Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

Advice please

We just drove from Pennsylvania to Michigan. We are currently parked in a KOA in Petoskey. This morning while looking over the RV(Exel Fifth wheel), I noticed that one of the brake rotors has been eaten half way through on one side. It looks like the brake caliper has been hanging up and the brake pad is almost completely gone(Pad and metal on Pad) Axles are Dexter 8000 lb.

We are new to RV'ing and need advise on what to do. We have all insurance we could get, roadside, Gap and more im sure. Ive called a few Repair places and none can do it right now.

I have all my tools with me and can do the repair myself, but how do I go about getting reimbursed for the Parts? I need to see how hot things got and if bearings are ok. Im comfortable doing the repair but not sure how to get reimbursed for parts (If at all)

Does anyone know if Dexter should or would take care of this? (the RV is less then a yr old) (That is, we have had it less then a yr.) (Its a 2014)

Should I call Dexter? The Manufacturer?

Thanks Shawn
reylocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

If it is still under warranty, you probably should call the dealer/manufacturer to find out what you can do. You may void the warranty if you work on your self. Not sure what Dexter is, but if it is a extended warranty program then you need to contact them first as to how to proceed. Usually you need to take to an authorized repair facility and they will call to get approval to repair. Good luck and keep us posted as how you make out. Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Also. would you just fix it here where it sits in the park? I know some parks say you cannot do maint. on vehicles. Is this different from Maint. Do I tell the park, or just fix it?

Shawn
Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Dexter is the AXle manufacturer
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

No brainer--under warranty, start with the mfg and/or selling dealer to start the ball rolling. Keep records of ALL/WHO you talk to about reimbursements. Many trlr mfgs will allow repairs by a certified mobile technician, but you need to work thru them. Need to find out mfg of brakes (Kodiak?) to get parts info.
By the way, your trailer brand?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Just call Peterson Industries, ask to talk with Ralph, the service manager. He will help you cut through anything you need to in order to get you fixed up and going.

Good luck
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

I have fixed my issue. Trailer brand is EXCEL (AS ABOVE) and brakes/axles are (DEXTER)as above..

Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
reylocs,
If you don't mind telling, how did you fix it? It may help someone else.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #9

After posting online for advise, I called my dealer and asked what to do. their advise was to call our roadside service people, and see who in the area could come out and fix or diagnoise our problem. I made the call to our roadside service and after jumping through all the roadblocks they have in place to get you frustrated, I hung up. I then called to see who could come and do onsite repair, No one could. I then called Peterson (The Manufacturer of our vehicle). Was told the guy I needed to talk to was busy.(He would call back).

I then decided I could have had this diagnoised and went to Tractor Supply and bought a Jack Stand.

I loosened the lugnuts slightly, jacked the wheel up till the tire was just slightly off the ground, and removed the wheel and set the axle on the jackstand.

I then looked over things and noticed that my problem was because the axle manufacturer installed the brake pad on one side of the caliper BACKWARDS, instead of brake pad wear material clamping down on the rotor, there was STEEL on STEEL.

I then did this, a few times.

I then called Peterson and asked for Ralph, Ralph realized how serious this was/could have been, and asked for a Photo to send the axle manufacturer.

I sent the Photo

I know this was not Petersons fault, so to speak, Knowing that the axles are purchased as a complete assembly from Dexter.

I then removed the Brakes and rotor and took all the appropriate pictures and sent them to Peterson.

Ralph then gave me a number to call (Chuck, at Dexter)

Dexter realized it was their fault and is FED/EX 'ing me the parts to our site.

I also checked the Axle bearings and all seems fine.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will get our parts (Rotor and new Pads and I will get them installed today.

All told, It took about half an hour to remove the rotor and pads. (Spent more time on phone tryng figure out what I was (supposed) to do.

This is what I have done and how I have decided to fix this issue, it may not be the best way for someone else to go about it. I see something broken and I fix it, IF, I feel comfortable that I can handle the problem. wether or not it will affect our warranty, who knows. It had to be fixed, it will be fixed correctly, and we didn't have time to go through all the time consuming steps of driving the vehicle to a repair facility, wait the week and a half,THEY, said it would take to get the parts.

Shawn
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Shawn,
That is a great story. Goes to show what a picture will do compared to a verbal complaint/request.
Getting to the right person is the first step, then the realization of what liability would have been had an accident ensued, usually gets fast results.
Good to hear the response from PI and Dexter.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #11

have not had to use Ralph yet, but glad to hear he helped you with you situation. Why no roadside help or mobile service?
flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #12

Glad to hear you are on the way to a solution. Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an IR gun to check the temperature of my tires and brakes every time I stop.

I think you would have spotted the problem early on if you knew how hot it was getting.

I think it's very strange if that assembly came from the factory that way. I wonder if the dealer or someone had worked on it for some reason and goofed it up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #14

Glad to hear you were able to figure out the cause of the problem, and able to fix it yourself. having some mechanical skills and ability to fix things is required at times. Sounds like Dexter is stepping up and getting it resolved. Sucks the orig installation was wrong, but fortunately it is a relatively easy fix.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice