/C Shroud. First time ever working with fiberglass kit.

Walmart about $14 FG cloth and resin.

Intent was not to make it look new, but to keep it on the roof!

Figure I saved at least $250 and will be good for a while. Will have to work on the other one at some point, but it is not near a bad a shape.

Harold
Unfortunately ours is a much larger repair. It's not the top of the shroud-it's the entire side where all those little vents are. Too hard to fix all of them. It's got to stop raining here long enough to get to it, otherwise it's going to be a ark instead of a camper.

Nell