Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
"The Vehicle Manufacturer Determines The Correct Tire Pressure (s) For The Tires On Your Vehicle." (NHTSA)

FastEagle
And on motorized RV's it's only correct for the rig loaded to it's maximum weight. If not, then use the tire manufacturers weight/pressure charts.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And on motorized RV's it's only correct for the rig loaded to it's maximum weight. If not, then use the tire manufacturers weight/pressure charts.
Here in this reference you will see how the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressures sets the standard.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That pdf is from a tire OEM.. and it says to weigh your coach just as everybody is saying..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
That pdf is from a tire OEM.. and it says to weigh your coach just as everybody is saying..
That's true....and they are using the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressures as the minimum amount to be used.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I see that line... and it contradicts everything else. If the OEM lists the min psi (cold) for the max weight, then WHY DO YOU WORRY ABOUT WEIGHING and finding the correct pressure?

me thinks its a 'lawyer thing' thrown in..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #48

Tire pressure is confusing. My truck door label calls for 80psi on rear; 55 on front. The tires are rated on sidewalls at 80psi.

Noted rear tires aired to 80psi were wearing in centers. Rotated to front of truck and aired at 60. Now wear seems even. Carry 75 cold in rear with fiver. Drop to 70 when unburdened for better ride. Rears seem to be wearing evenly.

Carry 75 cold on trailer which are rated at 80. So under 5lbs. They warm up to 80 and above when rolling, depending on ambient temps.

Does this seem out of line being under pressure a bit ? Believe weights for trailer and truck are within limits.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Tire pressure is confusing. My truck door label calls for 80psi on rear; 55 on front. The tires are rated on sidewalls at 80psi.
My dually calls for 65 PSIG on the fronts and 60 PSIG on the rears. That's what is required to carry the rated maximum loads (GAWRs) specified by the manufacturer. If you aren't running overloaded, the manufacturer's recommended pressures are adequate - any more and you're just beating yourself up with a rougher ride as well as the center tread wear you noted.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post

Noted rear tires aired to 80psi were wearing in centers. Rotated to front of truck and aired at 60. Now wear seems even. Carry 75 cold in rear with fiver. Drop to 70 when unburdened for better ride. Rears seem to be wearing evenly.

Carry 75 cold on trailer which are rated at 80. So under 5lbs. They warm up to 80 and above when rolling, depending on ambient temps.

Does this seem out of line being under pressure a bit ? Believe weights for trailer and truck are within limits.
Those numbers are for MAX weight.. If you are not at MAX, then you will be overinflated and have uneven wear like you have seen: center wearing first... I would submit that while you are not towing, you drop the pressures in the rear down to 50-60 psi. Shoot, I'm running 45psi empty front and rear right now. Much better ride.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Those numbers are for MAX weight.. If you are not at MAX, then you will be overinflated and have uneven wear like you have seen: center wearing first... I would submit that while you are not towing, you drop the pressures in the rear down to 50-60 psi. Shoot, I'm running 45psi empty front and rear right now. Much better ride.
I have weighed my truck both loaded and unloaded. I have the weight on left front and right and on each set of duals. I use these weights in the table to find my cold inflation PSI. I only use the 110 lb. max IF weight on that tires is at the maximum load (under normal towing it isn't but close). I use bernoulli's law with the air temp inside the tire (from my monitor) to find inflation difference due to sun's influence. I have all this in a handy chart on the air pump.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #52

Adding more air than spec'd

I carry a thermo-gun with me and when we stop for whatever I "shoot" the tires for temp. on the truck and trailer.Heat is the biggest single tire killer and will blow your tire if left unattended.Who is to say that your guage is so accurate that it is to be trusted as the benchmark to go by.If my tires are suspect of heating or wearing on edge then you are underinflated regardless of what the guage may say. To me the manu. stamp is a guide and if it needs more it gets more. I have 8 wheeled vehicles plus 3 trailers(including fifth) and I have never had a blowout because of so called "overinflation". Don't go overboard and use the common sense factor.

Tags
heartland