Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Seems most people report 5-7 days on the average size tank.
That is extremely variable. A couple can probably pull that off in a larger A but will be looking at a few days in most C's. If you wonder just start looking at black, gray and fresh tank sizes for a variety of MH sizes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
16 years with a 1996 Southwind and now 3 years with a Monaco Cayman, I have never had a problem with the gauges being reliable. Fortunately now also, the Monaco has a sensor on the toilet flush button that would turn red when the tank is full but I am not sure if I've ever had it do that but once. Keeping those tanks clean is a key. After dumping, I always make sure I dump some of the gray water in the black tank so it can slosh around and clean while I'm on the road. I also never leave the black valve open while hooked up. Hate that other folks have this awful problem!

Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #17

I've had tank sensors on my current and last two rigs and have never had a problem. I always used the 'GEO Method' and flushed the tanks when ever I empty. Worked well so far.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post

One thing we just learned, is that there are services that will "power wash" out your holding tanks and claim to bring them back to almost new condition. We've never used one, but think they might be helpful with holding tank problems.
We used one of those services All Pro Water Flow to clean both our gray and black tanks. We were amazed at the amount of calcified crud that came out of the gray tank. Our black tank was excellent by comparison.

Although the cleaning did restore the gray tank sensor to proper operating condition, the operator was unable to get our black tank sensor to work for more than a day before it went back to its usual "100% full" readout. It doesn't really matter; we get 7+ days on our black tank so dumping it once a week works fine for us. I considered investing in the SeaLevel gauges but decided that I don't need to know the level any more precisely than I can estimate it at present.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

I have a smaller tank. Pick the day of the week you want to dump and dump once a week. Also use plenty of water.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboat View Post
After having the black water back up, having to remove the underbelly and all the insulation, and redoing the plumbing, I have a question. The black tank sensors are unreliable. My tank figures out to be 50-55 gallons. How often do you think my DW and I should dump? Is there a way to determine how full the black tank is? The plumbing is not straight down. The unit is a 2006 40' Travel Supreme 5vr. Thank you.
There are options besides the standard tank sensors that are famous for malfunctioning. One such is here called Horst Miracle Probes:
RV Holding Tank Sensors
There are a couple videos at the page.

I haven't used these. I'm not recommending them but rather just offering up for your consideration.

Here's a YouTube video somebody made showing how to change sensors:
Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #21

Some folks add water softner to their holding tanks (along with liquid soap) to help keep the sides of the tank slick to ensure that the material will not adhere to the side. I have used it and it does seem to work but how would you really tell if it dos not? I think about seven days (or before it burps) would be my guideline.
Catfish
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2catfish View Post
Some folks add water softner to their holding tanks (along with liquid soap) to help keep the sides of the tank slick to ensure that the material will not adhere to the side. I have used it and it does seem to work but how would you really tell if it dos not? I think about seven days (or before it burps) would be my guideline.
Catfish
called the GEO method look it up on google
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
There are options besides the standard tank sensors that are famous for malfunctioning. One such is here called Horst Miracle Probes:
RV Holding Tank Sensors
There are a couple videos at the page.

I haven't used these. I'm not recommending them but rather just offering up for your consideration.

Here's a YouTube video somebody made showing how to change sensors: