Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
I would like to add a night light in the water closet. The normal light is a little too bright and the kids can't reach it yet. I though of installing a LED clearance light in either red or amber lense. Do you think I'm on the right track here? Will a clearance light be enough? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I would like to add a night light in the water closet. The normal light is a little too bright and the kids can't reach it yet. I though of installing a LED clearance light in either red or amber lense. Do you think I'm on the right track here? Will a clearance light be enough? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave,
We use small night-lights that plug into a 120V outlet and come on automatically at dark. Have one in bathroom and one over counter in kitchen. Keep themselves charged and are available at most dollar stores, home depots, hardware stores etc. Have two, three spread around the house too.
Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #4

We use the push light deals. There not wicked bright, but enough to let you see what you are doing. They operate on AA batteries and usually last for a while because of there limited use. I have one in my under bed storage and another under the bunks where my H2O tank and H2O heater are for inspection from time to time. Another nice feature is that you could use double sided adhesive tape to stick them up just about anywhere at any height for the kids to reach and not have to worry about drilling holes or tapping into existing power supply.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #5

Yep - we use the push light, too. Keep one in each bedside table, one in the bathroom, and in the storage area under the bed. Works great!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Mike I do have the little plug in lights but there is no outlets in where the toilet is. As far as the push lights they are great but I would like use the house batteries and not have to buy batteries. This light would be on all night. LED seamed to be the best for my application. I guess I'll buy one to see how bright it is. Thanks to all.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
SafeDave
those LED's are a good idea,
but you can also find 12V lights:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...eptNum=82&storeNum=9
and run wires from the house batteries. The above fixtures are the ones that 56Nomad on this site used.
I also have a box of 12V low wattage spot lights that I had left over from a remodel. Unfortunately (or not for some preferences) my 12V lights were made for a Halo track lighting system and each of the lights comes with a 110-to-12V converter on it, thereby requiring 110 to run my 12's.

So i am putting in a small 110 track light system. But those stand alone 12V are cheap and easy.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We replaced our water closet light bulb with a 4watt blue bulb. Just enough light for those late night trips. Can be found with the low voltage lighting at HD or Lowes.
L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a idea for you that had been installed on a trailer we took in on trade.....

In the bathroom right beside the existing light they had installed a single LED. They had drilled a small hole that the led fit in snugly. They powered the LED off of the power to the light fixture. This power was switched by a switch over the sink. At night they would turn off the light AT the fixture and leave the switch on that was by the sink.

This way there was a "Soft light" that drew little power. (Not run the batterys down when not on commercial power) Then if they wanted more light, just reach up and turn on the larger light at the fixture.....

I thought it was a very neat idea with a neat installation.

You can get LED's from many places. Like Mike posted, West Marine or even your around the corner Radio Shack.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #10

....watch the holegen lites they get very hot!...geofkaye
Old 07-14-2005, 09:20 PM   #11

....Or get a number of the new led flash lites.nite lites with the 12 vt chargers....neat!@.....8.00 each...mount anywhere with glue or a nail/screw.....can use as a flashlite if power is off or need more lite...geofkaye
Old 07-15-2005, 03:55 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Don, that is exactly what I am talking about. What is the color of the LED and is the one enough? The LED flashlights are a great idea too. Thanks to all.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
On our new Wildcat, there is track lighting along the kick panel for the kitchen cabinets. They run off of 12v, and are bright enough to be able to see where you are going, but not too bright that they can be left on at night. I have considered putting some in the bathroom as well for the same reasons. I'll have to call the dealership to find where I can get them.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:28 AM   #14

Just a little idea for You I bought 2 Led strip lights at Cabela's white I think 7 Led's.I also bought a switch at Radio Shack installed the strip on the out side of the house light and also the new off-on looks factory works well but just for boon docking as the converter will fry leds to mutch power for them.The wall switch is know used to turn on and off.The switch I added just trades the LEDs and regular bulbs.The strips are sold for boating and are just ideal for night use and no batt.drain.I will e-a photo if You like.John