Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Adjustible king bed

Does anybody know or where I can get a adjustable bed for my king bed in my fiver so I can adjust the head and legs to different elavations
Rcnewell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, but it's a major project.

1. Get rid of the bedframe you have now. Rip it all out, clean down to the floor.

2. Buy two 36"x80" adjustable bed frames or "hospital" bed frames. Some retailers sell what they call a "split king" size, but it's simply two 36"x80" bedframes side by side. Mount them side by side where your old king-size bed frame used to be. Do a good job of securing the adjustable bed frames to the floor of the trailer.

3. Buy two hospital bed mattresses and put them on the adjustable bed frames. Or if your old king-size mattress was flexible enough, then use it instead of buying new mattresses. If you use a king-size mattress, realize that both bed frames must be adjusted about the same, or the single king-size mattress is probably not going to like you.

Here's one source for the "Split King" adjustable bed frames:
Adjustable Hospital Beds For Sale

Note those bed frames result in a 72" wide x 80" long bed. That's called an "Eastern King" size bed, not a California King.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
2. Buy two 36"x80" adjustable bed frames or "hospital" bed frames. Some retailers sell what they call a "split king" size, but it's simply two 36"x80" bedframes side by side.
CRS kicked in, so there are errors in the above. Should be two 38"x80" bed frames resulting in a 76"x80" standard or "Eastern" split-king size bed. California or "Western" king size is 72"x84", so that would be two 36x84 bed frames.

Anyway, measure the old bed and buy something that will fit into the same space.

Also, remove the casters from the bed frames before you tie them down to the floor.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Our 5th wheel (see signature) came with an adjustable king-size bed - the head end of the bed elevates, but not the legs. I don't know who makes the mechanism - if I remember, I'll check it out the next time I'm at the RV.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Our 5th wheel (see signature) came with an adjustable king-size bed - the head end of the bed elevates, but not the legs. I don't know who makes the mechanism - if I remember, I'll check it out the next time I'm at the RV.

Rusty
Thanks rusty !!! I would really like to know .i have acid reflux and the elevated bed I have at home works great (ergo temper pedic bed) adjustible bed.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

CRS kicked in, so there are errors in the above. Should be two 38"x80" bed frames resulting in a 76"x80" standard or "Eastern" split-king size bed. California or "Western" king size is 72"x84", so that would be two 36x84 bed frames.

Anyway, measure the old bed and buy something that will fit into the same space.

Also, remove the casters from the bed frames before you tie them down to the floor.
Thanks I will check on this .acid reflux is a pain .elevated is nice .i have one at home works great
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Would wedging some pillows under the head of the bed work or do u need like a 45 degree tilt ?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Darling Wife has to have her bed slanted with the head of the bed about 5 or 6 inches higher than the foot. So I built a wood bedframe using 2x6 lumber. I ripped the side boards so they were 5.5" at the head and zero at the foot. Then put a 2x6 headboard flush with the top of the sideboards. At the foot end of the frame with zero elevation, I had to move towards the headboard a few inches until a 2x6 brace board laying flat on the floor would fit without sticking up above the sideboards. Then added a coupla more side-to-side brace boards and the frame was done. Works great, but not adjustable.

I've been sleeping on that slopeing bed frame for years, and don't even notice it slanting down towards the foot of the bed. But it's only 5.5" elevation at the head, and it's not adjustable.

Ours is a queen-size, but you could do the same thing for two 38" wide twins. If you need more slope, then use 2x8 or 2x10 or even 2x12 lumber for the side and headboards. If you want to use a mattress without the box springs, such as in an RV, then attach the brace boards flush with the top of the frame, and cover with thin plywood.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcnewell11 View Post
Thanks I will check on this .acid reflux is a pain .elevated is nice .i have one at home works great
Then instead of hospital or similar adjustable bed frames, buy another bed frame just like the one you have at home and install it in the RV. If it's sold buy Tempur-Pedic, I sure you can buy the bedframe without having to buy another Tempur-Pedic bed.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

My temper pedic bed is 78 inchs wide and they don't make narrow unless u go queen so I will your guys ideas on maybe hospital beds or build me one with wood.thanks