Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #1

Air conditioning

My fifth wheel has a 15,000 BTU A/C and that fine when we are hooked up to shore power. Currently, I have a 2000w generator and that won't do it for that A/C. Has anyone tried one of the portable floor model A/C that are around 5,000 BTU and built for cooling one room? They have a hose that connects to a window for letting the hot air out. You can get them at Home Depot for around $300 dollars.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you considered a RV Swamp Cooler?
Stay Cool with TurboKOOL - Advanced RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Coolers

TurboKool
Operates with a solar panel and/or on a standard 12-volt system
Amp draw: High: 4.6 amps Med: 3.2 amps Low: 2.2 amps
Maintenance FREE (only one moving part)
Temperature reduction is usually between 20 - 30 degrees
No generator or 110v power needed to run TurboKOOL
Fits all standard 14" x 14" roof vent openings
Unit can also be used as an exhaust fan

Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #3

A swamp cooler is great in dry climates like California and all the west coast deserts. It is my understanding that they don't work we'll in a humid area such as the southern states. Is that correct?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brqyvn View Post
A swamp cooler is great in dry climates like California and all the west coast deserts. It is my understanding that they don't work we'll in a humid area such as the southern states. Is that correct?
Correct. Putting more moisture into already moist air doesn't really cool
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #5

The Turbokool would be great for the few times I camp when it is over 90. Most of the times I go, the high is going to be 85 or lower. I open all the windows and crank up the fantastic fan if it gets too warm inside. Where I camp, it cools off fast once the sun goes down.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It is recommended for areas where the average relative humidity does not exceed 75%
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
My fifth wheel has a 15,000 BTU A/C and that fine when we are hooked up to shore power. Currently, I have a 2000w generator and that won't do it for that A/C. Has anyone tried one of the portable floor model A/C that are around 5,000 BTU and built for cooling one room? They have a hose that connects to a window for letting the hot air out. You can get them at Home Depot for around $300 dollars.

We have not used these in the 5th wheel but I have had occasions to use them at work if we lose an A/C unit on one of our computer rooms.

The units themselves work quite well for our application. Not sure of the amp draw. Not excessively noisy. Just make sure your generator can handle the start up amperage of the unit without a voltage drop.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

I thought that this one might assist in cooling the bedroom for our trip to NM and CO as those are low humidity and we only have a single AC.

AF-310 NewAir Evaporative Cooling Fan With Ionizer and Remote - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!

The price is low enough to use for a single trip.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:

The portables are less efficient than window mount units, but a 5K unit still should be less than 600 running watts. If the store has a decent return policy (Most HD items are 90 days), buy it and try it. If there is a setting that allows you to run the fan only (without the compressor), you can start up on fan only, then a few seconds later switch to full cooling. That means you don't get the surge of both the fan motor and compressor starting at the same time, which will put less of a load on your genny.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe I will get one at HD and return it if it doesn't do the job.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #11

The 2000 watt generator should run the 15k AC just fine. 2000 watts at 115VAC is around 17 amps of power. The 15k unit should need around 12 amp to start and around 7-9 amps once running. If your generator is having trouble with one AC perhaps it's not actually generating what it's rated at?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #12

Are you running anything else, like battery charger? 2000W shold be sufficient. With hat said, you would want to make sure the AC has a hard start capacitor and delay timer so it can't restart within 5 minutes of turning off.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #13

Smile

my Honda 3000 runs mine great Wayne