Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtff722 View Post
Thank you both IC2 & Thunderfoot for the great info . I've always had good luck with FTE and IRV2 in obtaining knowledge and info. I assume Firestone is very user friendly as far as install . My 5er weighs around 12,500 and though it would improve the ride. Does anyone have a better deal on their bags ? Once again thanks for your input gentlemen .
Common SAE hand tools are all you need - along with at least 3-4 uninterrupted hours(regardless of what anyone else says). Probably the hardest part is to remove a DEF tank bracket captured nut and replace with one of their assemblies. Cut the plastic air fill tubing straight, make sure the fittings are snug(I used some Teflon sealant) and you will be set. My Schrader fill valves are bolted to a simple bracket I made up from some aluminum stock and bolted next to the Ford trailer hitch. You will have to experiment with the correct air pressure - I started at 40 psig with the old 5er with 2300# pin weight but the new one, though quite a bit bigger/heavier only seems to need 30 psig for the same ride and 'lift' as it has only about 1800# of pin weight.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #16

I just recently changed my valve set up. It use to be two different valves one for each side. I thought that was a good set up until a buddy of mine had a line get a hole rubbed in it and he almost lost control. So I bought a splitter and now have one valve fills both airbags that way if one looses pressure both sides drop equally
ELCAPITAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #17
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCAPITAIN View Post
I just recently changed my valve set up. It use to be two different valves one for each side. I thought that was a good set up until a buddy of mine had a line get a hole rubbed in it and he almost lost control. So I bought a splitter and now have one valve fills both airbags that way if one looses pressure both sides drop equally
I considered that for mine, but couldn't find a correct tee fitting with a Schrader valve. I didn't want any more potential leak points with a standard tee and another short length of hose to a valve so just tied the lines well to eliminate chafe spots.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #18

Can you get the tee fitting from Firestone air rite also ? I do like the idea of the one fill in case of a failure with one of the lines .
emtff722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the airlift bags and their wirelessONE remote compressor...
BEST money I have spent for my rv vacationing

being able to push the button to change the pressure while in the air conditioned cab AND going down the road is priceless...

and a no brainer to let camping world install it for $39 (think they went up to $69) but STILL not worth me crawling under there doing something I don't want to do or will ever do again
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #20

I added the Firestone bags to my Sierra 2500 HD. Installation was a snap, maybe 11/2 hours total. I connected both bags, and have had no handling issues what so ever. I ran the fill valve out the back, and installed a neat little 12 volt air pump in the front compartment of our 5er. The pump has a gauge so I can always know what pressures I'm at. I simply open the side door, extend the air hose, and fill the bags.
jmerik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #21

I bought some gas line just slightly larger than the tubing that came with the Firestone Ride Rite. Ran it full length from the air bag to the schrader valve. Have never had a problem with rubbing a hole in the tubing and it not very expensive. Gives me peace of mind and really protects the tubing.
NormDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #22

Great idea . Will do the same . Bags are due in Friday .
Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #23

I have a 2013 F-350 and put the Firestone on mine as well with no problems. I did use a tee and put the schrader valve next to the fuel filler, that way it's out of sight and protected.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormDunn View Post
I bought some gas line just slightly larger than the tubing that came with the Firestone Ride Rite. Ran it full length from the air bag to the schrader valve. Have never had a problem with rubbing a hole in the tubing and it not very expensive. Gives me peace of mind and really protects the tubing.
Good idea but what gas line and what fittings did you use? If it's the usual neoprene gasoline line, I'll keep what was supplied
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Good idea but what gas line and what fittings did you use? If it's the usual neoprene gasoline line, I'll keep what was supplied
Sorry, I wasn't real clear on that. After routing the gas line, I pushed the tubing that came with the kit through through the gas line for protection of the tubing and used all the fittings and tubing that came with the air bags.
NormDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #26

Firestone a bags are installed , took longer than expected or I was taking extra precautions . Total time around 6 hrs. Used vacuum hose to wrap the lines . Installed tee fitting and ran the schrader valve down to the trailer plug hook up. All is well . Hooking up in 2 weeks for a week long vacation , will report back later . Thanks to all on the info and suggestions .
Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #27

I used these as I could not put airbags on my truck because one hitch bracket was in the way.. It did the job for half the cost and installed in 45 min.

Suspension Enhancement System Lookup - Timbren Industries
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHooper View Post
Has anyone installed air bags on their tow vehicle? Does it help ease the road conditions we encounter? I'm not likely to do the installation on this myself so if you've added them to your vehicle, what did you buy and did you have a nationally-recognized company install them? Thanks!
Yes and yes. I have a 2008 F-250 PSD SRW. I have Air-Lift airbags and Ranch Hand installed them for me. I honestly think they would have been easy enough for me to install myself, but at the time my arthritis was giving me fits.

I did not get the onboard air to compliment them, and now I wish I had.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow