Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

A new journey is about to begin.

Well, I sold my Lance camper this week. I have had 3 over the last 14 years.I have been across country and Northwest twice. I know about the lifestyle, and I love it.
Now it is time for a 5th wheel. I only wish the economy did not take it's toll on my reserves. I have been looking @ used 5th wheels for months. I want to pay cash so a new one is not an option. I'm looking for a quality used one. I found out I may have weight restrictions. I'm trying to stay @ 9500-10,600 dry weigth. I have a 2005 Ford srw F350 6.0 Diesel Crewcab longbed 4X4. I want an all season, full time living unit. I have looked at Carraige, Alumascape, DRV, Montana, Excel, Landmark, Sunnybrook, Bighorn, and Dutchmen. 30-34 foot .
Any "advice" or comments regarding my plan would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the group!
We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH a few months ago. We loved it! In fact, we decided to keep the 5th wheel a while to be sure we would be happy with the MH. It is now up for sale. Sure wish you were closer to us, although this one is a little larger than you mentioned. It is a 2002 Cedar Creek Custom 36RLTS, which is a 36'. I don't remember what the dry weight is, but we weighed it one time coming home from a trip and it weighed 12,810 lbs.
Anyway, good luck on finding the right rig for your needs! Happy trails and may God bless & keep you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I have moved your thread to the 5th Wheel section in hopes that you will get more "visibility" and responses from current 5er owners! Good luck and I hope you find a beauty.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

We are doing well with a 2005 F250 and the Big Country 3500RL. We are maxed but pulling the BC is remarquebly easy. I would never have less then 7k axles and G rated tires for full timing.
I can bet our unit is easier on the truck then the camper
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ma View Post
Well, I sold my Lance camper this week. I have had 3 over the last 14 years.I have been across country and Northwest twice. I know about the lifestyle, and I love it.
Now it is time for a 5th wheel. I only wish the economy did not take it's toll on my reserves. I have been looking @ used 5th wheels for months. I want to pay cash so a new one is not an option. I'm looking for a quality used one. I found out I may have weight restrictions. I'm trying to stay @ 9500-10,600 dry weigth. I have a 2005 Ford srw F350 6.0 Diesel Crewcab longbed 4X4. I want an all season, full time living unit. I have looked at Carraige, Alumascape, DRV, Montana, Excel, Landmark, Sunnybrook, Bighorn, and Dutchmen. 30-34 foot .
Any "advice" or comments regarding my plan would be appreciated.
Thank you.
You can fulltime in any of the units you listed or even the Lance you had! The all-season 5'ver should have dual pane windows and the best would be DRV from your list because the wall width which allows more insulation.

Someone mentioned a used Cedar Creek thats another good unit, not a DRV more like the Montana and Bighorn.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #6

The dual pane windowsare hard to find. They are not common in the mid range units. I had a "salesman" tell that dual panes are not good to have when traveling in multiple elevations. The rubber gets sucked into the frame, True or not???
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #7

Its just excuses for keeping the price low and compatitive. And they do not stock them. I heard all kinds of excuses. Mine look to be much better quality then single glass units. They are not available in flush design so not very popular with high end units. Real full timing trailers to me have to be affordable and be able to serve for many years with basic repairs.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
The dual pane windowsare hard to find. They are not common in the mid range units. I had a "salesman" tell that dual panes are not good to have when traveling in multiple elevations. The rubber gets sucked into the frame, True or not???
They are not as common is true, but worth having especially if staying in extremely cold or hot climates, if you are chasing spring (winter south and summer north) it's not as important. I don't believe the words coming from any salesman, I'll bet he had I nice unit right there!

The DRV I mentioned is not a mid-level unit, it's at the high end. You may have to spend some time learning about different 5'vers. We spent years accumulating info. Drove to distant areas to see fifth wheels that were not at local dealers. Looked at high end units to learn what was that standard and tried to replicate those standards in a mid to upper-mid level trailer, knowing we could not afford those high end units.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #9

Also check out Nu-Wa. They make quality units that would be within your weight parameters. Seems it is still a buyers market if looking for a used 5th wheel. Good Luck
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #10

Any opinions on Alumascapes? I have looked @ Nuwa 5th wheels. I would like a washer and dryer and have not found one that has that in my weight and length parameters.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
That HAS to be the most imaginative statement I have ever heard regarding dual panes! This salesman must have spent hours working on that little story line. LOL

bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey