Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

AC issues

Hello everyone,

I'm running into ac issues with the circuit breaker popping. It seems to have started doing this during the day. Mind you its been over 100 already and it continues to climb. At nights the ac runs fine but during the afternoon it seems to do it continuously once its been turned on for 30 min or so. I noticed that the roof ac is running a bit hot up on the roof and am wondering if its to hot outside and it is having to work extra hard. I've read in some places that the condenser fan uses oil. Would that have anything to do with it. Noticed it was a bit stiff last time i removed the shroud and cleaned up the condenser.

I'm trying to service this unit as best as i can before I call in someone. Its a 2002 unit coleman mach if that helps for a 38 ft. fifth wheel if that info helps. I'll try to get more tomorrow afternoon if you all need more info. Thanks.

RS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Do you have a voltage monitor or surge guard on your RV.

The reason I ask is your problem may be the result of low park power.
If there are a number of RVs around you, all using the parks power to the max , low voltage may result and the air conditioner will trip a C/B if laboring on low power. Ask any neighbors you have if they are having similar issues. If so ask the park to check power level at the post.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

I was in Fl. last year and my AC started tripping breakers during the day.

We put a amp meter on it and watched it climb to 20 amps.

I took the cover off the roof top part and used a garden hose to wash out the coils.

Amps went down to 15 and It was fine after that.

It didn't look dirty but it was.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #4

Both posts above are valid.

Low voltage or faulty connections can cause increased amperage. I've seen some pretty burnt up looking shore power plugs (blades and sockets), and park pedestal components.
After they "pop" a number of time those spec. grade breakers can get weak.

Dirty condenser coils cause increased compressor head pressure, increased amperage.

Most newer (15 yrs.) fan motors have sealed bearings unlike the older models that had small felt pad oil ports on the shaft ends. A little shot of quality penetrating lube on the shaft can often free up a binding motor, temporally. Wipe off excess. Sorry not a WD40 user though.

Beast of luck.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I was in Fl. last year and my AC started tripping breakers during the day.

We put a amp meter on it and watched it climb to 20 amps.

I took the cover off the roof top part and used a garden hose to wash out the coils.

Amps went down to 15 and It was fine after that.

It didn't look dirty but it was.
Had the same problem on the motorhome we used to have - dirty condenser coils up on the roof. It makes the compressor work too hard, especially during the day when it's real hot. When the compressor is working too hard, it's drawing too much power causing the breaker to trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AR Repair_0005.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	130291
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

great picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Had the same problem on the motorhome we used to have - dirty condenser coils up on the roof. It makes the compressor work too hard, especially during the day when it's real hot. When the compressor is working too hard, it's drawing too much power causing the breaker to trip.

Attachment 130291
Great picture showing the typical matting that forms out of sight on the fan (inlet) side of the condenser coil with the shroud removed. The outer surface that you may observe might be bright and shiny. Be careful with those fins.

Happy trails.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #7

Yea I removed the shroud for ours and it seems to look fine. Cleaned up the condenser and it seems to be good now. I'm having a friend who was an ac tech be kind to help me out and see what's going on so I'll report my findings when he comes around. Thanks for your help. Anyone know of where to look to just keep up with maintenance of these units in a hot place like port Isabel TX?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

Issues found

So turns out the breaker for my living room ac issue was tripping because the capacitor was all shot. Surprised it ran during the night never tripping but its been replaced and now the ac is running relatively good for during the day. Which is great cause its about 98 outside.

As for my bedroom ac issue was apparently the control board being fried. Seems the corner of it is a bit messed up so maybe replacing the control board is what is needed. I removed the ceiling assembly and have been looking for the replacement board but i can't find the part itself. The part number I need is 8330-633 but all I'm finding is 8330-752. Does anyone know if this is a revision or if i need to find the exact part number. Thanks guys.