Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkoz View Post
Stevewatr, If you are still in the market you may want to look at a Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB.
Thanks. We looked at that breifly, but it was in the same category for us as the Sierra 365SAQ, we loved it, but just could not make the $$$'s work.
Many of the ones we dropped were very nice fivers, but we needed to get the best deal/quality south of $30K.

We think we found it! We are days away from inking a deal on a factory fresh, still to be built Sierra 32QBBS.

Here are a few reasons why we went with this one:

They make this same model as a Sandpiper 32QBBS, buy the Sierra dealer told us the Sierra line has slightly better interior fabrics, etc. I thought that sounded like a Sierra Sales pitch, but then he told me the same models compared in NADA shows the Sierra with a higher book value, I checked, he was right!

Height, of all the models on my short list, it was the only one that was a high profile. At 6'1", I really like the added headroom, and larger pass through storage.

Construction, It has a full aluminum cage, and for as big as it is, it's fairly light. It also has slam latch doors on the baggage compartment, that may seem trivial, but I always hated those little twist locks. They still use that type on the less used compartments, but that's okay.

Layout, we wanted a rear bedroom, front quad bunkhouse, with a U shaped dinette for the 5 of us to sit at, and we got it. Along with a porcelin toilet, and other goodies.

Price, after numerous calls to dealers in the country, we landed our best deal, at just over $27K, I think we did well...........thank goodness for a sluggish economy!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #16

New 5th Wheel Buyer Help

Hi to everyone,
I previously had a Jayco Super-C and sold it. Now planning to go semi-full time and am planning to buy a 5th Wheel (new or <3 yrs old) AND a New Truck and hit the road. The 5th Wheel's I am most interested in so far are the Coachmen Brookstone 367RL or the Bighorn 3670RL/Landmark. Both are the configuration I love and less that $50K.
2 Questions:
1) Any comments (good or bad) on either would be appreciated
2) Buying new 1-Ton 8' Bed 4WD Crew Cab Truck (Probably Ford but maybe Chev)...Very confused regarding SRW vs Duelly. 5er Weightspecs ~11,500 Dry/15500 Total.

Thanks for your comments/recommendations.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontheRVDude View Post
Hi to everyone,
I previously had a Jayco Super-C and sold it. Now planning to go semi-full time and am planning to buy a 5th Wheel (new or <3 yrs old) AND a New Truck and hit the road. The 5th Wheel's I am most interested in so far are the Coachmen Brookstone 367RL or the Bighorn 3670RL/Landmark. Both are the configuration I love and less that $50K.
2 Questions:
1) Any comments (good or bad) on either would be appreciated
2) Buying new 1-Ton 8' Bed 4WD Crew Cab Truck (Probably Ford but maybe Chev)...Very confused regarding SRW vs Duelly. 5er Weightspecs ~11,500 Dry/15500 Total.

Thanks for your comments/recommendations.
Personally, I would not want SRW if I was towing anything over 10K GVW, I know plenty of guys do it, and will tell you it's fine, but IMO, DRW's are the way to go........BUT, the bad part of that is the rest of the time you are driving around without a tow on. DRW's are harder to find parking spaces for at the grocery store, etc. , and tires will cost you more. We have a Dodge cummins DRW, it's a '97 with under 100k on it, we only use it when we need the xcab, and towing. My daily driver for work is a Dodge regular cab, 3/4 ton, SRW, but it is a diesel (I love the cummins).

On the fiver purchase, I'm picking up are new Sierra bunkhouse in Ohio in about 2 weeks, and it is our first new fiver, so I cannot comment with experience, but I did research on customer satisfaction, quality, and construction, and if the money was no object, I'd be looking at a KZ, Bighorn, or Open range. But we had a budget to work with, and some of these makers did not offer a bunkhouse floorplan we liked, thus we are getting the Forest River Sierra.

Happy Camping!

Tags
kz-rv, purchase