Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2005, 04:58 AM   #1

Looking at buying an air hitch, what are my options? What works and doesen't? I will be putting it on a 1 ton dually that already has a reese rocker in it. I was looking at easyrider and noticed that I can buy only what I need and not the whole hitch. Seemed like a economical way to go.

Tom C.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2005, 04:58 AM   #2

Looking at buying an air hitch, what are my options? What works and doesen't? I will be putting it on a 1 ton dually that already has a reese rocker in it. I was looking at easyrider and noticed that I can buy only what I need and not the whole hitch. Seemed like a economical way to go.

Tom C.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #3

The best designed air ride fifth wheel hitch currently available is the Trailer Saver. Why you would need one on a little truck is the question. Usually required for trucks with heavy rear suspension which shocks the cabover frame of the fiver. Do a little more research and save $'s.
Luck, Jim
Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 AM   #4

Gmachine

I have seen several fifth wheel trailers with broken cabover frames from little trucks and do not wish to join those ranks. Plus when I ordered my truck I ordered the heavyist front and rear suspension I could, and it is stiff. Plus my trailer only having about 1800 pin weight does not soften it to much. As far a saving money, I did that once on my last trailer and installed an air lift pinbox. Now I have a differant trailer and I am back in the same boat. I should have spent the money and bought the hitch the first time.

Thanks for the info I will check into trailer saver.

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 12:57 PM   #5

twc88 the Trailer Saver hitch is top quality and low maintenance all the way. Two years an nearly 10,000 mi. The Holland Head is second to none. When you hitch per instruction your locked no mistake period. I always check w/jacks barley up for safety but would not trust any of my old heads or one's I have seen. Mine is installed along with Ride Rite truck bags and compressor w/dual valve. I use one valve for the truck and one for the hitch. Nice for in motion adjustments. WhenI was shoping my list came down to two. Trailer Saver and McCall by D-Square industries - New Mexico.Mr McCall's was a little heavier and he wanted at the time for me to come to New Mexico. Both offer Holland heads. These were the only two mfg's I found that did not DOG the other mfg's. They actually had praise for each others product. First class service from Steve Dobbs and Jerry Clark. Keep the dust on ya boot/poco
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #6

I would agree with Jim, (gmachine). I do not think you need the air hitch. If you do decide, I would go with the Trailer Saver.

Tom, I used to pull a Titanium with a Ford dually. Even though the pin weight of the Titanium was low, (mine was less than 2.000 lbs), that is enough weight to make the Ford truck springs give when you encounter rough terrain.
I would save your money. Just put some extra stuff that is heavy under the storage compartment under your bed. I used to keep a case or two there!
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 AM   #7

Thanks to all. The Trailer Saver seems to be the best way to go. I hear what is being said about not needing one and I am pondering that myself. But after having an air pin box on my last trailer, I know what gains in ride are possible for truck and trailer. Also, I do tend the put a few miles on; I don't own a lawn ornament like some people do. I just wish work didn't get in the way so much.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #8

i have both the trailer saver and the easy rider ,
and i really like the easy rider better,
it is smoother and moves in a better floating manor,

either way, you will love either hitch ,

those ridged hitches i see people use are a joke and will kill your trailer !
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 AM   #9

Interesting thread. I have researched available air hitches also. I have made these observations from what I can see - - how close am I?

TrailerSaver - - 1) mostly designed for MDT's or bigger, 2) it has hinged design with does not allow for any fore/aft - side movement of the pin, 3) hinge design, by it's very nature, does not directly move up and down, therefore could induce fore/aft motion while in operation, 4) more difficult to adjust height of the hitch - must use blocks under it to accomplish this, 5) seems to be very well made, 6) cheaper ($) than Air Ride.

Air Rider - - 1) height easily adjusted just as a normal hitch, 2) moves directly up and down (not hinged) plus allows some movement fore/aft 3) available with the Hensley head, 4) I am leary of the slide assembly using some plastic-type of bearing.

Then there is also the Easy Rider. I am not comfortable with their steel bearing assembly which has open greased tracks allowing dirt and grit to accumulate in that track. It is not finished as nice as Air Ride and does not use Hensley head. Also more money. It also does not allow any fore/aft motion, strictly up and down.

How close am I, those who are familiar with these types? I presently have the MORryde pin (which I will still use) which is terrific in reducing the fore/aft motion, but it does not protect the up/down impact of bumps on the trailer frame. Don't want to repair it again.

Bob
Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I presently have the MORryde pin which is terrific in reducing the fore/aft motion.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob,

Not to hijack this thread, but could you expound just a bit on what led you to install the MorRyde pin and what your results were? I've been considering this for our 5th wheel to get rid of some minor to moderate surging and chucking when stopping on uneven or washboarded pavement as well as under certain acceleration conditions.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #11

i have always used the air ride hitch,
i have the trailer saver and the easyrider,

the easy rider works better and is smoother.

the air ride is a stolen copy from the easyrider, and it dose not use bearings and has alot of stiction.

having an air ride hitch is the only way to go.

i have customers that have the rubber pin box, ( its a joke )

and the trail air pin box is far from being good.

i will hook up my truck with the easyrider in it on customers rigs and they can not believe the difference and how well the ride is.

i get alot of damadged trailers that have the ridged hitch .

all these newer light weight trucks we use are **** on the ft frame area of a 5er.

i have a drw long bed and a short srw truck.

with the air ride they both ride very well,

the shorty acually hits bumps way better than the drw truck .

with the air hitch and air bags and or air ride rear suspension you can set the ride height of thr truck and 5er going down the road and really get the weight distributed for an increidible ride.

then you hook up the rancho 9000 and you can adj damping also on the fly and you wont even know the trailer is there.

the tripple axle units with the xps on them hold the srw truck on the road just like a tag axle on a motor home ,

the thing is so stable and the hitch makes for better braking and controll.
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #12

Hi Rusty, been a while.

I think the larger the fiver the more the opportunity for the chucking. My 8000# truck cannot resist the urge to suddenly change speeds when that 16,000# behind it gives the command. We were tired of the chucking action. I looked over the available options and chose the MORryde. It was a very good choice. The change in the ride was quite dramatic in reducing the chucking and the price is less that 1/3 of an air hitch. I am quite happy with the ride and would not change a thing, except: read on - - -

The reason I am now going to add an air hitch is I had major frame problems in the kingpin area of the fiver. Luckily it was a factory recall and all bills were paid by the factory - - they were terrific in supporting me even to the point of 2 day air shipping the new structural members to Anchorage, AK. The new framing is twice the thickness of the old and is braced entirely differently. However, I am now somewhat gunshy, even though I think the repair facility did a wonderful job. I want to cushion that blow to the framing. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with the air hitch in spite of my dislike of the problems of air bags and the extra expense.

Take care,
Bob
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #13

I am buying a Sunnybrook 30RKFS and Mor Ryde has a "moving hitch" that I am gonna order . Also a friend of mine has a Hitchhicker and he got some kind of air, or moving thing (I really dont know what I am talkoing about) Its not a hitch it goes on the pin..Hope you guys understand what I am saying

Thanks for all of your help\\
Tom
destin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Here is more information on the MorRyde pin that's being discussed.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote