Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #1

I need to add a small generator, 2000 watts, to my 5th wheel. Is there anywhere I can get info on where to add it and how to do it. Where do I connect to the power system? I just need it to run the air conditioner. How much power does it take to run the Air?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #2

I need to add a small generator, 2000 watts, to my 5th wheel. Is there anywhere I can get info on where to add it and how to do it. Where do I connect to the power system? I just need it to run the air conditioner. How much power does it take to run the Air?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #3

What kind of 5th wheel do you have and does it have a generator compartment? If it was equipped with a generator compartment, many are pre-wired with a junction box that the generator gets wired to, and a socket to plug the trailer's power cord into...

Personally, I run a portable Honda EU2000. It's pretty quiet, and it will run my AC without the voltage dropping if everything (including the converter) is off, but it really puts a heavy load on the small generator. I mainly use it for battery charging and watching movies when the weather turns bad. If I were going to run the AC off the generator on a regular basis, I'd have more generator.

Honda makes a kit to hook two EU2000's together for 3500, or they make an EU3000 which is very quiet but harder to carry than 2 EU2000's. Neither are intended to run in an enclosed generator compartment, though.

If you decide to go with a generator to be enclosed in an RV's generator compartment, Onan and Honda make a variety of models.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure that friendly people who know much more than I do will chime in soon.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #4

I have a 2005 29 ft Jayco 5th wheel. It has a lot of storage in the front, plenty large enough for the EU3000. Thats the one I am leaning toward. I just need to find out how to integrate it into the electrical system.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

The EU3000 would do what you want, but isn't intended to be run inside a compartment.

The only difficutly I could see is lifting the generator out to run it.

As far as hooking it up, I'd just plug in the trailer's power cord.

If you are looking for a Honda that can be run inside a ventilated generator compartment, you would probably be looking at the EV series. It could probably be set up with a socket for the power cord, or with an automatic switch over setup. If I had one installed, I'd see what professional installation costs to make sure the fuel tank, exhaust and so on are done correctly.

Honda RV Generator
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #6

I was planning on leaving it in the compartment. Ducting the exhaust gases is the most important thing along with a vent for the air intake. I will need to do some research on those things. I'll also talk to Jayco.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #7

If you are going to leave it in the compartment, I would highly recommend getting one designed for that purpose...

Onan or EV series Honda would be my choice.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jack

First let me welcome you. We hope you come back often and continue to post your experiences.

Please be very careful with your planning on this project. If you are using the front compartment that most likely is under your bedroom. I have heard of too many people dying from CO poisoning running their generators overnight.

Careful consideration needs to be taken to venting the exhaust in a way that there is absolutely no leakage until the exhaust exits the exhaust pipe. I ordered my trailer with the on board generator and the entire bottom of the cabinet is open for airflow purposes. Also, when a generator is located in a cabinet, the generator must be contained within a metal shell. I have an Onan generator which is completely encapsulated in a metal box. The 5er cabinet STILL MUST have a steel cabinet within the 5er cabinet.

Think this out carefully. Safety overrules convenience.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #9

When I had my 5th wheel, I installed a generator and transfer switch in the front compartment that was designed for it. It was a nice set up when we traded the 5th wheel off. The dealer didn't seem to care if the 5th wheel had a generator or not and probably only added about $100 to the price he allowed me on the new trailer.
Well, I learned a lesson from that. I now have 2 Honda 2000s which I plug the trailer power cord into. When and if I ever sell this trailer, the Hondas will remain with me. (I refuse to give the dealers anymore generators)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #10

Thanks. That's a good point. What about if you were staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot and woke up in the morning hot. Because someone had walked off with your 2 generators. I guess I could chain them to the 5th wheel. Thanks, I was thinking about using 2 portables.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:40 AM   #11

I really like my EU2000, and I think two of them would be easier to handle than the EU3000.

These little generators are easy to carry and easy to sell. In this day and age they absolutely, positively need to be locked down well.

I use a kryptonite cable that's 15mm thick and one of their EV disk brake locks (intended to secure motorcycles). I either lock them to the truck's hitch, or to the stake pocket.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #12

How about using a battery tray (Kwikee for example) to create a roll out drawer for a Honda portable genset. It would take some cutting & building on your RV, but could be made pretty slick. The drawer would lock in the extended position when the genny was running and easily slid back into it's compartment when done.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #13

That might work. I was thinking of leaving the front compartment door open (DURING OPERATION) for ventilation anyway. Of course, I'll have a sealed exhaust going through the floor.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #14

what abot the one that onan has for rear bumper mount? it is self contained and securable through a hitch lock