Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Air Con Question

Our new to us unit has two ducted air con units. The forward one which is in the kitchen covers the kitchen forward to the front living room area. The back air con unit handles the bedroom and bathroom. The back half of the coach is nice and cool. The forward air con unit when ducted seems to not be effective going through the ducts and the front living room gets a bit warm on a hot Florida afternoon. I plan to take the unit back to Lazy Days when I get back to the Tampa area to see if there is a leak in the duct or what issue is preventing proper cooling to the living room. When vented through the duct system is is a fairly low volume of air coming out of the ducts.

To my point of the question.It seems to work best when it gets hot out to bypass the duct and open the vent directly on the air con unit. It is louder but a good flow of cold air does come directly out of that vent. When we did our walk through the tech who preformed the walk through said we were supposed to only open that vent on the unit for no more then an hour, after that he said close it and let the air go through the duct system. So why would this be bad for the air conditioner if it blew from the vent for longer then an hour? My old MH had two A/C units and the coach had no duct system and it blew through the unit all the time. The owner manual doesn't seem to provide any information regarding this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
The tech probably told you that to keep it from freezing up (condensation on the condenser fins), but your problem most likely is that the ducts for the front one have probably collapsed or are blocked. Both are not uncommon, as they're not regular metal ducts. Some are only plastic foam and can easily get deformed. Then there's the sloppy manufacturer tech that doesn't clean hole debris out, etc. Pull the grill, look around with a flashlight & maybe a mirror, and you'll probably find the problem.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my case it is the bedroom that gets (or got) warm on a hot afternoon.

BUT.. Motorhomes do warm up 30,000 BTU is not enough, You really need 45,000 but alas..You do not likely have the amps for it.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

If I don't leave the by-pass open just a little bit there is not enough air flow over the evaporator and it will ice up under high load. The bedroom temperature never seems to get comfortable for me before the thermostat shuts the unit off.