RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Adjusting Brake Controller

I think I know what I am doing regarding this, but with a 12,000 trailer, I'd like to be sure. On my boat & utility trailer I usually let the truck roll at an idle & adjust the brake voltage until I get a good tug. Is this how I should be doing my 38' 5th wheel? I would think you would want them to be doing their part to assist the truck, but not too much to where they are getting really hot & warping the drums. Got a big trip this weekend & some of it is through the mountains so I want to make sure I have this thing dialed in good.

PulNSerenity is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Each brand controller has it's own procedure for settings adjustment, follow the instructions for your particular brand and model.
For instance, here is the the instruction sheet for a Tekonsha Primus brake controller.

Years ago I remember(yes, I'm old) the general method of adjustment was; drive to a gravel road, adjust controller to where the tires began to slide in the gravel, then back off just enough so the trailer tires continued to roll when using truck brake pedal; yet full manual trailer braking would lock up trailer brakes.
FWIW, trailer brakes are much cheaper than truck brakes to replace.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

I pull 4 different trailers every now and then. My son's camper trailer, my 18' utility trailer, my 18' open deck car trailer and my 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer. I pull these trailers with either my 1/2 T. pick up or my 1/2 T. Suburban. Needless to say each combination needs a different setting on the vehicle's brake controller. Among other things it matters how the trailers are loaded or if they are empty.
After hooking the trailer up I take it down the road and apply the vehicle brakes like I was making a normal stop. I will adjust the gain on the controller until the braking of my tow vehicle feels like it normally does with no trailer in tow then I will add a small amount of gain on the controller.
I don't want to feel as if the trailer brakes are yanking my tow vehicle to a stop nor do I want to feel the trailer is pushing the tow vehicle when coming to a stop.
Lynn
Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Thanks all!
Letmgrow, I completely understand the load amount makes a difference. If I left the brake setting the same on my utility trailer empty as when it was loaded I would be locking them up at every stop. I have never pulled anything this heavy with this pickup so it is a little difficult for me to get a feel for where they need to be set.
Ray,In, I am using the factory brake controller on my Ram 2500.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Thanks all!
Letmgrow, I completely understand the load amount makes a difference. If I left the brake setting the same on my utility trailer empty as when it was loaded I would be locking them up at every stop. I have never pulled anything this heavy with this pickup so it is a little difficult for me to get a feel for where they need to be set.
Ray,In, I am using the factory brake controller on my Ram 2500.
There is no definitive answer. Every different vehicle and controller will apply the brakes on the trailer at a different rate. You will just have to experiment as you travel to get that comfortable braking feel.
Lynn
Old 08-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

Here is good overall infomation about electric brakes, brake controllers and synchronizing vehicle/trailer brakes
http://trailerparts.com/pdfs/Dexter122.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Here is good overall infomation about electric brakes, brake controllers and synchronizing vehicle/trailer brakes
http://trailerparts.com/pdfs/Dexter122.pdf
Very nice article! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

When driving in the mountains - Specifically when coming down do you adjust the brake controller?... What is your technique?
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
When driving in the mountains - Specifically when coming down do you adjust the brake controller?... What is your technique?
I wouldn't think you would want to change settings just for the mountains. I try to make the engine do a lot of speed control coming down off a mountain. When I was driving semi, I seen way too many drivers use their brakes too much! First you start to smell them, then you start seeing smoke, & a couple of times I have actually seen the tires catch on fire!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
I DO NOT. Once I have my controller set I don't adjust it again until I hook up to a different trailer. I want the brakes to feel equal between the truck and trailer. Adding braking power to trailer brakes will greatly reduce the overall braking as the trailer brakes are doing more work and when they do they will become overheated and become less effective.
Adjusting your travel speed and downshifting to a lower gear will be more effective keeping your rig under control and will save on brake wear.
Above all, never, never ride the brake when going downhill. Gently pump the brake pedal if you need braking power.
Lynn

Tags
brake