Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Not to be insulting but air bags and helper springs are putting a band aide on a bleeding wound. If ya need that stuff. Its time for a bigger truck. Your leveling the load and fixing the headlights pointing in the sky. But what about the rear axle, rear brakes, and added stress from carrying the heavier load that the air bags are covering up for.
You should not paint the use of air bags with such a broad brush. I installed a set of air bags for a friend several years ago, that had an F350 DRW Pickup and the pin weight set his truck down to where the upper overloads were about a 1/4" from touching the frame contacts. Every bump he hit it would bang and clunk when the overloads made contact. Air bags lifted the truck an inch or so to prevent this and smoothed the ride of his truck.

My truck with 5th wheel hitched sits level without airbags, no headlights pointing to the sky, and with them I run about 30lbs with the 5th Wheel hitched and it gives a smoother ride also. I'm not over the axle rating either so any mention of overloading the rear axle or any other component is wrong. Not covering up anything.

Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #44

I agree that if a guy has to install helper products on a truck there's a problem. I'm in that category myself. I bought a 2000 F250 crew cab diesel with tow package at a deal. I had a 1993 F250 diesel with tow package also. On the 93 I was replacing U-joints and bought the ones for an F250 but they didn't fit. I took them back to the parts supplier and the guy said "oh..you must have a tow package that takes F350 U-joints". Evidently an F250 with a tow package has a one ton rear end. So, for years I thought an F250 diesel with a tow package could pull the weight of a 350. When I bought my 1994 32 ft 5th wheel I was quite the newbie. I never considered the gvwr or gcvwr. So now I'm in a predicament. Sell my truck and take a loss.. (since buying it for $8000 I have installed new transmission, ball joints, gauges, chip, new tailgate, airbags, cold air intake and more)? Sell my 5th wheel... (I bought it for $5000.00 from a lady who got it in her divorce settlement) and look for a newer one with an aluminum frame? Or keep my truck just for work and buy a truck just to pull my camper twice a year?

Never would I have thought a Super duty truck would legally be able to haul itself, two passengers, a full tank of fuel and maybe 600lbs! So at this time I can only "upgrade" to pull what I have...drive slow, keep 10 car lengths between myself and what's in front of me, install heavy duty brakes and wait until I can afford a better set up.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Not to be insulting but air bags and helper springs are putting a band aide on a bleeding wound. If ya need that stuff. Its time for a bigger truck. Your leveling the load and fixing the headlights pointing in the sky. But what about the rear axle, rear brakes, and added stress from carrying the heavier load that the air bags are covering up for.
Will I can only speak for the Ram trucks both the 2500HD and the 3500HD SRW trucks. They have the same axles, brakes, frames, spring packs minus one spring leaf on the 2500, wheels and tires on them up to and including the 2012 model year.
The only reason for the air bag is to allow the front axle to carry a little more load on it by raising the bed of the truck. Do a free body diagram and you will see that some of the load will be shifted forward. The air bag supports which eliminate the bump stops will have an improved ride of the truck over a non-air bag truck when the pressure is adjusting correctly.

Jim W.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #46

Air Bags.

I read in the forum about folks who believe air bags are a band aid and you need more truck. I have used Air LIft bags on the last three Rams. The last two being a 2012 and now a 2014 Dually with all the upgrades. I have always towed heavy. I now tow a 40 foot Mobile Suites. The air bags are great. What they do if they really help to ease out the ride. I do not need them for the weight on my truck but they have always been a nice addition when traveling over the great road system in this country. I use the Air LIft 5000 Ultimate which have their own bumper inside and can be run with air when not loaded. On this truck I added a compressor it just makes things a little nicer. I run 15 lbs or so when towing and it makes a great difference in the ride.
retispcsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #47

I understand why you posted this but I added air bags and am still within GM ratings. I was not content with the bow in the springs.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #48

Thanks for all your comments!
JerryHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #49

I will say that air bags made a world of difference towing my 5th wheel. Even my 16 ft cargo trailer I use for work tows so much smoother.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #50

Air bags on tow vehicle?

2007 GMC 2500HD duramax.. Had Firestone airbags with on board compressor installed at dealer when I bought truck.. They make the world of difference for payloads yet give flexibility for softer ride when not needed..

I started with 21 foot toy hauler, then 27 foot toy hauler and now tow 2014 Alpine 3010RE.. The air bags level truck at about 75 psi, fifth wheel is level.. Toys like a dream... Get the air bags and you won't be sorry..

I've read and read the post here About air bags on the negative side and I just don't agree at all.. They work, work well, and I live in Idaho and operate in the mountains and such..

All being said.. Air bags. Nor nothing else will compensate for a severely overloaded tow setup.. That's why I stayed at 36 feet with our new fifer, try to watch my loading, and I tow at 62mph..

Run 80 psi cold in fiver tires and 80 in rear tires on truck

Ride is stable, handles well on downgrades, handles well in high winds...

Just saying
Cvsteed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow