Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Advice please - 1 A/C or 2?

About to pull the trigger on our first 5er. Probably the Cougar 327 RES. We will spend a lot of time in Texas & the Southwest. Anybody have experience/insight as to whether we will need a front A/C unit also? We do like to sleep cool.

Thanks,
Jimmy & Tre

& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't know your rig, but I'd get 2.

It's better to have plenty of cooling available in hot weather.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

When we ordered our full time fiver we opted for the single 15K unit to save weight. It has served us well in all weather conditions.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'd go for the two. Aside from the extra cooling (you can always shut it off if you don't need it) that may be appreciated in Texas summers, you'll have the advantage of a 50 amp versus 30 amp power distribution system that offers over 3 times (2 legs x 50 amps per leg versus 1 leg at 30 amps per leg) the ampacity of the 30 amp system.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two with 50 amp service....

Ken
Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, having two units allows you to run both on low most of the time, during which time the set-point can be higher due to the increased de-humidification properties when the units are in low cool mode. This can actually lower operating costs. Good luck!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

Agree with two units and 50 Amp. I have 50 amp system and one 15K A/C which works fine so far as cooling in the SW and deep south. However due to my floor plan if I have company sleeping in the living room area then I can not regulate the air flow to the back bedroom because the stat is in the living room area.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #8

Your geographical location almost demands two, unless you have figured out how to avoid 95+ Texas summers. My opinion also assumes the Cougar you are considering is about 33'. If it was 26', I'd say no.

Our main unit is ducted,,the bedroom ac isnt. Which actually works out really well since we have a center path up to the bedroom, which allows our second ac to also effectively cool the living area when its not really hot. Cooling with the second ac also reduces the noise level in the living area for tv watching.

Secondly, if you are in really hot weather and one fails,,you will still have ac,,and that alone is worth the extra cost.

Third, getting 50 amp is also a big plus, when DW is using the hair dryer, flat iron, and you are making toast and coffee,,it does matter.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally one unit will do it if the coach is properly ducted and insulated. I used one in S.C. while the temp was 95 on a cool day with 90% humidity.
But if you pull it then get 2 anyway, as stated before you can run 2 on low and turn one off when you don't need it. 50 amp has it's benifits and disadvantages, sometimes you can't get full 50 amp hookups. That's a generator comes in handy.
If I were to order one now I would go for the 2 AC's without even thinking about it.
Do it right
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #10

We have two heat pumps and consider them a vital part of the 5er. At night we close the bedroom doors instead of cooling vacant space while we are sleeping. First one up starts the main unit, if needed, to cool the rest of the living space for the day.
This leads me to a point about A/C use. IMO- If you keep the inside cool from morning on into the hot part of the day, it is much easier to manage inside temperature and humidity. In hot weather, opening windows at night allows all stuffed furniture and carpeting to absorb moisture from night air. Next day your A/C must work hard to remove that humidity, in addition to cooling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes I wish I had three on my 38 foot MH. You can never have too much cooling but you can sure sometimes not have enough. Take the advice from the Texans that have responded and get two a/c's. We know about the Texas "heat index".
Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks all for the good points you have brought up. Several that I hadn't considered. It finally quit raining today so we're of to try to "do the deed" and I'm thinking it will be with two A/C units. Wish me luck!

J&T
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Sometimes I wish I had three on my 38 foot MH. You can never have too much cooling but you can sure sometimes not have enough. Take the advice from the Texans that have responded and get two a/c's. We know about the Texas "heat index".
Texas may have heat but try the same temp with 80 plus humidity. Texas justs gets hot, the South East get HOT and HUMID. THis is what really tests an A/C
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Texas may have heat but try the same temp with 80 plus humidity. Texas justs gets hot, the South East get HOT and HUMID. THis is what really tests an A/C
You've never been to Texas have you. Its not the Hollywood movie set you think. I think if you will do a little research you will find the average summer dewpoint in Houston, Texas(74) is only exceeded by Key West (75). Dewpoint is the real key to stickiness not humidity. Its not an honor we like to have and would gladly let someone else carry the trophy.

At 7 am today:
Houston temp: 81.4
Humidity: 90%
Dewpoint: 78 degrees
Heat Index 90 degrees
Wind: 0.0 mph

Have a nice.

Tags
heartland