Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Addition

Well I thought I posted this question but then can't find it. So here I go again.

I'd like to know if you can add depth to an existing slide? Our bedroom slide is about a foot in depth. We have little floor space and and really not enough around the bed space. I know it would be more difficult putting a longer slide but what about a slide deeper by about a foot? We have Hydraulic slides that move the kitchen dining and bedroom. Does anyone know if this is possible? It would at least give us more floor space at the end of the bed
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #2

That sounds like a tough change, altho with enough money, it probably can be done.
What type of trailer do you have with 3 slides but such a shallow bedroom slide?
If you are anywhere near Lagrange, IN--CrossRV can tackle such a job, or tell you if it isn't possible.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

With enough money, I guess it would be possible. It would require a complete new slide and extending mechanism, plus the problem of where it would go when retracted. It could be done and would probably cost less than a different RV with a floorplan you liked.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Addition

When the current slide is closed, does it come close to or touch the bed? If the slide is deeper, it will come in farther and the bed may be too long for the slide to fit.
A shorter bed?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When the current slide is closed, does it come close to or touch the bed? If the slide is deeper, it will come in farther and the bed may be too long for the slide to fit.
A shorter bed?

Oh that's right. The bed comes up to the dresser now. UGH We have a 2016 FR Cardinal. We have a king sized bed. But even a queen would be as long. I sure couldn't afford to remove the dresser we need the storage there. You are right hubby and I forgot that part LOL Well there goes that idea for more room
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

That is still not an idea-killer---our DRV has a dresser that pushes backward when the bed comes in, giving room for the king bed (RV king-80" deep) to fit in. If you continue to want to try this addition, take a look at a DRV that does not have the small slide on the door side to see how it works.
However, perhaps this is an omen telling you to consider changing to a fiver that has the larger slide...
Joe
Old 06-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
IC2

You dont say which model Cardinal you have, but some of these 5ers have an easily moved chest of drawers. For instance, our 2014 Montana 343RL High Country has one on the wall opposite the foot of the bed with 14-16 inches of room to walk by. I had to pull it out this spring to fix a leg that Keystone 'forgot' to use enough fasteners to attach it to the main carcass. In about 5 minutes and 8-10 screws later, it was free to be removed for repair. I asked my DW if she wanted it anywhere else but she said just put it back as it is nicely centered under a window.

Adding depth to a slide would be a major undertaking and would probably entail underside reinforcement, new hydraulic rams and a bunch of added weight in addition to a full rebuild or replacement of the slide. The real alternative is a $$$ consult with your dealer for a different and better for you, 5er.

As far as a usual king vs a queen mattress, they are both the same length with the king being wider by several inches.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

Just bought this one in April. I'll have to learn to live with it. Cardinal 3825 FL
Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
Just bought this one in April. I'll have to learn to live with it. Cardinal 3825 FL
That one - I would more then learn to live with it with that front living room.

The floor plan seems to show enough room. Is your BR slide going all the way out?
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

Looked at the gallery of interior pics--does seem to be very little space at the foot of the bed to move around.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
Oh that's right. The bed comes up to the dresser now. UGH We have a 2016 FR Cardinal. We have a king sized bed. But even a queen would be as long. I sure couldn't afford to remove the dresser we need the storage there. You are right hubby and I forgot that part LOL Well there goes that idea for more room
What you are describing will not cause the bed to slide any further in than now. If you can find someone to do the job it will just "encapsulate" more of the head end of the bed and slide out more. Not bring the bed further in.

Picture your bed now. The same size bed in a deeper slide will still be in the same place when stowed. the fixed wall will not move. Be careful what you hear on the ol internet
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #12

I still have the other side to put a slide on or even the back end. But I'm sure it's quite expensive.