Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
Hensley called me last night and did indicate they have an adapter plate for a TS3 for the Ram puck system and has over all adjustment from 14 to 19" which is the right combo for my application...because of the larger spread of the pucks it was too unruly to make a direct fit. They also indicated they have in house financing for 1 year as it is pretty costly when you add freight. Very nice hitch undoubtedly and very tempting but I still like the idea of the air bags on the truck for leveling which no hitch is going to help. Not really sure if air bags and an air hitch are a wise idea?
When I originally set up my trailer, I went with a Patriot hitch with the solid pin box. The chucking was horrendous and the ride was terrible. I tried the shocks and air bag route on the truck with no change in towing results. Desperate, and not happy about the cost, I order a TS3 and all my issues went a way. I now look forward to towing.

I don't inflate my truck's air bags to tow, in my situation I need the 2 inches of squat to bring my truck and trailer to level. Every situation is different, my trailer is shorter and relatively lightweight compared to yours. I hope your hitch decisions deliver a wonderful tow with that really nice trailer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #30

Before you buy your air bags - if you haven't already - take a good look at Sumo Springs https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/
My RAM has the factory air suspension in the rear but I used Sumo Springs on my previous RAM 3500 dually and an F250. They replace the factory bump stops and engage only when you put a load on the truck. For me, they prevented rear end squat and nicely cushioned the ride.

Happy trails,
Old 02-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #31

I would appreciate some input from the more experienced than I am.

I have a GMC 2500HD, A gooseneck trailer. What would be a minimum acceptable measurement from the top of the bed to the bottom of the trailer. I want to lower my trailer by adjusting the pin. That would lower the trailer 2.5 inches. The distance from trailer to top of bed is only 5.5 inches at its closest point. I am thinking it might hit when crossing a dip while entering a drive or parking lot.
Before adjusting, it is 8 inches.
Yellowcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #32

7" is what Reese Goose box recommends as a minimum. Page 7 on this link http://www.reeseprod.com/support/ins...ion/N94621.pdf
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #33

I have a Chevy DRW with a B&W puck system hitch. I also swapped out the Moryde rubber pin box with a Trail Air pin box and the fifth wheel just seems to glide going down the road eliminating the hard hits.
Your Ram DRW should not squat or need suspension air bags for a FW load.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have a Chevy DRW with a B&W puck system hitch. I also swapped out the Moryde rubber pin box with a Trail Air pin box and the fifth wheel just seems to glide going down the road eliminating the hard hits.
Your Ram DRW should not squat or need suspension air bags for a FW load.

Reading on another forum for trucks Im expecting about 3-4" of squat with my setup so Im going with the load lifters 5000 with the internal bump stops so they can be ran empty. I really just like to be able to adjust it easily if need be which seems a bit harder once were full timing on the road.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #35

You really think air bags will help with 2000 pound overloaded?
Tires, axles, springs, wheels all might need upgrading too.
OH wait, maybe get a dually!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #36

Who are you referring to Don?
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You really think air bags will help with 2000 pound overloaded?
Tires, axles, springs, wheels all might need upgrading too.
OH wait, maybe get a dually!
No...I understand airbags wont increase load capacity at all..but they can help level the anticipated squat for improved suspension longevity and perhaps help take out a bit of the trailer impact...
Im not 2000 over loaded?...my dually can handle far more than the maximum 4K pin weight Im putting on it...To me its all about longevity for full timing and this path seems the most cost effective..air hitches just didnt seem right for me personally considering the cost difference..hope I chose right...time will tell

Tags
5th wheel, air