Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Advice for newbie

Looking for first fifth wheel--actually, first RV. Limiting choice to 3/4 ton towable (daily vehicle and do not want anything more). My wife and I will use it full time for a year or two to see the country, then on and off for half of the year thereafter--at least, that is the plan. Priorities are:
1) as trouble free as possible (routine maintenance is expected).
2) well insulated/heated/air conditioned--we will not be camping, but using the rv as our rolling hotel room--think really bad allergies, so windows closed. We will follow the seasons.
3) washer/dryer.
4) max hitch weight about 2,100 lbs--this is probably the limiting factor with our truck.
5) due to 6.5' truck bed, we plan on using a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch, if that matters.

Our options are:
a) SpaceCraft custom.
b) Arctic Fox 29-5T.
c) Used NuWa Hitchhiker II LS or Discover America--I think all Champagnes are too heavy?
d) Used Cameo.
e) Used Triple-E Topaz.

I think that Continental Coach would be too heavy. I know New Horizons is too heavy. We are looking roughly 30-34 feet, depending on weight.

Any preferences regarding these? Thanks all.

mrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
We bought a Crusader 295RST which is only 9,000+ dry. No room for washer and dryer but Crusader have larger floor plans with washer/dryer hookup.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Crusader 295RST
Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7

djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
You forgot the smaller Excel Winslow 5ers. It will be difficult to find a washer/dryer in the smaller 5th wheels. Maybe look at the shorter 'Columbus' 5th wheels. They may have washer/dryer in the front. But yikes...that is more weight on the pin.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Forgot to mention. If you have the $$$ for the SpaceCraft, New Horizons, or Continental which typically are in nose bleed price ranges for most RV type people. I would recommend a custom rig. That way you can have it built specifically the way you need it.

If you custom build you can have the best insulation, best heating and cooling, best air filtration, best water filtration.

If they will listen to you to build a rock solid 27' very high quality 10,000lb 5er that is what I would do. Of the custom built rigs Space Craft I know can use an interior allergy resistant shell that is nice looking and easy to clean.

Now...you do know that the custom builders typically build rigs that need a F-650, Freightliner Sport Chassis type truck to tow it. Space Craft will build a 53' 5th wheel that needs a full Semi-Truck (HDT) to tow it. That the F-650 is too small.

Good Luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Thanks all.
mrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
x2 on the Crusader. We just picked ours up a few weeks back and absolutely love it. Mine is a 370 BHQ which is heavier than what you are looking at but its also 40' long so in the shorter models you should find what you need. And this is all set up for washer/dryer we just didnt get one as we are not full timers and saw no need to spend the money so we just use that extra spot as more closet space. IMO you get a TON of bang for your buck with crusader (prime time manufacturing)

millhouse961 is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, newbie