Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #1

I want to install 4 each, Trojan T-105 batteries in my new trailer. It currrently has one 12 volt battery mounted in a vented battery box that is recessed in the front compartment floor.

The T-105 battery is too large for the standard battery box that came with the trailer. I need some suggestions as to what I should used for a vented battery box for the T-105 batteries. I have contacted 4 battery box manufacturers in the U.S. and none of them make a sealed and vented battery box large enough for the T-105. I also talked to Trojan but they were no help.

There are some NASCAR type boxes that will withstand a major crash but they run about $150 each.

I'm looking for a heavy duty plastic sealed box that will hold one or more T-105 batteries. Each T-105 weight 64 pounds and is 11" long by 11" high by 7-1/2" wide.

Thanks in advance. Dan.

ZZZzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #2

I want to install 4 each, Trojan T-105 batteries in my new trailer. It currrently has one 12 volt battery mounted in a vented battery box that is recessed in the front compartment floor.

The T-105 battery is too large for the standard battery box that came with the trailer. I need some suggestions as to what I should used for a vented battery box for the T-105 batteries. I have contacted 4 battery box manufacturers in the U.S. and none of them make a sealed and vented battery box large enough for the T-105. I also talked to Trojan but they were no help.

There are some NASCAR type boxes that will withstand a major crash but they run about $150 each.

I'm looking for a heavy duty plastic sealed box that will hold one or more T-105 batteries. Each T-105 weight 64 pounds and is 11" long by 11" high by 7-1/2" wide.

Thanks in advance. Dan.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #3

Thought I would have some responses by now.

Just thinking out loud ... I may have to make the battery box myself either out of wood or steel, maybe two boxes with two batteries per box.

Or, maybe a special toolbox would also work.

I prefer a heavy duty polypropylene box that would seal tight quickly

What do you all think ???

Dan.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #4

You might try a marine supply store for the box(s). Can you use the factory vent? I did a similiar job on my old rig, used shop vac hose to the original vent.
Good Luck
Dave

Carri -- '05 Carri-Lite 36KSQ
Dualy Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #5

Dan:

Just a suggestion...go without the batt boxes- all they do is make it harder to service the batteries and collect sand and dirt. I added 4 T105's to my SLC3905, and just fabricated an easy tray for them to sit in, added some 1/2" allthread, then put a plywood cover on top (I still need to paint it!) ...all you want to do is protect all the batt terminals from any foreign objects that could short them out.

Of course, I'm assuming a Hitchhiker II isn't a TT and that you've got a batt compartment for them...

Sean
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #6

OK, I'm the novice in this discussion. I'm not sure what T105's are exactly, but isn't the purpose of the battery box and vent to vent battery gases to the outside? Explosion possibility? Are all the deep cycle batteries lead/acid? My only concern with multiple batteries would be weight, and most times they are in the front compartment, at least on 5th wheels, which means that they pretty much end up being pin weight. That said, I'd buy/make any compartment needed out of the lightest material available. I'm not sure I'd just vent into the compartment instead of to the outside. Would another consideration be acid spillage? If so, plastic would seem to be the material of choice. I'll follow this thread to see what the tech's post on this.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:47 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not sure what T105's are exactly, but isn't the purpose of the battery box and vent to vent battery gases to the outside? Explosion possibility? Are all the deep cycle batteries lead/acid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trojan T105 are Lead/acid batteries. They are 6v golf cart batteries. It is becoming very common for RVers to run 6V batteries in series (to get 12 volts). They are heavier duty batteries, can be deep cycled more times than a standard battery, and have more amp hours in them than a typical RV battery.

The downside to T105s is they are bigger than a normal deep cycle (same footprint, but taller), they weigh more too. Also you would have to rewire to accomodate them.

I have yet to hear or read of someone moving to golf cart batteries that regretted it.

OCDUNE
Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OCDUNE:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not sure what T105's are exactly, but isn't the purpose of the battery box and vent to vent battery gases to the outside? Explosion possibility? Are all the deep cycle batteries lead/acid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trojan T105 are Lead/acid batteries. They are 6v golf cart batteries. It is becoming very common for RVers to run 6V batteries in series (to get 12 volts). They are heavier duty batteries, can be deep cycled more times than a standard battery, and have more amp hours in them than a typical RV battery.

The downside to T105s is they are bigger than a normal deep cycle (same footprint, but taller), they weigh more too. Also you would have to rewire to accomodate them.

I have yet to hear or read of someone moving to golf cart batteries that regretted it.

OCDUNE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't sure about that, but thanks for the info. There is a huge benefit to using the 6 volt batteries, but I'd be nervous using them without properly venting them to the outside. That would require some type of sealed enclosure for them, as well as a vent.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #9

"Dualy Driver" ... A marine supply store may be a good source, Thanks.

"WWFan" ... There's no doubt not using a sealed box seems to work for you, but I'll feel better with a sealed vented box. Thanks for the info and the pic.

"Stylin" ... Thanks to "OCDUNE" for the detailed T-105 explaination. "Yes" to venting the hydrogen gas to the outside and "Yes" 95% of the battery weight will be "pin weight".

I may go with a "4 battery" sealed and vented wooden box coated with rubberized paint inside and out. You can look at "WWFan" pic and visualize what it would look like. Will have to work out "easy access" versus "good sealing". Thanks for asking good questions.

"OCDUNE" ... Thanks for the T-105 explaination and recommendation. They are a great battery but the 5'er manufacturers are not geared-up to use them and Trojan does not seemed interested in developing them as a customer.

Thanks all for your suggestions. any more good ideas ???

Dan.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:02 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Do a web search on "battery Box", and start looking. I know Solar Seller carries boxes that accept 2 6v batteries.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #11

I saw a post somewhere and they used ice chest from WalMart as they come in many sizes and are sealed so vent has to be installed...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #12

I would be concerned that an Ice chest would not hold up to the acid, either as a liquid or gas.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #13

You can find battery boxes sized specifically for T-105's here:

Allied Battery
Old 04-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #14

"Rick A" ... Yes, Rick I have talked to four manufacturers so far that make sealed & vented battery boxes but they do not have one large enough for a Trojan T-105 battery. There are many manufacturers of battery boxes but the lid designs are not sealed. Sealing the lid is the tought part. Venting is easy. Thanks.

"Robert & Kiki" ... An ice chest with a metal outside and a plastic inside with vents added may have potential. I could also paint the outside and inside with a rubber coating. Recess the complete ice chest about halfway into the floor of the compartment and support it with a welded cage. Thanks R&K gotta think on this one.

"OCDUNE" ... The rubber coating may control the "acid" problem. Any other coating work better??

"BurbMan" ... I have been to the Allied site before. Their lids are not sealed to the box like a lot of others. These types of boxes are made for locations that have air flow, not a closed trailer compartments. Thanks for searching though.

Thanks all for your info. The solution is coming. lots of good ideas.