RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Access holes cut in underbelly?

So long story short. There was a bunch of things wrong with the brand new 5er we bought. Took it in to get it fixed. It has an inclosed underbelly. They cut access holes and patched them. Is this expectable for a new trailer. Thanks. Any input would be helpful

Snowgo-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The sad answer is YES. Anything is possible to be a problem on any new RV. If something went wrong on your new 5er and you took it to the dealer and they actually fixed it under warranty... properly... in a reasonable time then THAT is the unexpected thing that has happened.

PS. It’s always best to add more pertinate info to your subject line than “Please Help.”

Old 01-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgo-AK View Post
So long story short. There was a bunch of things wrong with the brand new 5er we bought. Took it in to get it fixed. It has an inclosed underbelly. They cut access holes and patched them. Is this expectable for a new trailer. Thanks. Any input would be helpful
Finding a bunch of things wrong has not been my experiance. As for cutting and patching the holes, that happens to be the only way to access some of the plumbing.

Get it repaired and enjoy your trips.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

It was leaking from the sink drain. They forgot to glue a fitting. No heat in bedroom. There was a crushed pipe. Now we have a bunch of patch holes in the underbelly
Snowgo-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgo-AK View Post
It was leaking from the sink drain. They forgot to glue a fitting. No heat in bedroom. There was a crushed pipe. Now we have a bunch of patch holes in the underbelly
The real question is: did they fix the leak and crushed pipe in a timely manner?
Cutting and patching the underbody covering is standard practice to get access.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

It would not be acceptable to me. You most likely have coroplast under your trailer. It is usually attached with self tapping screws, although some newer trailers are using pneumatic nailers. Even if they used the nailers it is still easy to remove. They just took the easy, cheap, and fast way out. Would you be ok with them doing the same on your roof?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

Roof is a whole different animal.....every dealer will access thru the coroplast.....proper way to cut in is a 3 sided door, with the hinge being toward the front......
Old 01-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

While much more exposed, the roof is not so different. Lots of water spray hitting the coroplast when the roads are wet. When the tape quits sticking how long will it be before you notice it? How many rodents will use it for a door to their new house? Not every dealer will cut the coroplast, just the crappy ones, of which there are many!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

You will now need to check it every 6 months or more to make sure the tape is still holding on the patches.

The same kinda thing happened to me. Was I happy, NO. Was there anything I could do about it...Yes. I couid check it 6 months or so to make sure the tape was still holding on the patches.

That tape will come off, especially if towing it. I tried gorilla duct tape. It worked for a year then new gorilla duct tape.

Anyone know the very best tape to use?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You will now need to check it every 6 months or more to make sure the tape is still holding on the patches.

The same kinda thing happened to me. Was I happy, NO. Was there anything I could do about it...Yes. I couid check it 6 months or so to make sure the tape was still holding on the patches.

That tape will come off, especially if towing it. I tried gorilla duct tape. It worked for a year then new gorilla duct tape.

I used woven finerglass material cut to cover the whole or cut and spray adhesive. Bought it as a kit on the internet.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1547943099719
wkbhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I had to cut mine to repair a black tank dump valve. To repair I use some thin wood door shimes and use 3\4 in screws. Screw the 3 sided cut to the wood shim as a backer. Just like you would a smmall sheet rock repair. Then I wiped the plastic edges with alchol and then used gorilla tape. That was 3 years and about 8000 miles ago.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #12

Owners,Dealers, Mobile RV Repairmen have been doing that since trailers started having enclosed underbellies.

Before that ALL trailers were wide open exposed to elements, road hazards and rodents....many still are.

Not all underbellies are installed using self tapping screws. Some are 'power shot' nails using a RAMSET

IF really worried......use eternabond tape to seal the cut underbelly
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #13

Locate the cross beams, wood or metal, get self-drilling screws with fender washers to hold everything in place. Good tape also.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #14

our mobile rv guy told us how they do it. the cut a section out. then they take some flat roof flashing and use self tapping screws to screw it in around the opening so that it overhangs into the opening. then they take the piece they cut out and put it back into place and use self tapping screws into the overhanging flashing. then tape over the screws and seams.

i found some tape on the internet called 'underbelly tape'. it is not cheap. it is thinner than gorilla tape but has some pretty good glue on it. they tell you to clean the surface of the coroplast where it is going to be taped with isopropal alcohol. i have had some of for three years now and its still there.

bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote