Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After Years of Research And Waiting - New Fifthwheel

Like the title says. We sold our 40' pusher 8 years ago. We just could not use it enough to justify as we were both still working. For me, getting burned out on massive forced overtime. You would think that that was a good thing. Taxes ate most of it. :(

Retired a year ago. Lori retires in March. Now we will have time.

The Arctic Fox 27-5L is just the right size for the 2 of us and our 2 Japanese Chins. Looking forward to our first trip.

Taking it slow and outfitting the new addition. The build quality and finish just beats the hell out of our first fifth wheel (Cardinal - by Forrest River).

I'm sure we will have some growing pains with this one, as they ALL have them.

We have looked at numerous brands and floor plans. We liked this one the best.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Like the title says. We sold our 40' pusher 8 years ago. We just could not use it enough to justify as we were both still working. For me, getting burned out on massive forced overtime. You would think that that was a good thing. Taxes ate most of it. :(

Retired a year ago. Lori retires in March. Now we will have time.

The Arctic Fox 27-5L is just the right size for the 2 of us and our 2 Japanese Chins. Looking forward to our first trip.

Taking it slow and outfitting the new addition. The build quality and finish just beats the hell out of our first fifth wheel (Cardinal - by Forrest River).

I'm sure we will have some growing pains with this one, as they ALL have them.

We have looked at numerous brands and floor plans. We liked this one the best.

Best built RV out there. Owned a 05 25P pull behind. Never a issue. Nice size too be pulling. It will follow you around so nicely. We bought a 01 Sunnybrook 27ft last summer. Happy trails...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new trailer paired with a nice looking truck.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Great size unit. Easy to get in and out of campgrounds. Enough room/storage to stay in and be comfortable. Enjoy.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Congrats. Northwood makes a fine RV. Wishing you many happy miles.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the new 5th wheel. It should be a great adventure for you. We are really enjoying our Vanleigh Vilano.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

Nice choice.

I've been looking at several new units myself with some practical experience with 5th wheels, and lots of experience with slide in truck campers.

These were some of the choices I was considering

AirStream TT 30' Classic or Flying Cloud ($$$$$$WOW! Not a 4 season unit)
Grand Design Possible TT or 5th
New Horizon (Limited selection on used units and new ones are cost prohibited)
Excel (Long and very heavy, limited used units available)
Arctic Fox

After owning a nice AF1140 TC w/slideout for about 3 years now. I really enjoy the comfort of a 4 season camper here in the 4 corners region of the US. And so far the build quality of the Northwood line has been pretty good. I was surprised how much storage a guy could get in a truck camper. And the 1140 doesn't dissappoint in that regard. But gosh the unit is heavy when its loaded and wet. Mine is sitting on a Dodge Ram 4500 60" CA 4X4 w/Cummins TD flatbed. And again, by utilizing a flatbed I have tons of room for the bulky camping items, placed along the sides of the camper which are enclosed with custom built side covers.

I was really looking at all the pros and cons of going back to a 5th wheel, but I'm getting stuck on size/length. And then throwing the fact that I need a good 4 season unit the field of choices starts to get thin.
Pulling and finding a place for a 30' unit is so much easier than one over 35'

I'd like to hear more from you Gordon on your reasons why you made the choice for the 27-5L as opposed to the 29-5T. And why 5th over AF's travel trailers?
I personally love the kitchen configuration of the 27 over the 29, but am a bit at a loss on how to add additional comfort seating in the 27.

Enjoy the new rig. Keep us posted on how you're loving the new trailer.

Jeff
wantajustrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantajustrid View Post
Nice choice.

I've been looking at several new units myself with some practical experience with 5th wheels, and lots of experience with slide in truck campers.

These were some of the choices I was considering

AirStream TT 30' Classic or Flying Cloud ($$$$$$WOW! Not a 4 season unit)
Grand Design Possible TT or 5th
New Horizon (Limited selection on used units and new ones are cost prohibited)
Excel (Long and very heavy, limited used units available)
Arctic Fox

After owning a nice AF1140 TC w/slideout for about 3 years now. I really enjoy the comfort of a 4 season camper here in the 4 corners region of the US. And so far the build quality of the Northwood line has been pretty good. I was surprised how much storage a guy could get in a truck camper. And the 1140 doesn't dissappoint in that regard. But gosh the unit is heavy when its loaded and wet. Mine is sitting on a Dodge Ram 4500 60" CA 4X4 w/Cummins TD flatbed. And again, by utilizing a flatbed I have tons of room for the bulky camping items, placed along the sides of the camper which are enclosed with custom built side covers.

I was really looking at all the pros and cons of going back to a 5th wheel, but I'm getting stuck on size/length. And then throwing the fact that I need a good 4 season unit the field of choices starts to get thin.
Pulling and finding a place for a 30' unit is so much easier than one over 35'

I'd like to hear more from you Gordon on your reasons why you made the choice for the 27-5L as opposed to the 29-5T. And why 5th over AF's travel trailers?
I personally love the kitchen configuration of the 27 over the 29, but am a bit at a loss on how to add additional comfort seating in the 27.

Enjoy the new rig. Keep us posted on how you're loving the new trailer.

Jeff
First. The 29-5T is roughly 34 feet long. My RV pad starts ramping down to street level at 37 feet from the back of the pad. Our old 07 Holliday Rambler motor home was 40 feet and barely fit on the pad. The 27-5L is just under 30 feet. When you add from the hitch of the truck forward, it's about 16 feet, so combined it's about 46 feet in length.

The RV pad is fenced with clamshell gates at the corner. While the 29-5T would fit on the flat part of the RV pad, I had a concern about hooking/unhooking with the truck at a steeper angle - not to mention that there is little maneuvering room.

As it turns out, I will still have to move the front fence out about 3 feet, just for additional wiggle room. Not a bit issue.

Second. My wife dislikes where the commode and sink are located. No one likes to feel hemmed in when cleaning up.

Third. TV is way forward in the living area from the chairs. We learned from our first 5er that while we don't watch TV that often, when we do, we would like to be able to see the TV without having an island or sink in the way - and just as important hear it.

Fourth. When you have everything loaded in the trailer, with a 5T would be close to 13,000 lbs. At that weight, I would prefer to tow with a dually.

Fifth. I am more comfortable backing the 27-5L up the 15 foot incline to the pad, then backing a trailer up it. I would not relish disconnecting a trailer on the flat of the pad and the truck with a nose down angle.

The 27-5L is actually a good size for the two of us and our two small Japanese Chin dogs. I had no issues with truck bed clearance, as there was plenty. No dragging the back and the rear stabilizer pins cleared the ramp and pad with plenty of space.

It would have been nice to have a King size bed, but, we sometimes have to make some compromises.

Overall, we found that the 27-5L has plenty of space.

A couple of modifications I have already made. I replaced the door stops to the bedroom and bathroom with magnetic door stops. I also added a Blu-Ray player which plays on the TV at 1080p and 29" Vizio sound bar. Next will be the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System .

Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

Gordon,

All of you talking points make perfect sense.
As you said, I too had a 5th wheel with the TV configuration similar to the 29-5T and yes, its a long way to the tele from the seating position. And sitting on the couch then turning your head 90* doesn't make for relaxing viewing unless lying down.
Our local AF dealer here near Colorado Springs told me they sell more of the 27's than 29's.

So it's good to hear from actual owners the things they like and dislike about their choice. It's always a compromise. Unfortunately there isn't any single rig made that checks every box perfectly.

I actually preferred the bedroom layout of the 27. The night stands on each side and the fact that the queen bed is easier to get around. It makes the space appear larger.

Keep us informed on how you like the set-up months from and now. And, tell us how much time you're spending in the unit. I'm curious to know.

Your rational is really making me think the 27-5L makes it a good choice for my needs.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #10

Second. My wife dislikes where the commode and sink are located. No one likes to feel hemmed in when cleaning up.

She dislikes this in the 27-5L or the 29er?

I'm not completely understanding your reference.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantajustrid View Post

She dislikes this in the 27-5L or the 29er?

I'm not completely understanding your reference.

Jeff
She hated the toilet room of the 29. More room in the 27-5L

Tags
hwh